Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to nitrous or not to nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to nitrous or not to nitrous?

2002 Camaro z28 A4, SLP CAI, SLP LM, Diablo Sport Predator Tuner, Hypertech 160* thermostat, Dyno Tuned. 28500 miles.

Everything else is stock. I was considering just getting a little more power out on the to end. any kits that are mild, worth the money and wont do to much damage to a stock auto trans? I know there **** on these, or more like hit or miss for one to hold a lot of power.

Is it better to run wet or dry for my interest, and for vehicle health? Any kits that can be engaged upon command while driving/stopped, or is easily turn on or off, it is my DD.

Also, could i still use the dyno tune while spraying? or is a retune necassary with spray?

thanks
Old 01-31-2012, 07:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by philaeagle51
2002 Camaro z28 A4, SLP CAI, SLP LM, Diablo Sport Predator Tuner, Hypertech 160* thermostat, Dyno Tuned. 28500 miles.

Everything else is stock. I was considering just getting a little more power out on the to end. any kits that are mild, worth the money and wont do to much damage to a stock auto trans? I know there **** on these, or more like hit or miss for one to hold a lot of power.

Is it better to run wet or dry for my interest, and for vehicle health? Any kits that can be engaged upon command while driving/stopped, or is easily turn on or off, it is my DD.

Also, could i still use the dyno tune while spraying? or is a retune necassary with spray?

thanks
Not to be a butt, just search and look through the stickies. There is TONS of information on this forum. Here is a short list of all the things you need to consider or utilize when spraying. And if your auto trans is stock your just asking to turn it into a slushy with the torque that nitrous adds.

1. Fuel pressure safety switch. (FPSS)
2. Some way to pull timing.
3. NGK BR7EF spark plugs or equivalent.
4. Wide Open Throttle Switch
5. Window Switch.
6. Bottle Pressure
7. Plate or Nozzle?
8. Progressive Controller?

As you can see there is a lot to it, too much to tell in one post. As I reccomended you should look through the stickies and do a search. There is a lot to doing nitrous the RIGHT way.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

thanks a lot man, for pointing me in the right direction
Old 02-01-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

First things first. What tune do you have in the car? You have in your post Diablosport and dyno tuned, which is it?

Get a timing tuner to pull timing for when you spray the car. Most of them have a trigger built into them that will let you run around on the N/A tune and then only pull timing when you activate the nitrous.

As long as you stay on a small hit your stock trans will be fine.

Get a wet kit they are easier as far as plug and play, but if you don't have a fuel pump with a hotwire kit yet, you might want to get that on there. You might be fine on a stock pump with a 75-100 shot since you have minimal mods.

As far as being able to spray when you want. I have found it the best to have a main arming switch to arm the system and then have the nitrous on a button to spray when you want like from a roll or out of the hole. Both switches have to be on for the nitrous to work so its kinda a safety measure.

Get your car dyno tuned to maximize the N/A tune and like I said before just get a timing tuner to pull timing for when you spray. Lingenfelter makes a nice one that usually takes about 30 minutes to install.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

sorry i meant i have the diablo sport tuner, with the dyno tune on it so i can switch back and forth if necassary. when you say: "Get your car dyno tuned to maximize the N/A tune", u mean tune my car again? i got amazing results before, clearly on the level of a factory freak engine with a solid rear.

do u happen to know if there are any stickys on timing tuners? or would u mind sharing some more information on how the system works from a-z (generally), and how a timing tuner, and a hot wire kit come into play?

i was thinking a 50-75 shot
Old 02-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

also i looked on lingenfelters website and i coldnt find the timing tuner for a 02 z28, only th 10'11' camaros
Old 02-03-2012, 07:45 AM
FormerVendor

also i looked on lingenfelters website and i coldnt find the timing tuner for a 02 z28, only th 10'11' camaros
The launch controller with timing retard that we sell will work on most LS series engines. It will work on your 02 Z28. Click here for the link:

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,
Ryan
Old 02-03-2012, 01:27 PM
TECH Veteran

sorry i meant i have the diablo sport tuner, with the dyno tune on it so i can switch back and forth if necassary. when you say: "Get your car dyno tuned to maximize the N/A tune", u mean tune my car again? i got amazing results before, clearly on the level of a factory freak engine with a solid rear.

do u happen to know if there are any stickys on timing tuners? or would u mind sharing some more information on how the system works from a-z (generally), and how a timing tuner, and a hot wire kit come into play?

i was thinking a 50-75 shot
If you already had it dyno tuned then you are ok to go. Just get the timing tuner Ryan@Lingenfelter just linked to you and some colder non projected plugs (ngk br6ef). The timing tuner from lingenfelter just plugs into you coil pack's main harness and then there is a trigger wire to connect to your nitrous button to activate the timing tuner. It comes with a set of instructions.

The hotwire kit is for your fuel pump. It gets better voltage to the pump so it can pump like needed to fuel the engine and your nitrous kit. The stock pump will work for a 50-75 shot and even a 100 shot. Any more than that you are going to want to put an aftermarket pump in the tank.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:41 AM
Staging Lane

awesome, thanks ryan.

and 87silverbullet:: question, when you say to get "some colder non projected plugs (ngk br6ef)." by ngk br6ef, do u mean thats a person on here or

for all viewers:
i will be buying:
1) launch controller with timing retard from lingenfelter
2) a hot wire kit for my fuel pump (site tbd)
3) a wet nitrous kit. running a 5-75 shot, any suggestions on which kit? ****i will not be running more than a 75-100 shot AT ANY POINT. this is a temporary modification. so id like to buy a kit thats legit, but convenient for a lower shot of nitrous

thanks fellas
Old 02-05-2012, 09:32 AM
TECH Veteran

br6ef is the ngk plug part number. The stock number to that plug is 3177. Most local part stores will carry them.

Talk with Nitrous outlet on here. They can get you setup with all you need from the hotwire kit to the nitrous system itself. Just tell them what you want to do and they will sell you only what you need. You don't have to worry about them selling you something you don't need or something that won't work, they don't operate like that. Great bunch of guys just give them a call. They are one of our sponsors to the right------>>>>