Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to nitrous. quick question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to nitrous. quick question?

hey guys wus up. im new to nitrous. i hava a 99 ta with all the mods on sig my. first time praying and noticed that my car seems to be choking at 5000. its like the car stops making power passed 5k. bottle presure was any were from 900 1200 psi in all passes and it seemed to do the same every time. could it bee the choker ls1 intake? plugs all look good it was 100 shot wet. best time was a 7.7 shifting at 5k. not very good grip any help would be grate.

thanks in advance
Old 03-13-2012, 12:55 AM
Teching In

I would check to see if your car has knock retard and what your air to fuel ratio was at that rpm. If it is detecting knock(whether its false or not) the computer will pull timing and it will feel like your car hits a wall.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks. i thought it was the ls1 intake choking the car. ill be tuning it soon just wanted some input, cuz i didn't want to tune the car an then the tuner tell me that its the intake and spend the cash twice on tuning.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lsxTAlemy
thanks. i thought it was the ls1 intake choking the car. ill be tuning it soon just wanted some input, cuz i didn't want to tune the car an then the tuner tell me that its the intake and spend the cash twice on tuning.
Odds are your issue is in your tune. You should be tuning it before hitting it like you are. There is an issue somewhere. Its either in the tune or fuel pressure.

Dave
Old 03-14-2012, 06:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for that replies, but my tuner told me should be good with a 100 hit without problems. i will be tuning for a 150 soon but had to get a couple passes at 100 this weekend. im having traction issues so there would be not point to go 150 175 if i cant get 100 to stick lol
Old 03-14-2012, 06:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i also used 50/50 race gas for a lil safety
Old 03-14-2012, 12:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I cant afford the "Should be goods" lol. 50 shot up, if the tune is off the tune is off.

Dave
Old 03-14-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

he knows his way around the ls motors. i seen people hitting there nitrous stock and then start pulling timing and then blow if its gonna blow it gonna blow. nitrous is dangerous even with safety. things go wrong.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:37 AM
Teching In

Couple things: 1st - ALL nitrous manufactuers say that you should pull 2 degrees of timing for every 50 shot, so you gotta do it. Then if the motor likes more timing you add more while monitoring knock and AFR. 2nd - if you have one of the most, if not the most, respected 'nitrous gurus' on the forums is telling you to slap the bottle three times before you shoot the spray you frickin do it. Point is he is tellin you that the issue is in your tune. If you have done your research you will find out what happens if you prolong your situation. Just tune before you spray because a tune is SOOO much cheaper then a broken car.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would never use nitrous without a tune, wet or dry. Not worth the risk in my opinion. Yes if the motor blows it blows but atleast you gave an effort to making sure its as safe as it can be. Agree with the comments above just trying to help you out. I would for sure make sure you get a nitrous tune check your A/F without a doubt. I was pulling a 75 shot and i was running super lean and i was told by many that its a really safe shot and my motor will be fine and that was a tune as well so even a tune will not be the best the first time around you just have to check plugs and a/f to be safe.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i apologize if i sounded like an ***. im just saying what i was told. to see what u guys have to say i am here to learn and get as much info as i can not be arguing. i really don't know who is who or what not.

about researcher. iv done some looking around and seen a quite a couple guys running the 100 without tunning. iv been pondering on this for a couple months and i didn't have the cash for tunning. iv had the car with the bottle on the tunnel for couple moths and had to try it. im a lil hard headed. lol besides my uncle is a big nitrous freak and he told me if i blew the motor he would get me a 6.0

i found that my wires are burnt up

plugs look fine they were a lil white from the race gas other than that look good

im trying to sell my converter to get some money for the tunning and have get my trans brake valve body

reason for being broke I'v rebuilt my tanny 3 times last one was just a sensor that im passing to my brother fully built 4l60e now with th350
Old 03-15-2012, 07:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

175 should be good with some good tuning right? that's my final goal for the nitrous on this motor I'm really leaning to get a 6.0, but I'm stuck between nitrous or boost so hard to decide. love the torque on the juice but boost is so much more street able...
Old 03-16-2012, 06:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

any more info id apreciate it
Old 03-16-2012, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have the NOS big shot kit. how much should these be good for on a single fogger ?
Old 03-17-2012, 01:37 AM
Teching In

Yeah if you look around there are guys doin 200 shots and up even on these motors stock. The exception is that these guys have done extensive tuning and are very picky about the plugs and how they read after a nitrous run. It would be wise to start with a smaller shot and tune, and then start bumping up.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mmicheletty
Yeah if you look around there are guys doin 200 shots and up even on these motors stock. The exception is that these guys have done extensive tuning and are very picky about the plugs and how they read after a nitrous run. It would be wise to start with a smaller shot and tune, and then start bumping up.
ok yes. i was thinking bout starting the the 100 shot i got now, and go working my self up or the 175. or just retard the the crap out of it and work my way with the tuning. will it be safe, i mean i don't want to be driving a ticking time bomb...
Old 03-20-2012, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

?? any one
Old 03-20-2012, 12:45 PM

Just make sure you pull some timing if you go over 100. I've seen people spray untuned 100 shot a bunch of times and be fine. As far as your original post and concern you really need to get your car on a scan tool that you can read data on and see how much knock your computer is seeing im sure you will see your problem at 5000. Hows the motor mounts on your car?
Old 03-20-2012, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mounts look solid. ill be going polyurethane or solid when i swap motors. it has ticking sound but iv gone every where and they tell me they sound like that, that its normal. my brothers sound the same. i know for sure the car has knock retard cus the car used to do it before and it was the headers touching the x mem but it don't look like its touching any more
Old 05-12-2012, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ol/sd street tune got her running pretty decent car is pulling all the way to 6500 with out issues. still on a 100 shot we went to tune for the 150 but the trans didn't hold up. also changed my ls1 intake and went with victor jr efi with low pro elbow...