Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will progessively holding 600 rwtq keep motor together on huge shot??

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 01:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will progessively holding 600 rwtq keep motor together on huge shot??

Alright...On a small 150-200 shot, tq spikes to say (example) 600 rwtq on the launch...

If i spent time on my dyno with a progressive controller and ramped the nitrous in to hold 700 rwtq all the way to say 6000 rpm... (example is a 450 rwhp n/a setup)

Would it be no harder on the motor to spray 700rwtq @ 3000 (400rwhp) than it is any harder on the motor than 700rwtq @ 6300 rpm (840rwhp) ,given that the crank/rods are up to it)????

Because I know i cant spray a 400-500 out of the hole...but if i can carefully progressively control it (RPM based) then i can spray a 400 rwhp shot on the motor and it should live nicely eh?????
Old 01-23-2004, 03:53 PM
Banned

ttttt
Old 01-24-2004, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

there are other things to consider besides just the crank and rods.
as for stress on the motor i dont have enough experience to comment and would rather not guess on something like that, so heres another TTT for ya.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Man...you and I must share brains...I swear. I am with you on that thinking. The only engine component that will have cumulatively more stress with the smae TQ across an RPM range would seem to be the crank. And getting a strong crank is not too hard.

I modeled my rpm based dual stage system with that Tq limiting in mind. I believe your thinking on this to be sound!!!
Old 01-25-2004, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
Man...you and I must share brains...I swear.
Thats what I was thinking when I first read this post lol, he seems to be a few months behind you is all.

Both of you keep it up, I am really liking the ideas coming from both of you
Old 01-25-2004, 12:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
Man...you and I must share brains...I swear. I am with you on that thinking. The only engine component that will have cumulatively more stress with the smae TQ across an RPM range would seem to be the crank. And getting a strong crank is not too hard.

I modeled my rpm based dual stage system with that Tq limiting in mind. I believe your thinking on this to be sound!!!

Hahah..TELL me about it...everytime i have a new idea, i come on and its exactly what your trying/doing also! lol...great minds think alike eh???
1) I thought the timing maps based on airflow for a dry kit might work, and boom your already doing it and have it perfected...saved me some time and work
2) nitrogen push systems
3) now this..hehehe..

Ok...i will have to try this setup but heres one thing i havent figured out..

All this nitrous ramping is going to take place in 1st gear...by the top of first gear ill be on the full amount of nitrous...but when i hit 2nd gear and the rpms drop, how am i going to get the nitrous to start ramping in again..because itll still be at 400 rwhp 100% shot, but rpms will drop to say 5000 rpm or so..which means torque will spike up on the shift...

any progressives that will do it in every gear?? so i can setup a different ramping for 2nd and 3rd gear??
Old 01-25-2004, 12:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Check out the new NX maximizer controller. I saw it at the PRI show. I seem to remember it had some RPM based functions.
Its tough to get the best of both worlds on a car like yours.
Obviously you want to ramp up the juice on launch in a time based method to be able to put down maximum power vs traction. But as you say on the next shift you are going to be back in the lower rpms and get a tq spike since juice will remain at full flow.
I do believe the NX maximizer has a gear counter (how that works I dont know)
as well as both rpm and time based setups. I think you may be able to do everything you need to with that. Not sure.

On my M6 car. I have two rpm window switches to activate the first and second stage. It splits the big hit of a 300 shot and limits Tq to around 700 when either stage hits.

My original plan was to use atleast three stages and three window switches. First stage would be whatever size shot was needed to bring TQ up to 700 ft/lbs at 3000 rpm. Than as Tq tapered off with rpm (as nitrous cars do) I would continue to "bump" the Tq back up to 700 ft/lbs at various rpm intervals.

So it might be like this:
3000 rpm 165 shot
4400 rpm 75 shot
5600 rpm 70 shot
Or whatever it took to maintain as flat a tq line near 700 as possible. Obviously if you had like ten stages you could get that Tq line very flat and controllable. But thats overkill. Doing it this way SHOULD keep you motor safe (esp on an M6). You can grab any gear on the highway and it will fall into that safe TQ area. Same as a launch from a stop.

But again...check out that new Maximizer...it may be what your looking for. It uses either a Palm PDA or a PC to program the controller and seems to do just about everything.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look at Rob Rayners dyno on his 800+ torque...it carries a lot of torque for a long time
Old 01-25-2004, 11:36 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is exactly why im intent on switching my system from a 2 stage to a 3 stage. I wish someone would make a progressive controller that worked off of RPM with a globe style throttling valve instead of these chicken **** solenoids. Then we could get TRUE RPM based proggresive nitrous. This would allow us to hang on the ragged edge of the engines torque capabilities