Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm begining to think my converter is too tight...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm begining to think my converter is too tight...

I made it out to the track and I didnt do the greatest. It was pretty humid and the DA was around 2800 but i still think my car should've ran better. I went 10.48 with a 1.59 60' @ 134 mph with 16 degrees total timing. I have basically full suspension on the car besides k member and a arms. I dont have the best rear shocks (comp engineering 3 wat adjustable) but i still think it should be running faster and have a better 60'. i foot brake it to 2000 rpm and my nitrous is activated by a WOT switch. what do you guys think?? i was hoping to be able to hit a high 9 on a 200 shot.

My set-up consists of:
forged stock cube ls1 in a f body
prc 2.5 ls6 heads
ms3 cam
pro yank 3600
9" with a 3.73 gear
qa1 12 way adjustable front shocks
and its around 3600 lbs race weight
Old 06-20-2012, 08:13 PM
10 Second Club

Why can't you footbrake it higher? My ss4000 loves 3300-3400. Figure you should be able to get it closer to 3k
Old 06-20-2012, 08:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The reason it probably isn't 60'ing like it should and the converter seems tighter is because of how hot it is outside.

Are you pulling a set number of timing across the board or are you ramping the timing retard in?

Do you data log the car? If so I/we need to know what rpm the car is at when it registers 1-5mph on the data log. This will give you a good idea of what rpm the stall is flashing too off the hit. Without this info I can't tell you if it is too loose or tight.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems to me the car is down MPH to be running 9s regardless of 60'.. if you 60' poorly 9 times out of 10 you mph higher. For a car as heavy as yours to run 9s, I think you need to be going almost 136 or more.
With that said, are you flashing the converter? Or just sitting on the stall and flat footing it?
What does your nitrous tune up look like? Plugs, jets, pressure, timing retard?

Otherwise, if you can 60' low 1.40s which you should be able to do. That puts you right at or real close to your 9.90s.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, did you loosen up the front end as much as you could? Is it spinning, bogging, hooking then unloading?
If it's hooking and unloading, maybe try and throw a 50lb sand bag in your trunk..(put it in a garbage bag or two first so it doesn't make a mess.)
I know you don't always wanna add weight, but it would help band aid those poor rear shocks.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
The reason it probably isn't 60'ing like it should and the converter seems tighter is because of how hot it is outside.

Are you pulling a set number of timing across the board or are you ramping the timing retard in?

Do you data log the car? If so I/we need to know what rpm the car is at when it registers 1-5mph on the data log. This will give you a good idea of what rpm the stall is flashing too off the hit. Without this info I can't tell you if it is too loose or tight.
Yes it starts with 26 degrees up to 2400 rpm and goes down to 16 degrees all the way to red line.

unfortunately i dont have access to any tuning software so i cant data log.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by StrokerTA
Seems to me the car is down MPH to be running 9s regardless of 60'.. if you 60' poorly 9 times out of 10 you mph higher. For a car as heavy as yours to run 9s, I think you need to be going almost 136 or more.
With that said, are you flashing the converter? Or just sitting on the stall and flat footing it?
What does your nitrous tune up look like? Plugs, jets, pressure, timing retard?

Otherwise, if you can 60' low 1.40s which you should be able to do. That puts you right at or real close to your 9.90s.
i thought my mph was low as well, on a 100 shot i was trapping 126. is it normal to pick up 8 mph on a 100 more horsepower?

No, i cant flash the converter because it doesnt get to a high enough rpm before the nitrous kicks in so i have to stall it up and flat foot it.

the tune up is pretty good, it might be a little on the rich side but my timing mark is perfect, i run b9efs plugs gaped to 30 and i run the pressure around 950 psi and 16 degrees total timing.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:29 AM
Launching!

Also, did you loosen up the front end as much as you could? Is it spinning, bogging, hooking then unloading?
If it's hooking and unloading, maybe try and throw a 50lb sand bag in your trunk..(put it in a garbage bag or two first so it doesn't make a mess.)
I know you don't always wanna add weight, but it would help band aid those poor rear shocks.
it doesnt spin at all, it goes about 10' out then the nitrous hits and it stays hooked. my shocks are pretty loose but not all the way lose. i believe the are 7 or 8 clicks from all the way tight.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tighten them up a click at a time in the rear until it slows down or spins.

When you say you can't flash it, I think what he meant was stall it up to 1200-1500rpm and then let the converters flash do the work for you instead of stalling it up closer to where it stops flashing.

I have found on nitrous letting the car get a run at the converters peak flash point as in leaving a big gap in rpm between where you stage the car to leave and where it flashes to track prep and track surface willing it will go faster doing this.

Try letting it get a run at the converter on your current settings. If the 60' doesn't pick up try tightening the shocks as I said above in this post.

If that doesn't work you need to look at your timing table and try to put a degree or two more in it at the rpm the car leaves at and then bring it back down to 16* from redline to where your converter falls to rpm wise when you shift into 2nd and 3rd. So say you leave at 3000rpm, add a degree or two from 3200-4000rpm and keep it in the motor until 4800-5200 and then pull that degree or two back out at the rpm your motor falls to on the 1-2 shift and 2-3 shift and keep it out as you did before until your shift point or redline or 8000rpm.

That way you will have the same amount of timing you did down track, but off the line you will have a little more oomph to get the 60' down. It is ok to do this at this rpm as there isn't as much cylinder pressure built, but you will want to pull it back out right before peak torque which is probably around 5200rpm on your car and keep it at 16* to where you shift or again redline(our timing tables stop at 8000rpm)
Old 06-21-2012, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Like Fbodyjunkie said... Try and pretend it's a clutch car. Hold it at like 1500, and as the lights are coming down put your foot thru the firewall and let go of the brake at the same time. Like you're side stepping the clutch.

I would still say loosen the front up as much as you can, those rear shocks need all the help they can get.
I've got a customer with a 3rd gen and a 900hp bbc that's been 1.2X's with those rear shocks, and I will tell you.. It's all in the front end travel..
Old 06-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Launching!

thanks a ton for your help guys! i was really disappointed in my car, I will do exactly what you guys are telling me. I think its a really good idea to ramp in more timing at the lower rpms. my goal is to be in the mid to low 1.4s
Old 06-21-2012, 04:21 PM
Launching!

what do you guys think of putting motor timing in the car up until 3600 rpm? would that hurt the motor at all?
Old 06-21-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You might be able to sneak up on it and try it. I personally would just set it so as soon as the nitrous is on, the timing is retarded. Unless you are using a progressive.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Launching!

You might be able to sneak up on it and try it. I personally would just set it so as soon as the nitrous is on, the timing is retarded. Unless you are using a progressive.
no im not using a progressive or window switch. only a WOT switch. do you think thats a little too much timing for the rpm? what about motor timing up until 3000 rpm?
Old 06-21-2012, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would sneak up on it, maybe a degree at a time and see what it likes.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Launching!

what do you mean? add a degree all the way through the curve or just until 3000 rpm?

Quick Reply: I'm begining to think my converter is too tight...