Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NXL guys. need install help

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation NXL guys. need install help

there is a bracket on the intake manifold on the drivers side rear that blocks the back of the new fuel rail from going in. it is attatched by manifold bolts and holds nothing more than 1 electrical wire. the problem is, its a thick @ss piece of metal, and i dont want to have to cut it, but the manifold bolts are so long they hit the top of the cowl before i can even see the threads. is there any way to get this bracket off? right now i am trying to think of a way to cut it without destroying anything else nearby. how did you all deal with it? im hoping to get finish the install today so quick responses would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Old 02-15-2004, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've simply given them a tug and bent them slightly out of the way to clear. If you wanted to remove it entirely, you'd end up pulling the intake manifold.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigPlanTransAm
there is a bracket on the intake manifold on the drivers side rear that blocks the back of the new fuel rail from going in. it is attatched by manifold bolts and holds nothing more than 1 electrical wire. the problem is, its a thick @ss piece of metal, and i dont want to have to cut it, but the manifold bolts are so long they hit the top of the cowl before i can even see the threads. is there any way to get this bracket off? right now i am trying to think of a way to cut it without destroying anything else nearby. how did you all deal with it? im hoping to get finish the install today so quick responses would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Ha ha, I knew SOMEONE was going to ask about this. I ran into this problem myself.......... I was suprised nobody said anything previous either.

Well, whether it's smart or not, what I did was cover the entire motor up with towels leaving the bracket exposed with everything else covered up. Then I just got out the ol Dremel with a small cutoff wheel and cut the bracket vertically where it mounts to the manifold. It's real tight in there but it can be done...... go slow and take it real easy cutting just a little at a time and checking it to make sure you don't cut the manifold.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys, i ended up getting a crowbar and pounding the bracket out of the way. new problem though.
you know the little line that goes from the new rail to the thing that old injectors fit in? well, i snapped one of the connectors off . its the long one in the very back, and the one in front of that looks like its about to break too. does anyone know who makes those connectors or do you think i have to order a new line from NX? this kinda sucks. i was hoping to be done today.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let me know how it turns out. I just put my kit on saturday, and did a few dyno runs, etc.

My torque was lower than expected, I think its because the flat spot (lean) caused by the well documented flat spot when you hit it (emptying of fuel rails).

Cant wait til they get this issue addressed with the accumulator.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:29 PM
Restricted User

BigPlan- the connector I got from NX, I talked with Dave and he set me up with NX tech there. They sent me a new line with fitting. Good customer service.
Good luck.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, i called them up today and they are overnightning me a new line.
and about the accumulator, did they say where it goes and/or how much it costs yet?
Old 02-16-2004, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I talked to them today. They said a couple of weeks, and wasn't sure about cost.