Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing controller

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Timing controller

Guys i'm looking for a good timing controller to piggyback on the stock pcm. Is there any good ones?

I want to pull a bunch of timing to soften the hit, then ramp it in after i'm rolling good. right now my car hits the tires so hard I have to leave, then bring in the nitrous after the car is moving, about 10-15ft out I guess. We all know how much of a pig a car can be on nitrous timing, na..leaving like that is worthless. I hate timers and refuse to use one.

I want to leave on the jug with less timing, then ramp it in.That way it leaves hard but not hard enough to shock the tires.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you currently tuning the car yourself? All of the timing controllers I know of that piggyback to the ecu just pull a global amount of timing and don't progressively pull it let alone allow it to be ramped back in. Reason I ask about how you are tuning it now, is that you could pull timing and add it back in yourself if you were already tuning it with tuning software. I'm aware of several members on this site that use HPtuners or EFILive to pull timing from the stock pcm and then add it back down track as it can be used. Carter01 is the first name that comes to mind.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:35 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X2 - HP Tuners to the front!

The best and the one you can trust is HP Tuners! Modify your tune and load it in when you want to make that non wheel stand launch. Change back to a NA tune when you have the bottle out of the car and you only want the tires 4 feet off the ground .

Next question is what are you two doing up at 3:00 AM in the morning? I have to wait until daylight to post, us old folks need our sleep!!

N2
Old 12-18-2011, 07:22 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ZTwentyAteU
Guys i'm looking for a good timing controller to piggyback on the stock pcm. Is there any good ones?

I want to pull a bunch of timing to soften the hit, then ramp it in after i'm rolling good. right now my car hits the tires so hard I have to leave, then bring in the nitrous after the car is moving, about 10-15ft out I guess. We all know how much of a pig a car can be on nitrous timing, na..leaving like that is worthless. I hate timers and refuse to use one.

I want to leave on the jug with less timing, then ramp it in.That way it leaves hard but not hard enough to shock the tires.

James...
Call me, Txt, Me, or PM me...

I can show you how to set it up using the stock pcm... I've done it a bunch.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:26 PM
8 Second Club

the basics...
set up a Relay to use a resistor as IAT,
when it switches to the Resistor you will have a base amount of timing pulled out using the spark IAT table
and you use the RPM Multiplier table to ramp it in or out..

in HP Tuners...its
Engine->Spark->Advance-> IAT Spark Base
and the the IAT Spark Base Multiplier

Wiring of a 5 pole relay is

30 = IAT High to pcm
85 = +12v switched
86 = Ground
87 = IAT High side
87a = Resistor High Side
IAT Ground side goes to pcm as normal
Resistor Ground side goes to Ground on Chassis
Old 12-18-2011, 11:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by N2RACINGLS1's
X2 - HP Tuners to the front!

The best and the one you can trust is HP Tuners! Modify your tune and load it in when you want to make that non wheel stand launch. Change back to a NA tune when you have the bottle out of the car and you only want the tires 4 feet off the ground .

Next question is what are you two doing up at 3:00 AM in the morning? I have to wait until daylight to post, us old folks need our sleep!!

N2
Doing the saturday night boogie of course!
Old 12-19-2011, 03:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea i've always tuned it myself w/ HP tuners, I did get Ed to help me at indy in a pinch though.

the setup Scott is talking about seems like a good idea.

I'm thinking of just blanketing like 10 degrees (just a number) from 2400 to 4800 cells and trying that. My car never sees below 4800 after I take off anyways.

If I can get the car to leave hard its gonna rip. I cant wait to get it back out of winter slumber with more nitrous and almost 300lbs less weight.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

Get your suspension right, And leave on a 200 shot with 20* .... What trans do you have?
Old 12-20-2011, 10:31 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1excitement
Get your suspension right, And leave on a 200 shot with 20* .... What trans do you have?
Most Class Rules limit him to a .82 jet(300 shot)
he's not leaving on 20* of timing with a 300 shot
and he's leaving off of a trans brake...so its gonna hit hard unless he can soften up the beginning...
Old 12-21-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

actually I am leaving on 19 degrees, was. .82 jet is 200 shot. Paul knows what hes doin..he runs real street. paul, cant give away your speed secrets even though we are friends haha!

my 4.29 gear and th350 hit the tire too hard for 19-20 off the line. Still need suspension fine tune but its never going to hook if its full boogie off the line. Before it was needed to hit harder, with new motor it needs less
Old 12-21-2011, 10:40 PM
8 Second Club

actually I am leaving on 19 degrees, was. .82 jet is 200 shot. Paul knows what hes doin..he runs real street. paul, cant give away your speed secrets even though we are friends haha!

according to this, and every calculator I have ever found online....
http://www.robietherobot.com/NitrousJetCalculator.htm

300 shot

A Nitrous jet size of .082" or 2.0828mm should produce:
303.66 HP with 1 port(s)

to the wheels will obviously be less...probably closer to a 225 shot? to the wheels

and even less if you have a bunch of bends and turns..LOL

my 4.29 gear and th350 hit the tire too hard for 19-20 off the line. Still need suspension fine tune but its never going to hook if its full boogie off the line. Before it was needed to hit harder, with new motor it needs less
and dam... 4.29.. and a T350 first gear is like 2.52?... so total gear = 10.81
no wonder it wont hook on your nitrous setup...LOL
Old 12-21-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea a .82 jet is more along the lines of 200-225 real hp depending on tuneup, how your kits setup.

Oh, its gona work eventually. Thats why I can get away with pulling power down low when I get that worked out.

I only have to weigh 2925 to pass tech, but i'm thinking around 3000 raceweight is where i'll end up. Should be fun
Old 12-21-2011, 11:16 PM
8 Second Club

Yea a .82 jet is more along the lines of 200-225 real hp depending on tuneup, how your kits setup.

Oh, its gona work eventually. Thats why I can get away with pulling power down low when I get that worked out.

I only have to weigh 2925 to pass tech, but i'm thinking around 3000 raceweight is where i'll end up. Should be fun

My kit is off getting plumbing done...
2 stages of Direct port fury...
Nitrous Rails, hard lines, custom Solenoid Bracket...

I'm just ready for it to show up...hope its done soon.