Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why are my heads lifting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default why are my heads lifting?

Well I went to the track last week for my first race of the season and it seems that my coolant is transfering from the radiator to the overflow tank only when under hard acceleration. It may be burning some as well. I have noticed the overflow tank level go up but not as much as the amount of coolant I had to refill the radiator with. I had to add a total of 1 gallon to make 4 passes. No leaks and no water in the oil. When this started I was not even using the nitrous. I ran all last year with no issues and have been hot roding around on the street this year just fine. On motor I am only making 561 rwhp and the most I have ever sprayed is a 125 shot on a safe tune. I have stock size ARP head studs, Darton MID sleeved ls6 block 4.127 bore, TEA TFS 245's and cometic .040 x 4.125 MLS gaskets (dry) for darton sleeves, .042 quench, 11.9 scr, 250's cam, 4500 ft elevation, 91 in tank, race fuel in stand alone, 29 degrees total timing -7 on the spray, BR7 plugs, evens waterless coolant and edelbrock water pump. There have never been any signs of detonation either. I retorqued my heads once right after I built the engine last year (70 lb's w moly) and the block was freshly resurfaced when ERL did the sleeves. The heads were brand new as well. Is there anything that could cause this that I am missing?
Old 05-30-2012, 04:40 AM
9 Second Club

Are you sure you got the coolant bleed of any air pockets,u might havea steam pocket,What do the spark plugs look like after you spray?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Ya its been running fine for over a year now and consistantly runs at about 210 degrees. The plugs look like the tune is just about right and have no detonation marks. Im only running a 125 shot and when this started friday night I wasn't even spraying.