Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So explain this tuning on N2O thing...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question So explain this tuning on N2O thing...

I'm in the process of installing my TNT F1 wet kit on the car and was curious about tuning. I know the jetting is set fairly rich with this kit so its probably pretty safe, but what advantages are there to getting it dyno tuned on the spray? And here's what I don't get... If you're tuning while spraying, how does that affect N/A driving? I assume it would be some fairly mild tuning, possibly timing related? Any info would be good. I plan on dynoing the end of this month. Thanks.

Tim
Old 03-15-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tim, i too would like to know this info, i am in your EXACT position,getting ready to install f1 kit,just got done with fuel pump. Hopefully someone will help you/us out.
Hijacking's r us
Matt
Old 03-15-2004, 11:03 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Depending on how much you are going to spray may make some tuning issues. Lets start with the basics, Nitrous motors do need to run a little richer then normal. I run my car between 10.5 and 11.0 to 1. You don't want to go any richer as you can be too fat and damage the ringlands. If you go leaner the car will be faster, but will also get closer to the edge of it's capabilities.

With a wet kit most, if not all of your tuning is really limited to getting the wet kit running well on top of you NA tune. The only adjustment to your NA tune may be to take some timing out. Depending on the nitrous kit recommendations, you may find that you need to remove one to two degrees per 50 HP of nitrous. This number is just an estimate, so use the dyno to confirm where you need to be.

If you work with a good tuning shop they can get you set up right. How much are both of you looking to spray?
Old 03-16-2004, 03:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im going 100,the old mill has 70000 on her.. i only live about 1.5 hours away from ed wright's auto in tulsa...only problem is what they charge is OUTRAGEOUS or at least what they quoted me for a dynotune anyway. i wont post it out of respect for the shop but can pm it to see if its just me who thinks its high. My biggest thing is i dont want to spend all this money when i really dont have anything as far as mods that actually 'Needs" a custom tune. i could see if i had a hc pkg or lt's but **** just a few bolt ons and a little of the tickel juice..if it needs to be tuned i will though better safe than sorry..that new longblock aint cheap. obtw we just got a dyno in town with a wideband so i plan on going there my FIRST trip after pulling it out of my garage.
Thanks
Matt
Old 03-16-2004, 07:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DERTY
Depending on how much you are going to spray may make some tuning issues. Lets start with the basics, Nitrous motors do need to run a little richer then normal. I run my car between 10.5 and 11.0 to 1. You don't want to go any richer as you can be too fat and damage the ringlands. If you go leaner the car will be faster, but will also get closer to the edge of it's capabilities.

With a wet kit most, if not all of your tuning is really limited to getting the wet kit running well on top of you NA tune. The only adjustment to your NA tune may be to take some timing out. Depending on the nitrous kit recommendations, you may find that you need to remove one to two degrees per 50 HP of nitrous. This number is just an estimate, so use the dyno to confirm where you need to be.

If you work with a good tuning shop they can get you set up right. How much are both of you looking to spray?
I'm starting with a 75 shot and then moving to a 100 shortly after I get used to it (or at least thats the plan). I am signed up for a dyno day at East Side Performance in CT on the 27th, so we'll see how my dyno looks and if I might want some tuning.

Tim