Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW AFR Gauge what number would be good

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW AFR Gauge what number would be good

I have the TNT 150 shot wet kit & the nano system on order... It's a old kit.. I heard those thing run really rich.. Do you think I could stay with the 150 fuel jets with the nano.. Also a buddy of mine said I should try to get my AFR around 12.0 on spray.. I would like to know the highest afr number I could get away with.. Nano said I would have to up the fuel jet... I really don't want to do that.. THANKS EVERYBODY for your help.. It's been along time.. economy and so on.. Thank GOD I didn't have to sell my car like 2 of my friends have...
Old 06-08-2012, 12:34 AM
Launching!

Yea can't really go by only afr numbers. I am a newb to nitrous but can tell you this READ YOUR PLUGS!!!! On my 100 shot and a 12.2-5 afr it was still rich. The only way you are going confirm what your afr should be is making a pass at the track and reading the data you obtain from from the plugs. Sure it is a hassle but if your only spraying based on afr numbers you will never know if 12.0 is still rich without seeing what your plugs say. Many people spray based on afr's and it works, but I've been hanging around the nitrous section a couple months now, and have learned that getting the most out of your kit is a proper tune up. Just my .02 good luck.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 use the wideband to make sure the AFR is relatively constant/flat.

2 spot check the plugs.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:58 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pete91
Yea can't really go by only afr numbers. I am a newb to nitrous but can tell you this READ YOUR PLUGS!!!! On my 100 shot and a 12.2-5 afr it was still rich. The only way you are going confirm what your afr should be is making a pass at the track and reading the data you obtain from from the plugs. Sure it is a hassle but if your only spraying based on afr numbers you will never know if 12.0 is still rich without seeing what your plugs say. Many people spray based on afr's and it works, but I've been hanging around the nitrous section a couple months now, and have learned that getting the most out of your kit is a proper tune up[/SIZE]. Just my .02 good luck.
Good info for you here.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:59 PM
FormerVendor

Wideband is a good tool to keep you in check all the time. Something that you have to think about with a wideband is where your placement of the sensor is. If it is reading one bank then you will not know what is going on with the other bank. If its reading in the y pipe you will get a good average of the motor but harder to pin point one problem cylinder. Reading plugs will get you on information on each cylinder and that is why most people will say use the wideband with a plug check as back up.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Neal@NitrousOutlet
Wideband is a good tool to keep you in check all the time. Something that you have to think about with a wideband is where your placement of the sensor is. If it is reading one bank then you will not know what is going on with the other bank. If its reading in the y pipe you will get a good average of the motor but harder to pin point one problem cylinder. Reading plugs will get you on information on each cylinder and that is why most people will say use the wideband with a plug check as back up.
If I have a problem with 1 cylinder.. I'm I not screwed.. Wouldn't that be new engine time??
Old 06-08-2012, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

Yea can't really go by only afr numbers. I am a newb to nitrous but can tell you this READ YOUR PLUGS!!!! On my 100 shot and a 12.2-5 afr it was still rich. The only way you are going confirm what your afr should be is making a pass at the track and reading the data you obtain from from the plugs. Sure it is a hassle but if your only spraying based on afr numbers you will never know if 12.0 is still rich without seeing what your plugs say. Many people spray based on afr's and it works, but I've been hanging around the nitrous section a couple months now, and have learned that getting the most out of your kit is a proper tune up. Just my .02 good luck.
Doesn't it suck to be new at this.. Do I have to pull all plugs?? The track is only open at night, going to be kinda rough to do that.. 1 plug no problem.. option 2.. there is a gas station in the middle nowhere buy my house with a long straight away.. I could hit it real hard there and pull them all.. I"m running NGK 7s right now.. Not much of a electrode to look at.. I'm I going to need to cut all the plugs up?????
Old 06-09-2012, 12:51 AM
Launching!

You will most most deffenitly have to cut the plugs to see your fuel ring. I personally didn't read all the plugs I only pulled 7&8 which is wrong to do, at the very least you should pull 5,6,7,8. I don't know if you have a/c still in your car, but that would make the process much longer. If you have access to an open road go for it. Pull all the plugs cut them up and post pics for feed back.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:13 PM
11 Second Club

You will most most deffenitly have to cut the plugs to see your fuel ring. I personally didn't read all the plugs I only pulled 7&8 which is wrong to do, at the very least you should pull 5,6,7,8. I don't know if you have a/c still in your car, but that would make the process much longer. If you have access to an open road go for it. Pull all the plugs cut them up and post pics for feed back.
Thanks for you help... When I get all the plugs out I'll post a new thread.. read my plugs... Atleast the ngk 7s are cheap...

Yes, the car still has A/C... All buddies with there 9sec fox bodys all want to set in my car on 100degree day...
Old 06-18-2012, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

boy the more I read I think about pulling my headers off my car and having EGT bungs welded into each tube