Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nitrous, pcm tune ?? or 2 pcms?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitrous, pcm tune ?? or 2 pcms?

how many guys run 2 individual pcms for their setups.

Such as 1 pcm for everyday driving on a N/A setup with whatever your setup may be. radical or not

Then get to the track and the 2nd pcm tuned for nitrous with timing already pulled from that pcm. So in turn you just plug it in, start the car up and get to the track and spray the car. The pcm is tuned for the spray and timing is already removed say for a 150 shot. So all thats needed is a full bottle and lead foot.

anyone? ideas? suggestions? comments?
Old 06-25-2012, 02:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SPOOLED UP

Such as 1 pcm for everyday driving on a N/A setup with whatever your setup may be. radical or not

Then get to the track and the 2nd pcm tuned for nitrous with timing already pulled from that pcm. So in turn you just plug it in, start the car up and get to the track and spray the car. The pcm is tuned for the spray and timing is already removed say for a 150 shot. So all thats needed is a full bottle and lead foot.

That doesn't have to be done. From what I remember 2 tunes can be done in one PCM so at the flip of a switch the tune can be changed.

Mostly all that needs to be done on nitrous is to pull timing and the PCM can be tuned on the dyno for naturally aspirated and get a timing box and interface it with your coil packs and pull out the desired amount of timing and it will only be triggered when you hit the spray.

There is another way to do it using HPtuners and a resistor in the IAT but that's complicated and I will let the other guys who do that chime in about that.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes i have heard of tunes in one pcm
Old 06-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

No need for 2 pcm's.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Here's how you accomplish what you're looking to do:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...de-system.html
Old 06-28-2012, 05:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Emulsifide
Here's how you accomplish what you're looking to do:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...de-system.html
That requires you to already have hp tuners and then going thru the trouble of making that and wiring it up. Its really not cheaper unless you have hp tuners already then you still need to know what you are doing in there. With the lingenfelter box I can install it in 5 minutes and use a pocket screwdriver to pull the desired amount of timing. Plus I get a launch control out of it too.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
That requires you to already have hp tuners and then going thru the trouble of making that and wiring it up. Its really not cheaper unless you have hp tuners already then you still need to know what you are doing in there. With the lingenfelter box I can install it in 5 minutes and use a pocket screwdriver to pull the desired amount of timing. Plus I get a launch control out of it too.
SPOOLED UP said nothing about cost and/or whether or not he already has HPTuners or if it's available for use. Then again he does say the 2nd PCM would be "tuned" which somewhat implies that he does intend have access to it. This option is cheaper than the LNC-002 if there's someone in the area with HPTuners ($100 for the credits and $30 for the hardware).

My personal opinion would be to go with the LNC-002 due to simplicity and the added launch control, but if you're looking to pinch pennies, what I've already posted is the way to go if and only if you have access to HPTuners.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SPOOLED UP

suggest you go to efilive.com and search for "COS5". For myself, tuning software is as mandatory as getting a set of heads. You will have an investment cost, but can tune your own car. This custom operating system allows you to have a nitrous and regular tune that can be switch activated.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:15 AM
10 Second Club

the easiest way ever is to wire your engine temp sensor on a switch so when flipped it grounds out the sensor causing the engine to pull timing. set in hptuners how much timing you want pulled and thats it. flip and spray away.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:22 AM
Teching In

I do believe MRK Motorsports sells the dual flash PCM. I bought one, just havent put it in yet because I was waiting on my other block and FI but I think I'm going to throw it in soon as I am thinking about taking the nitrous route for now. All you do is purchase it, solder 1 wire in that goes to your switch where ever you want it for easy switching between tunes. Frost used to offer them, i'm sure theres a thread on here that explains everything in detail.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Emulsifide
SPOOLED UP said nothing about cost and/or whether or not he already has HPTuners or if it's available for use. Then again he does say the 2nd PCM would be "tuned" which somewhat implies that he does intend have access to it. This option is cheaper than the LNC-002 if there's someone in the area with HPTuners ($100 for the credits and $30 for the hardware).

If you go that route, have somebody that has HPT do the tune and then decide to up your shot, you're screwed until you can get back with that person.

Quick Reply: nitrous, pcm tune ?? or 2 pcms?