Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plug Reading Pop Quiz

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 06:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Plug Reading Pop Quiz

The pictured BR7EF saw one N/A quarter-mile pass followed by two 100-shot passes. The passes included staging-lane and return-road time but no street time. The plug was removed in the pits after the third pass. I record each pass using HPTuners Scanner and have good timing and wideband data for all three passes. Can an experienced plug reader see what my third data log shows?
Attached Thumbnails Plug Reading Pop Quiz-two-100-shot-passes-1.jpg   Plug Reading Pop Quiz-two-100-shot-passes-2.jpg  
Old 06-12-2010, 06:28 PM
9 Second Club

probably a trick question....

but ill take a shot...

looks to me like it was detonating but that might be metal from when you cut it?

also looks to be rich and or have a small oil issue with the base that dark
Old 06-12-2010, 06:34 PM
10 Second Club

Not a trick question. I wondered about the flecks on the insulator but I'm pretty sure there was no detonation. Fuel was Sunoco 96-octane unleaded and there was zero knock retard. I'll hold back timing and AFR for now. Thanks for the reply Cam - I may take a trip to Sacto soon and I hope to meet you.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I deff not an experienced plug reader so forgive me but I just want to see if what I've learned is close to what the pros say, probably not, lol.

Timing looks ok, running a little rich, deff some specs as Cam pointed out but they are up for debate due to cut off tool like Cam stated.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:40 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gary Z
Not a trick question. I wondered about the flecks on the insulator but I'm pretty sure there was no detonation. Fuel was Sunoco 96-octane unleaded and there was zero knock retard. I'll hold back timing and AFR for now. Thanks for the reply Cam - I may take a trip to Sacto soon and I hope to meet you.
If those metallic specs aren't from cutting off the threads it was detonating for sure, its pretty covered from what I can see.

Yea, def. let me know when you plan to head out, I may be in town or not depends on the timing. Hope to see you out there. There are some things im pondering about your runs, but ill wait to see the datalog you are talking about to see if im right.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:19 PM
10 Second Club

To help answer the detonation question, I gave the insulator a little compressed air. I should have thought of this before.
Attached Thumbnails Plug Reading Pop Quiz-two-100-shot-passes-3.jpg  

Last edited by Gary Z; 06-12-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:16 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Next time don't even run the plugs on the return road....
Old 06-13-2010, 10:21 AM
9 Second Club

If you drive it at all after the pass the plugs wont show you much of anything on fueling.

I looked at Justins plugs the other nite after a pass and the 1st thing I asked him was.... "you didnt cut it off at the stripe did you?" he said no it ran maybe a few seconds while I made sure the other car didnt run into me (guy was heading for his lane for a second).
I could tell as soon as I looked at them that they had some run time on them ( a few seconds makes a big diffenence) now what do you think driving it back from a pass will do to them?

Looks like a hair to much timing to me.
Also just because the stuid knock sensor didnt show anything doesnt mean anything.
Turn that **** off so you dont try to use it for tuning.

With all that said get us some clean plugs to look at .... shut motor off right at the stripe, do not start it up until you get us 3 plugs out.... #7, #8 #4

Not that you need all this for a 100 shot but you can learn what to do and look for on this little hit and hopefully not hurt anything when you want to step it up.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ATVracr
If you drive it at all after the pass the plugs wont show you much of anything on fueling.

I looked at Justins plugs the other nite after a pass and the 1st thing I asked him was.... "you didnt cut it off at the stripe did you?" he said no it ran maybe a few seconds while I made sure the other car didnt run into me (guy was heading for his lane for a second).
I could tell as soon as I looked at them that they had some run time on them ( a few seconds makes a big diffenence) now what do you think driving it back from a pass will do to them?

Looks like a hair to much timing to me.
Also just because the stuid knock sensor didnt show anything doesnt mean anything.
Turn that **** off so you dont try to use it for tuning.

With all that said get us some clean plugs to look at .... shut motor off right at the stripe, do not start it up until you get us 3 plugs out.... #7, #8 #4

Not that you need all this for a 100 shot but you can learn what to do and look for on this little hit and hopefully not hurt anything when you want to step it up.
Good post ATV.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:56 PM
10 Second Club

I am a novice plug reader and concede that my plugs may be hopelessly contaminated. I just got excited because this is the first time I’ve seen a blue stripe on the ground strap and a fuel ring on the insulator. Since I also have good timing and AFR data I thought this was a chance to learn something. I haven’t wanted to stop on the return road to pull a plug because if you don’t get back to the booth quickly the girl won’t be able to find your timeslip. Anyhow, here is the record of my third run. Timing was 18.5, AFR was approximately 11.5, a bit rich.
Attached Thumbnails Plug Reading Pop Quiz-run-3.jpg  
Old 06-13-2010, 07:10 PM
9 Second Club

you have a good amount of time in between shifts, clean that up and you will gain a good bit of time.

either way looks like you know which direction tune wise to go in.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by camscam02
you have a good amount of time in between shifts, clean that up and you will gain a good bit of time.
My time between shifts is good - it’s the amount during shifting that’s the problem.