Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Do You Know Which Fitting to Apply Thread Locker?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 01:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How Do You Know Which Fitting to Apply Thread Locker?

Is there a general rule of thumb when applying a thread locker on certain fittings? Which ones call for it and which ones don't? The instructions for my Nitrous Outlet kit were pretty shady so that's why I'm asking.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you mean thread sealer? never used loctite on any fittings couldnt see why youd want to.pipe threads require a thread sealent and AN fittings use nothing dont know if this helps.thread locker is probly for the screws for mounting sielonoids to brackets.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used red loctitite on everything except the lines running to the nozzle, the end that hooks to the jet/nozzle.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO NOT USE LOCTITE ON NITROUS FITTINGS!!!

You want to use thread SEALER. Loctite will not come off unless you use heat and air powered tools (aka: not a good idea for delicate nitrous fittings). Sealer white colored and seals the threads so nothing escapes through the threads. I used it on all of my fitings, including the AN fittings. You don't have to use it on AN Fittings, since they're angled to seal when tightened down all the way, but I figured a little sealant couldn't hurt.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:32 AM
FormerVendor

Click and view page 7. There is a picture of where to put it and where not to.

Nick
Old 05-10-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WS.666

You want to use thread SEALER. Loctite will not come off unless you use heat and air powered tools (aka: not a good idea for delicate nitrous fittings). Sealer white colored and seals the threads so nothing escapes through the threads. I used it on all of my fitings, including the AN fittings. You don't have to use it on AN Fittings, since they're angled to seal when tightened down all the way, but I figured a little sealant couldn't hurt.
your wrong. if you need help breaking them loose give us a call. LOL need more than 6"lb arms.....

OP. if its pipe thread example into noids, use a small amount of red locktite or i like loctite brand thread sealer seems to seal and hold them well but have used red in the past with no issues. a small amount is all thats needed. if its -an it should be flared(or uses the jet flare) and that makes the seal. there are some non flared an fittings that use o-rings but i doubt you have any on an off the shelf kit...
Old 05-10-2010, 03:13 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS.666

Another fine example of someone that shouldn't be giving advice...
Old 05-10-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

And how often do you remove the fitting running tot he solenoids, purge etc? Mine are on there for a while, only ones ill ever take off is the ones at the nozzle to swap jets. And red loctite is not impossible to get off. Maybe you should do some reading, if HSW will say use teflon paste or red loctite in there instructions, im pretty sure your good to use it.

Last edited by itsslow98; 05-10-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:40 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by itsslow98
You obviously have no idea who shiznity is if you think that.

And how often do you remove the fitting running tot he solenoids, purge etc? Mine are on there for a while, only ones ill ever take off is the ones at the nozzle to swap jets. And red loctite is not impossible to get off. Maybe you should do some reading, if HSW will say use teflon paste or red loctite in there instructions, im pretty sure your good to use it.
What are you smoking?? read again who he quoted.

We use red loctitie on everything and never had a problem. Have had the kit apart a couple of times and they come off perfect. and yes it goes on all npt fitting aka pipe threads aka the ones with no taper to them.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

from wwat ive read and over viewd only on NPT threads
Old 05-10-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry I read too fast lol i edited my post
Old 05-10-2010, 10:58 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Sorry I read too fast lol i edited my post
hahaha. I figured. No biggie to me, I thought it was funny.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:48 AM
FormerVendor

From stuff I've seen in the shop, just watch how much sealer/product you actually use. I've seen loctite gel up and hang up a plunger from too much being used and I've actually also seen teflon paste harden and form a trail up into the plunger cavity and hang the piston up...honestly this is a perfect case where "a lil dab will do ya".

Nick
Old 05-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Graham@NitrousOutlet

They both can be bad if you use it excessively. We have used medium grade loctite & teflon paste on NPT fittings. On occasion a thread has leaked with Teflon paste, removed it, cleaned it, and replaced it with Loctite and it sealed. As far as AN fittings go, they are compression fittings and seal exactly that way.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:16 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by camscam02
What are you smoking?? read again who he quoted.

We use red loctitie on everything and never had a problem. Have had the kit apart a couple of times and they come off perfect. and yes it goes on all npt fitting aka pipe threads aka the ones with no taper to them.
LOL

I use both to be honest. red Loctite on my dist. blocks and teflon paste on pretty much everything else. The main reason I quoted WS.666 was because of him saying to put paste on AN fittings....
Old 05-11-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I some times put a little assy. lube on my an fittings it keeps them from gallin g. red lok tite is for pussies
Old 05-12-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1lejohn
I some times put a little assy. lube on my an fittings it keeps them from gallin g. red lok tite is for pussies
no you need a sealant on pipe threads so its for smart guys not pansies... you could run them in like he-man but then next time you will have to go farther etc. eventually your aluminum fittings are junk or clocked at an agle that is not where you want it. red loctight is good for setting angles exactly where you want and then they seal and set.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks guys. I'm such an idiot. I applied thread locker on the NPT fittings around the solenoids.

Thanks Nick for the link. Very detailed instructions rock.

Quick Reply: How Do You Know Which Fitting to Apply Thread Locker?