Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Refills getting annoying (not convenient). Maybe I should make my own refill station?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Refills getting annoying (not convenient). Maybe I should make my own refill station?

Just ran thru my first bottle and realized how long of a drive it is to the N20 refill station in town.

I would hate to take long drives so im asking for a little help or perhaps some ideas you members would have to make my N20 source more available.

I would want to cut the drives to the refill station to the max. At first I thought about how neat it would be to have your own huge N20 cylinder in your garage (or storage area) and do your own bottle refills. Would that be a smart or dumb idea? What situations would I be facing? How dangerous could it be? How expensive would something like this cost?

Then I thought about maybe buying an extra bottle and cut the refill trips in half?

this is getting annoying. Need to make my refills much more convenient and show those supercharged cars how I could have my source of power available all the time too (but only a switch of a button away) . Help me accomplish this.

Just looking for some feedback on this idea. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:42 PM
11 Second Club

i plan on getting one, it sucks when you need juice and everyone is out!
Old 03-07-2004, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002_TAWS6
Just ran thru my first bottle and realized how long of a drive it is to the N20 refill station in town.

I would hate to take long drives so im asking for a little help or perhaps some ideas you members would have to make my N20 source more available.

I would want to cut the drives to the refill station to the max. At first I thought about how neat it would be to have your own huge N20 cylinder in your garage (or storage area) and do your own bottle refills. Would that be a smart or dumb idea? What situations would I be facing? How dangerous could it be? How expensive would something like this cost?

Then I thought about maybe buying an extra bottle and cut the refill trips in half?

this is getting annoying. Need to make my refills much more convenient and show those supercharged cars how I could have my source of power available all the time too (but only a switch of a button away) . Help me accomplish this.

Just looking for some feedback on this idea. Thanks.
You can always freeze your bottle and buy a line to connect a big tank to your bottle, then just open the two valves. this is the chepo way to get the job done. Freezing your bottle can be kinda a pain in the *** because it takes so long to get the bottle cold enough to transfer, plus it may or may not completely fill the bottle. Then once filled, its still really cold and the presure in way low, so the bottle needs to be heated back up before you can use it.
If you have the $, buy a pump, you can always charge your friends for fills to help pay for the pump. I've been using my NX pump for 3 years now with no problems.
The last issue is getting your hands on a 75lb nitrous tank, call your local gas supply shops. Some will probably hang-up on you, but call them all anyway.
Vinny
Old 03-07-2004, 09:18 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i got my own cylinder. i paid 200deposite on the bottle and from 130-160 per fill, not sure why but they charge me a diferent price every time. that is for 65lb's of nitrous.

i got a -4 adapter nut for the big bottle and a 4' -4 line form nitrous warehouse. i put a 50watt heating pad heater on the bottle and then wraped it up with one wrap of insulation, i just leave the heater on all the time. then i put the small bottle in the freezer, the first few fill up's are real easy but once the bottle gets down to about 1/2 full it might take more than one freeze cycle if the small bottle is really empty. most of the time i am refilling them when they are still 1/2 full and have no problems till i get down to the last 10lb's or so in the big bottle. even then i can get that last few lb's, it just comes out a couple of lb's at a time.

i use a bath scale and fill the small bottle up to 25lb's(total weight), i hook the lines up and check the presure of the big bottle bottle just to see where it is at and even leaving the heater on all the time in only gets to about 1000psi, it does feel warm but not hot. i have picked up a couple of extra bottles and that makes it even nicer, if you watch out for them you can get them for under $100. i never leave the house without a full bottle and sometimes swing by the house 1/2 way thru the night to swap bottles just to be sure i dont run out. you just never know when you might need to make a few all out runs.

i will post up a pic of my set up in a few minutes.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:27 PM
single digit dreamer

it's not prety but it works great.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by parish8
it's not prety but it works great.

you should just load the big one in the back of the truck!
Old 03-07-2004, 09:55 PM
single digit dreamer

it is kind of heavy for that.

one other thing, the first couple of refills you can put more in there than 10lb's, i filled one up to 27lb's(12.5lb's of nitrous). a couple of days later i went to put it in my truck and before i even turned the heater on it was at 1200psi. trying to say dont over fill, be ready to turn off the valve when it gets to 25lb's.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:06 PM
TECH Veteran

I do just what Parish is doing. It takes about an hour to freeze the bottle. If the big nitrous tank is getting low...ill heat that one slightly. I have a digital scale that I zero out with the empty bottle on it. The connect the short -4 line and crack open both valves. I have been doing it this way for a while...and I have yet to get a partial fill. Works great and easy and cheap.

I pay $70 for a 65 lb bottle. Thats a little over $1.00 a lb
Old 03-07-2004, 10:18 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
I do just what Parish is doing. It takes about an hour to freeze the bottle. If the big nitrous tank is getting low...ill heat that one slightly. I have a digital scale that I zero out with the empty bottle on it. The connect the short -4 line and crack open both valves. I have been doing it this way for a while...and I have yet to get a partial fill. Works great and easy and cheap.

I pay $70 for a 65 lb bottle. Thats a little over $1.00 a lb
huh? $70? what is the going rate for this stuff in cylinder form? am i geting riped or do you have some kind of special hook up?
Old 03-07-2004, 11:25 PM
TECH Veteran

I have a hookup sort of. Check with your gas supplier and see if you open a business acct with them...even if its a cod acct, if they will lower the price. Thats what we did....and there was a price drop for doing so. That may just be out supplier.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:34 PM
single digit dreamer

i did just what you said, they tried to hit me for $220 , after the acount it is $160.

what is everyone else paying? i am sure i can get them to drop that price if i have some real info to back me up.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*** me, I'ma have to get one of those big bottles and refill myself, I HATE spending the $85 just to fill up my 15lb bottle
Old 03-08-2004, 12:07 AM
NKAWTG...N

dont let any of the f/i guys see this thread...they will have a field day with it...
Old 03-08-2004, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stoleit
dont let any of the f/i guys see this thread...they will have a field day with it...
EXACTLY! i planned on going to supercharged before the nx kit myself!
Old 03-08-2004, 12:23 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Parish8 I thought the big bottle had to be upside down? I notice in the pictures you posted its right side up?
Old 03-08-2004, 04:36 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by koolrayz
Parish8 I thought the big bottle had to be upside down? I notice in the pictures you posted its right side up?
you can get the big bottle with or without a siphon tube, if it has a tube you leave it upright.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Geez...some of those prices are just a rip off. Even over the counter at a speed shop here in Tampa the most you will pay is $3 a lb. But most shops...and there are several...are $2-$2.50 a lb. That sucks.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

not too shabby Al, man, i just realized how spoiled i am down here, it's a dollar per pound and i've got a shop that fills it for me
Old 03-08-2004, 06:26 PM
single digit dreamer

wow, it is $4.50/lb here, what a huge swing in prices.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:30 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Originally Posted by Vents
not too shabby Al, man, i just realized how spoiled i am down here, it's a dollar per pound and i've got a shop that fills it for me
That's because they just siphon it outta the air down there in TX.