Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9 psi or 14 psi for stand alone fuel system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 9 psi or 14 psi for stand alone fuel system?

Any possible benefits of running a little higher psi on the fuel side? Trying to decide on a fuel pump. I can't see any difference at all, but maybe others can?
Old 01-27-2004, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

it will depend on what brand u go with... I have NOS Pro Race Fogger/NOSzel hybrid... NOS recommend 6psi FLOWING fuel pressure... I used a Holley Black Pump and a Aeromotive Regulator.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

I am also using the Pro Race Fogger. I am trying to find out how much fuel and pressure I will need for a 350 shot. e.g. which fuel pump.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

6psi Flowing... u change the jet size and u will have to adj fuel pressure for the bigger fuel jets... u know how to find out which test jet size u need to get the fuel pressure right?

what is the fuel size for the 350 shot?
Old 01-27-2004, 10:59 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

NOS Uses a 6 PSI tune and NX uses a 9.5 PSI tune for much of their jet maps. With a 6 PSI tune a Holley black will be able to flow enough fuel for 350+. On a 9 to 10 PSI tune the black pump can keep up if the return line restrictor is around .018" or if you run the pump dead headed. Anything above that and it can't flow enough volume to sustain that pressure. At 14 PSI there's no chance in hell that you would be able to flow enough to sustain that pressure. You'd be running on the limit of the pump. You may want to just go with something like a MagnaFlow 300 and get it over with. That should be a ton of pump for whatever you want to do. Unfortunately there isn't many options between the 140 GPH and a 300 GPH pump.

Here's a good explanation on how you would go about picking a pump. Borrowed this from a writeup a friend of mine put together. He's got plenty of years under his belt, so it's decent advice.
You can never have "too much" fuel pump. I can't tell you how many times I see guys spraying 350hp and only using a 140gph pump to supply the fuel to the kit. You're asking for trouble and you're not getting all the power out of your kit! Not only is volume (gph, or gallons per hour) a factor here, but psi is as well. A pump's volume will change with psi changes and vice-versa. When dealing with a drag car and G-force's the rule of thumb is to have 3 times the needed psi coming out of the pump. For example, if you're running your nitrous kit at 5.5psi, you would want to have at least 16.5psi out of the pump. This is a factor when choosing a pump. Make sure that the pump you choose can supply adequate volume (gph) at the psi that you're going to be running it at. The engine pump is very vulnerable to fluctuation if it's not putting out enough psi. On an 8 second car you're pulling about 3g's off the line and it tapers down throughout the run. 3g's means 3 times gravity. So if you placed a scale vertically on your passenger seat and put a 10lb weight against it, at 3g's that 10lb weight would register 30lbs on the scale. So how much fuel do your lines hold? 20 feet of -8 line holds just under half of a gallon of fuel. A gallon of fuel weighs approximately 7lbs. So just sitting there the pump is pushing 3.5lbs of fuel. At 3g's that fuel weighs almost 11lbs. Pick up 11lbs. That's a fair amount of weight for a pump to be pushing to the front of the car. I wouldn't spray over 250hp with a 140gph pump on any application. On anything over 350hp I would recommend at least a 300gph pump and if you're spraying in excess of 450hp you should be running a 500gph unit. But once again, make sure that the pump you choose flows the volume you want at the psi you're going to be running at. Many manufacturers mislead you with their advertised numbers.
Now technically low pressure versus high pressure tunes bring lots of opinions to the table. Butch Schrier is one of the better known nitrous pioneers out there. He consults with large numbers of racers and manufacturers around nitrous technology. Reading up on some of his stuff, the higher pressure tunes theoretically can with stand and recover pressure drops faster over the area of the jets. Now, I can't tell you technically how all that jazz works. But the point is the higher pressure tune should theortically be able to regain adequate flow just after activating the solenoids. What does that mean? Not a whole lot. Basically because there are a ton of racers out there who are just as successful running one tune as there are running others.

Hopefully I didn't just confuse the living crap out of you. Let me know if I can answer anything else.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Derty, great article. I take it you are using the Holley black pump. Your return line is basically just a purge line for the solenoid, correct? Any downfall of just using a dead headed system, but with a 9 or 10 psi setting?
Old 01-27-2004, 11:10 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I run a return line post regulator, it's a small -4 line that runs back to the tank and the -4 AN fitting is cut so I can slip a NOS jet in there. I've run some larger jets, like .031 on a 300 shot and the black pump can't keep up. It just sends too much fuel to the tank and it can't quite keep the pressure at 9.5. I've run the pump dead headed, but air can get trapped in the line and not vent out. I tried that once and had some mixed results. I know that Big Mike purges through his motor to get the air out of the line. It does make it snappier when your pump is dead headed. When you run a return line the system is just as snappy, you just have to make sure you turn the pump on soon enough to purge the line for you. In my case I do it going into the burnout so it gets enough time to purge the fuel line. Keep in mind, the solenoids aren't on during the burnout!
Old 01-28-2004, 12:22 AM
TECH Resident

its ALWAYS a flowing 6psi fuel pressure... holley black pump will so ur 350 shot
Old 01-28-2004, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

TNT is 9.5psi also
Old 01-28-2004, 01:48 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

call the manufacturer of the kit, i did after hurting the motor repeatedly when listening to the builder, i took things into my own hands and have had a bit of success since then. thanks to a bud for the assistance.....romanss! my setup is 5 psi, and that is flowing fuel with an appropriate jet, that is proportionate to the shot you are running.

just my .02

Quick Reply: 9 psi or 14 psi for stand alone fuel system?