Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRY kit users, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRY kit users, please help!

installed the nos 5177 kit this week. Hasn't worked yet. I have the K&N FIPK intake so I installed the two jets to face straight into the maf (about 12 inches upstream) corvette.

Maf now has one bad sensor wire. Did this wire freeze off because I have the nozzles pointed at the maf? Its only a 75 shot, and am still testing to get it working properly. So far, I haven't gotten it to work.... until I get a replacement MAF.

so my question to all you DRY kit users, have you ever had a problem with the MAF wires freezing like this? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Jonny
Old 03-01-2004, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by frc sexi blk
installed the nos 5177 kit this week. Hasn't worked yet. I have the K&N FIPK intake so I installed the two jets to face straight into the maf (about 12 inches upstream) corvette.

Maf now has one bad sensor wire. Did this wire freeze off because I have the nozzles pointed at the maf? Its only a 75 shot, and am still testing to get it working properly. So far, I haven't gotten it to work.... until I get a replacement MAF.

so my question to all you DRY kit users, have you ever had a problem with the MAF wires freezing like this? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Jonny
Wow! This is exactly what I am afraid of when I install my dry kit soon. I was going to plum one nozzle in the top of my Vortex filter much like yours but now I think I may have to come up with something else. What was the net effect of the MAF wire breaking? Did the car throw a code right away or did you not find out until after? No leaning out damage I hope.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
Wow! This is exactly what I am afraid of when I install my dry kit soon. I was going to plum one nozzle in the top of my Vortex filter much like yours but now I think I may have to come up with something else. What was the net effect of the MAF wire breaking? Did the car throw a code right away or did you not find out until after? No leaning out damage I hope.
Bill,

Today I did some more research... I moved the nitrous nozzels 2 inches left from where I had them. So now they are not pointed at the MAF, but pointed at the top of the filter. I hit the nitrous and shot afew times with the maf on the intake to see what the pattern would look like. This time, the spray was not hitting the MAF directly. Great I thought! But after a few mins, two clumps of dry ice where in the air filter box. damm.
Now mind that there is no vacum from the engine pulling the nitrous into the engine. Do you think this will happen when the engine is WOT will all the vacum from the intake?

Where are all the No2 experts????

p.s. seems that when I was spraying, the MAF was damaged so I was basically spraying nos into the engine without the engine adding gas not a good thing, but my ease scanner didn't show any abnormal results. Limp mode kicks right in, so I think that's a good thing to prevent any real damage
Old 03-01-2004, 12:34 PM
11 Second Club

when there is suction from the motor running, little to no ice will form on the filter.
What does form will quickly melt.

You probably did freeze off the wire in the MAF though...
Unfortunately, dry kits aer notorious for doing this when pointed dirrectly into the MAF.
My dry shot reflects off the intake tubing 3 inches before the MAF to avoid just this problem.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Aries
when there is suction from the motor running, little to no ice will form on the filter.
What does form will quickly melt.

You probably did freeze off the wire in the MAF though...
Unfortunately, dry kits aer notorious for doing this when pointed dirrectly into the MAF.
My dry shot reflects off the intake tubing 3 inches before the MAF to avoid just this problem.

sweet, thank you for the explaination. do you have pics of your setup? I am really interested to see how it looks with the nitrous nozzel placement in the filter element.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2004, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

You aren't supposed to spray directly into the MAF.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mw01
You aren't supposed to spray directly into the MAF.
Which way are you supposed to have both sprayer facing??

I have mine facing towards the maf (with a screen) and i get detonation bad? could this be why?
Old 05-07-2004, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I have mine upfront a FIPK also. Multiple passes even with no jets.
No problem with my GMAF. Perhaps the wires were touched by mistake during instal, or were damaged to begin with.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaroguy
Which way are you supposed to have both sprayer facing??

I have mine facing towards the maf (with a screen) and i get detonation bad? could this be why?
You really need to get that screen out, that will help some.

Jeffrey
Old 05-08-2004, 02:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by B18B1LS1
You really need to get that screen out, that will help some.

Jeffrey
Yeap....