Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed plugs and wires in prep for nitrous, now issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Changed plugs and wires in prep for nitrous, now issues

I just changed my plugs over to br7ef's in preparation for a 150 wet shot. Used new msd wires and everything was double checked. Set gap at .032 and now here comes the symptoms. The car seems to idle well, and drives the same but is very noticeably slower. I am pretty sure this is a result of the plugs which i would be ok with but it has me concerned and just wanted some feedback from anyone else's experience with these plugs. I dont know what is going on but i am throwing codes also, for a passenger side o2 which i replaced and the maf, i havent read the codes since it happened last, i think the maf is fixed but i dont know whats happening with the o2. Really just a little concerned with the drop off in power, car used to be very quick, now i feel like im sitting staring at the rpms waiting to shift. This is all not a problem as nitrous should be in soon but if anyone has any input id appreciate it. Thanks, Paul
Old 05-18-2010, 09:33 PM
9 Second Club

Changing the plugs should not do that im running #9 plugs with no issues runs the same as 7 and 8s I have had in before.
I would double check and make sure you have all the sensors pluged in or if a sensor went bad. Idle sensore maf sensoner or etc.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we had a 02 go bad and it kept throwing maf codes and poping the fuse. Something is up those plugs should not cause this much issue. try the old wires. then try the old plugs maybe you have a broke plug. down a hole will make it not run strong. its worth about .4 in et. we found this out last year when someone forgot to plug a cyl in after changing the plug... cough cough wayne cough cough...LOL
Old 05-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, i guess i will try putting the old plugs back in and see what happens, thanks
Old 05-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

The one thing i dont understand is it never threw a code for a misfire or anything like that, if a plug wasnt functioning, or a wire was loose, wouldnt it throw a code?
Old 05-19-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea make sure none of the plugs are cracked. I've worked at an auto parts store and watched boxes of plugs get dropped all the time.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

I never noticed anything, but im sure it could have gone unnoticed, if a plug was broken or a wire was loose, would any codes be thrown? the only codes ive seen have been for o2's and the maf which i think has been fixed?
Old 05-19-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We pulled a cracked plug out of my gf's car last time and it wasn't throwing any codes. I would just go over each plug and wire again.