Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie / advice needed please !

Old 04-13-2012, 07:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie / advice needed please !

Since I only see the track a few times a year I feel that nitrous would be a cheap / inexpensive way to go alittle faster. Yes I know it can get expensive but I found a kit for a decent price. This is from the ad.

The bottle is a 10 lbs and would come with a mostly full bottle.

Bottle heater comes complete with auto off pressure switch.

LS1 Throttle body plate with multi-injection nozzles

Parts total well more than $900
-Basic wet kit 400-450
-Purge valve- 100-150
-Bottle heater 100-150
-gauge 30-50
-msd window switch 100
-ls1 throttle plate 100
- add. accy 100

Now my car that this will be going into.

1998 Trans am, vert with 70k miles on it.

Last year I had :

My rear end rebuilt 3.73 gears
4000k yank converter (tran cooler)
BBK Long tubes , into Y , then Borla Catback. Also have cut out
BBK Manifold with slight porting.
80mm throttle body.
UDP
Tourqer V3 cam, upgraded valvetrain, ported oil pump, double timing chain.....

Car ran 12.2 with a crappy 1.83 60ft on nittos radials.

Im loooking for advice one spraying and your opinions on other things I should do / think about. Like I said earlier this will be used only a few times a year and I drive the car only about 3k a year since its my weekend car.

I may also get this professionally installed so I dont mess up timing/anything. I would really like to spray a 100shot.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:16 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some things that i would add to your to get list from what is listed in that ad is some non projected NGK spark plugs. BR7EF should be good for you.

If you are going to be going to the race track track you are going to be required to have a NHRA Valve with pressure relief and a blow down tube.

Now something that you might want to look at is if you don't have a fuel pump in the car you might be getting close to the max duty cycle for your stock fuel pump. If you still have a stock fuel pump.

As an added precaution you might want to get a fuel pressure safety switch.

You might want to look at making sure with buying a used kits to make sure the solenoids are in good shape and functioning properly. With some older solenoids the material inside does not lend well to the new fuels with ethanol blended gas. That is something we could help you identify if your needed our help on that aspect.

Those would be my additions to things you would want to buy.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:40 AM
FormerVendor

Oh yeah slipped my mind and a way to pull some timing out of you car.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you very much the helpful info. I read up on the plugs and where to have them gap. The timing I'm hoping to have my speed shop take care of.

Yes I do have the stock pump, I will keep that in mind. Should I also upgrade injectors or will I be ok.

Also I know this is not the dyno/guessing but what would you think I would make power wise?

Last edited by hfthe3rd; 04-13-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:52 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by hfthe3rd
Thank you very much the helpful info. I read up on the plugs and where to have them gap. The timing I'm hoping to have my speed shop take care of.

Yes I do have the stock pump, I will keep that in mind. Should I also upgrade injectors or will I be ok.

Also I know this is not the dyno/guessing but what would you think I would make power wise?

Yeha no problem that is what we are here for. Injectors will be fine being that you are looking to run a wet kit.

Depending on the system it is, but our hp rating is at the wheel so you would gain 100 hp with a 100 hp jetting in the system. What are you making to the wheels now??
Old 04-13-2012, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm still waiting to be dyno tuned, I have a street tune right now. I'm estimating 380-400 bc of my stock heads
Old 04-13-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

Man Neal is on it!!! LoL Kinda like when ya call the shop & it doesnt ring more than twice To the OP I would get the LPE controller for timing since youve got an LS car. I dont know the part # but it lets you keep a n/a tune when your not sprayin. WAY better than rollin around on a retarded tune Better milage & performance off the bottle. LT1 cars need a shitload more. LoL Get a fuel pressure safety switch & a Nitrous Outlet ashtray switch panel Youll be set then. Nitrous Outlet has helped me so much it aint even funny Even though my nitrous set up is mostly Nitrous Express & Nitrous Outlet. They race their own stuff & that makes me trust them a whole lot more
Old 04-15-2012, 12:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Another question seeing I'm trying to keep cost at a minimal but run nitrous safely and smart. Would I be better running a Zex kit (500ish dollar) that is brand new?
Old 04-16-2012, 03:03 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by warriorcustoms
Man Neal is on it!!! LoL Kinda like when ya call the shop & it doesnt ring more than twice To the OP I would get the LPE controller for timing since youve got an LS car. I dont know the part # but it lets you keep a n/a tune when your not sprayin. WAY better than rollin around on a retarded tune Better milage & performance off the bottle. LT1 cars need a shitload more. LoL Get a fuel pressure safety switch & a Nitrous Outlet ashtray switch panel Youll be set then. Nitrous Outlet has helped me so much it aint even funny Even though my nitrous set up is mostly Nitrous Express & Nitrous Outlet. They race their own stuff & that makes me trust them a whole lot more

HAHA. I try to catch the phone ASAP. I hate when you call somewhere and it just rings and rings. As you can tell our customer service is taken seriously.

Another question seeing I'm trying to keep cost at a minimal but run nitrous safely and smart. Would I be better running a Zex kit (500ish dollar) that is brand new?

Ill let some of the members jump in and give their advice on that. I just don't want to give any kind of my opinion just because I am employed at a competitor company and don't want to seem bias.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nope.

http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...3&product=2891

This where you need to start

Originally Posted by Neal@NitrousOutlet

Ill let some of the members jump in and give their advice on that. I just don't want to give any kind of my opinion just because I am employed at a competitor company and don't want to seem bias.
I have zero problems being a little bias.

Helps that Dave and company are the best.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Now with the kit you suggest what else would I need. I have no problem buying and supporting a vendor! I'm just looking for the best way to run a 100 shot safely
Old 04-20-2012, 04:23 PM
Chris@NitroDaves

If you wanted a good core setup i'd suggest getting these items to pair with the system listed above.

Window Switch: http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...0&product=4004

N20 Gauge: http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...0&product=2546

Bottle Heater: http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...6&product=3105

FPSS: http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...2&product=2553

NHRA Valve: http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...9&product=2550

Blow Down Tube: http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...8&product=2516

Search this Thread