Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full nitrous build questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Full nitrous build questions

What all do you reccomend for a 250+ shot nitrous build? My goal being a 300 shot. I'm getting my friend RUSS at Volatile cams to custom spec me a cam specifically for daily driving and monster nitrous applications.. so this will also be a cam swap build aswell. I'm buying a friends 4l60e tranny to get built to handle a huge shot of nitrous w/ a custom spec circle D stall

I'm trying to build a check list so I can go searching ASAP

I already got:
A nitro dave plate & hardline kit
spare tire bottle bracket
window switch @ 3000
patriot gold springs (650 lift) w/ titanium retainers
on off switch w/ seperate tuning
bolt ons listed in my signature
42lb ls3 injectors and adapters
asp 25% underdrive pulley and gates belts and crank belt
safety loop

What I know I need:
Upgraded fuel pump, not sure which to consider or buy
colder plugs, dont know what plugs to buy
stand alone fuel system, nitrous outlet is what i want
rotating assembly.. again I have no idea which rods or pistons to buy
wide band and guage
fuel pressure gauge
torque arm and subframes
progressive controller maybe?
push rods
custom nitrous cam
push rods, dunno what length i need
upgraded timing chain, should i buy the ls2 chain or something stronger?
drive shft? I was considering a carbon fiber one

ofcourse if im missing anything, let me know
Old 03-21-2012, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

any ideas on what I should consider?
Old 03-21-2012, 02:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

need more info on your setup (motor)
Ditch the 4l60 while you can if it's in the budget
Old 03-21-2012, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 10secZ28
so far its a 'stock' ls1, aside from whats listed in my signature. Not sure what a good rotating assembly combo would fit me just right.

a better tranny is not in my budget right now, but will be on my list when its done.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:13 AM
Launching!

I would not be scared to throw 300 worth at a stock bottom end however at that point the tune really needs to be on point......if your going to build the motor, just about anything will work if you just plan on staying around the 250 mark, but i have used eagle stuff with good luck, callies, lunatti, and just about every companys stuff with good luck lol you really dont need a crank as the stock one is good for just about anything your motor is going to see, get a good set of rods, pistons and studs in the motor and you should be fine, and ditch the tr6s if you put the gas to it, run an ngk 8.

as far as a fuel pum is concerned i have always run twin 255 pumps, for 42 lb inj will be fine if your using a wet kit
pushrods you will need to consult someone else as I really don't know
Old 03-22-2012, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would not be scared to throw 300 worth at a stock bottom end however at that point the tune really needs to be on point......if your going to build the motor, just about anything will work if you just plan on staying around the 250 mark, but i have used eagle stuff with good luck, callies, lunatti, and just about every companys stuff with good luck lol you really dont need a crank as the stock one is good for just about anything your motor is going to see, get a good set of rods, pistons and studs in the motor and you should be fine, and ditch the tr6s if you put the gas to it, run an ngk 8.

as far as a fuel pum is concerned i have always run twin 255 pumps, for 42 lb inj will be fine if your using a wet kit
pushrods you will need to consult someone else as I really don't know
I have heard that it can be done to throw a 300 shot on a stock bottom end, but I want to do it right for the peace of mind.

rods/pistons/studs/ngk8's
Old 03-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Launching!

i think your on the right track, just remember everything needs to work together, cam, heads, intake, stall, gears to really get the most out of what your doing. let me know if there is anything else I can help with (i help as much as I can with what i know)
Old 03-22-2012, 08:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like you have a lot of decisions to make.

Are you drag racing the car or just playing around on the street?

I see you are concentrating on the bottom end build at the moment. There are so many options out there. What I would suggest doing is figuring out your budget and then start putting together a total engine combination that fits in the budget.

The questions to what fuel pump, spark plugs etc really can not be answered with out knowing the combination you will have.
For example a higher compression motor build will use a colder spark plug than a lower compression motor. A more serious engine combination will need more fuel than an average street built motor.

Dave
Old 03-23-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet

I see you are concentrating on the bottom end build at the moment. There are so many options out there. What I would suggest doing is figuring out your budget and then start putting together a total engine combination that fits in the budget.

The questions to what fuel pump, spark plugs etc really can not be answered with out knowing the combination you will have.
For example a higher compression motor build will use a colder spark plug than a lower compression motor. A more serious engine combination will need more fuel than an average street built motor.

Dave
thx nitro dave,
I'm trying to be forthcoming, but i dont know where to begin if that makes any sense. Its not going to be used in the street thats for sure, and im wanting to keep it DD'able. Right know I'm worried what my proper setup bottom end wise should be, and then save up or buy them.

I decided not to do a stroker build, the heads are going to be ported 799's.. I'm not sure what the compression ratio's will be at that point.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Launching!

Dave is very knowledgeable in this field, I should have asked you more questions as well before shooting info off to you, with that being said in todays world of aftermarket parts it's not a stretch to build a 9 sec drivable car on the street and be pretty reliable, hell if i put some quieter exhaust on mine i would not hessite to drive it more (mines an 8 sec capable car). But i do agree with what Dave said above.
I would venture to say you are going to want to keep the overdrive in the car for that kind of use, but also what dave mentioned above about different combos needing different things, what are your goals for the car as far as ET at the track is concerned? Power? That might help determine what parts you should need to be looking into.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

I would recommend an upgraded single pump for ur motor, maybe an aeromotive stealth 340. Dedicated fuel cell, as mentioned above, head studs, good rods, pistons, double roller timing set, fjo controller. Look into a NANO kit. I think you'll be happy with a 250 shot on Nano. Rick can take care of the nitrous tune.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:50 PM
9 Second Club

Get with Dave he has helped me numerous times and will point you in the right direction
Old 03-31-2012, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

300 isn't really a "monster" nitrous application. You don't really need a custom nitrous cam at that level.

I would find a good Nitrous piston with a thick crown and thick top ring land. A lot of pistons are very thin at the valve relief area.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

It will be a built 4l60 for now, and a nitrous circle d stall.. a built 4l80 will be my end goal down the road.

i think your on the right track, just remember everything needs to work together, cam, heads, intake, stall, gears to really get the most out of what your doing. let me know if there is anything else I can help with (i help as much as I can with what i know)
Thanks, I just need the heads, and im almost done buying the cam. My cam is tailormade for my mods, with specs suitable for nitrous application.
799 Heads, with nitrous porting (bowl blended intake, and full exhaust porting)

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet

Dave
Thanks dave, aside from what I listed, I'm not to sure what my compression will be at this point. I've been recomended some colder ngk plugs, I when the build is done I'll check the compression and I can go from there? I'm leanign towards a racetronix kit, but a certain person insists I go aeromotive. The goal n/a hp is 420+ .. so if I am spraying 250 on a nano, i'd be close to 700.

Dave is very knowledgeable in this field, I should have asked you more questions as well before shooting info off to you, with that being said in todays world of aftermarket parts it's not a stretch to build a 9 sec drivable car on the street and be pretty reliable, hell if i put some quieter exhaust on mine i would not hessite to drive it more (mines an 8 sec capable car). But i do agree with what Dave said above.
I would venture to say you are going to want to keep the overdrive in the car for that kind of use, but also what dave mentioned above about different combos needing different things, what are your goals for the car as far as ET at the track is concerned? Power? That might help determine what parts you should need to be looking into.
I plan on keepign my OD on my 4l60, and 4l80 eventually. I'm not concerned about HP because my stall is going to throw off my hp numbers anyways. MY goal is carter01 numbers, 9's-low 10's with a nice trap. DD is key tho, full interior, ac, ect.

Originally Posted by carreras
I would recommend an upgraded single pump for ur motor, maybe an aeromotive stealth 340. Dedicated fuel cell, as mentioned above, head studs, good rods, pistons, double roller timing set, fjo controller. Look into a NANO kit. I think you'll be happy with a 250 shot on Nano. Rick can take care of the nitrous tune.
Thansk guy, I forgot i need headstuds.. thanks for mentioning it. Any brand for rods/pistons you prefer? I will get a nano afterall. Hey, let me tell you what

Originally Posted by gregrob
300 isn't really a "monster" nitrous application. You don't really need a custom nitrous cam at that level.

I would find a good Nitrous piston with a thick crown and thick top ring land. A lot of pistons are very thin at the valve relief area.
Well for a DD a 300 is plenty monstrous.. people go WTF everytime i mention my intentions. It's going to stay a stock stroke, my stroker plans will be based off a ls2 or a ls3 block if i can find a good deal, and go from there. I'm sure I'll be fine with a torquer 2, but since i'm swapping a cam.. might aswell be tailor made and squeeze every little bit out of her.

One thing im looking into is the cooling aspect.. like a better waterpump.. coolant.. thermostat?

as far as pistons, which one are worth considering base off my goals? Thx
Old 05-11-2012, 07:16 PM

Gota subscribe to this, I'm planing the same thing but eventually wana hit abit higher on nitrous. Keep the updates coming.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LeanPocket

What I know I need:
Upgraded fuel pump, not sure which to consider or buy
colder plugs, dont know what plugs to buy
stand alone fuel system, nitrous outlet is what i want
rotating assembly.. again I have no idea which rods or pistons to buy
push rods
push rods, dunno what length i need
upgraded timing chain, should i buy the ls2 chain or something stronger?
Plugs: NGK, many many members use them.
Rotating Assembly? What's wrong with the one you got?
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
7.400 Push Rods
http://www.speedinc.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0001168
SLP Timing Chain/Oil Pump
http://texas-speed.com/p-1942-slp-oi...eavy-duty.aspx

Quick Reply: Full nitrous build questions