Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two blown engines, one transmission, 3 deployments, One more try for a 9

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 02:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Two blown engines, one transmission, 3 deployments, One more try for a 9

I have fought through this car for the last five years. Started as a stock 10K mile car that I bought from Annex motors in Vilseck, Germany back in 2004.

The car started off strong, running 11.90 with just a cam, air lid, headers, tune, and stall converter in 2004.

Headed to Iraq in 2004-2005. Got back and upgraded the stock 346 to diamond pistons, MS3 cam, and Fast 90/90, and NX direct port. Put QA1s on all four corners and 3.73 gear in the stock 10 bolt. Car went 10.61 on an unprepped air strip in Bitburg.

Headed back to the States in 2007 and ran the stock cube motor to a 6.64 in the 1/8th on a wounded 4L60e. Left for Iraq in October 2007 until Jan 2009.

In February 2009, I came across a deal on a Swanke built 415 iron block LY6 engine with AFR 225cc heads and TREX cam. The engine broke a lifter on the 6th pass and I had to pull and rebuild the engine. I only got two passes on the rebuild before I had to head to Iraq in 2010 for another 12 months.

Got back in April 2011 and went 6.86 in the 1/8th (motor) on a mild tune. Third pass I lost oil pressure. Had to pull the engine and do a complete rebuild. Ended up changing all the rods, Eagle 4" crank, upgraded to Wiesco pistons, and overbored the block to 4.070". I did pay the extra $250 and have the entire assembly balanced.

I headed to Germany in Nov 2011 and paid to have the car shipped over. Headed to the drag strip at Bitburg air field in May 2012 and ran a 10.97 on motor and a 10.25 on a 200hp shot. I notice that it was blowing through 3rd gear in the TH350 pretty bad. I have limited tranny skills, so I decided to pull the tranny and go through it myself. Noticed that the 3rd gear clutch pack was toast. I ended up rebuilding the tranny myself using the Kolene steels and the Red Alto clutches. I am headed to Bitburg this coming weekend to try and get this 9 second monkey off my back. I am embarassed that the stock cube and bottom end cars are running deep in the 9s and I have a stroker that can't even get there. The car does weigh 3500lbs with me in it. I would like to drop some weigh out of the car but it only has 34K on the odometer and I just can't bring myself to cut it up and strip it out.

This coming weekend I will freakin drive naked to get this car into the 9s. I just hope the tranny decides to survive. I knew I should have bought the TH400 when I did the conversion.

WISH ME FREAKIN LUCK PLEASE! I WILL NEED IT.

Last edited by NXZ28; 07-02-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Launching!

Good luck on getting in the 9s! And THANK YOU for serving our country!
Old 07-02-2012, 01:06 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks. The frustration builds everytime I go to the track and come so close, only to have an expensive failure to the drive train.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

good luck!! put the hose to it!
Old 07-02-2012, 05:25 PM
FormerVendor

Good luck!! hope to hear good news soon!!!
Old 07-02-2012, 05:44 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Good luck on your quest for 9's and thank you as well for serving
Old 07-03-2012, 02:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Neal@NitrousOutlet
Good luck!! hope to hear good news soon!!!
I will know either Saturday or Sunday. The track is 270 miles from me and it is a two day event. I will post up the numbers on Sunday evening when I get back. I can't decided whether to spray on the first pass or do a motor pass to be easier on the freshly rebuilt transmission.

Originally Posted by WhiteLTone
good luck!! put the hose to it!
Thanks and will do.

Originally Posted by Firehawk441
Good luck on your quest for 9's and thank you as well for serving
Thanks and you are welcome. I would not chose any other career field.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for serving our country.

Don't worry about getting the monkey off your back I know the feeling only mine is a 5 second monkey!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:46 AM
8 Second Club

Thank you for all that you have sacrificed for our country....hoping you can gives us all,
good news on reaching your goal.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for serving our country. I've owned my SS since 2005 and I am just cracking in the high 10s. Projects take time and money. Keep at it and I hope to see a post with good news
Old 07-05-2012, 02:14 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Thank you for serving our country.

Don't worry about getting the monkey off your back I know the feeling only mine is a 5 second monkey!
That will be my next one. When I was stationed in Georgia, it always seemed I would get the car up and running right when it was around 95 degrees outside. The tracks would not hook for anything. Pretty much had to wait until Sept/Oct for better air. Good luck to you also. I have been following your progress. Amazing what your car, Cams, Carter, and a handfull of others are doing on stock cubes.

Originally Posted by magnum-gto
Thank you for all that you have sacrificed for our country....hoping you can gives us all,
good news on reaching your goal.
Thanks. Now I am just hoping the weather holds out. If the track gets wet at all, it will be junk for the rest of the weekend.

Originally Posted by Justins00ss
Thanks for serving our country. I've owned my SS since 2005 and I am just cracking in the high 10s. Projects take time and money. Keep at it and I hope to see a post with good news
I have invested so much time and money into this car. I wrench, tune, sponsor, and drive the car. I came so close in 2007 with the stock cube motor and then tranny decided to start acting up. Didn't have the time or money to fix it before I left for downrange. Then I started changing my mind every six months about my setup. My Dad straightened me out on that one.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:37 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NXZ28
That will be my next one. When I was stationed in Georgia, it always seemed I would get the car up and running right when it was around 95 degrees outside. The tracks would not hook for anything. Pretty much had to wait until Sept/Oct for better air. Good luck to you also. I have been following your progress. Amazing what your car, Cams, Carter, and a handfull of others are doing on stock cubes.

Thanks. Now I am just hoping the weather holds out. If the track gets wet at all, it will be junk for the rest of the weekend.

I have invested so much time and money into this car. I wrench, tune, sponsor, and drive the car. I came so close in 2007 with the stock cube motor and then tranny decided to start acting up. Didn't have the time or money to fix it before I left for downrange. Then I started changing my mind every six months about my setup. My Dad straightened me out on that one.
Dad's are great for doing that aren't they.

I miss mine everyday and wish he could see what I am doing with my car.

I'm sure yours is very proud of you for your service and performing all the work on your car.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Dad's are great for doing that aren't they.

I miss mine everyday and wish he could see what I am doing with my car.

I'm sure yours is very proud of you for your service and performing all the work on your car.
He is amazed at the things I can and can't do with the car. Pretty much evens out. He has a Gen 1 small block 454 Chevy. It is a Dart Iron Eagle block, forged rotating assembly (Not sure of the brand), Brodix Billet Aluminum Heads, and just about everything else in it I can't afford. It went 5.40s in his 34 Ford Coupe at around 2500lbs. It is a pretty serious motor. He keeps rubbing it in when I have issues with this LSX motor. He wants his 454 in the car but I only want to run the LS engine. I may have to give in. The motor is just sitting in his garage collecting dust. He gave up racing in 2005.

On another note, I am sorry to hear about your father. I am sure it is a tough thing to deal with. I can only imagine.

When are you going for the 5s again?
Old 07-05-2012, 01:20 PM
Launching!

Good luck getting into the 9s. Do u still have the stock rear end?

Thankyou for serving our country.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1TA_956
Good luck getting into the 9s. Do u still have the stock rear end?

Thankyou for serving our country.
Not anymore. I swapped it out for a Currie 9" rearend. I did run a 10.61 with the stock 10 bolt with Superior Axles, Motive Gears, and a support cover.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NXZ28
He is amazed at the things I can and can't do with the car. Pretty much evens out. He has a Gen 1 small block 454 Chevy. It is a Dart Iron Eagle block, forged rotating assembly (Not sure of the brand), Brodix Billet Aluminum Heads, and just about everything else in it I can't afford. It went 5.40s in his 34 Ford Coupe at around 2500lbs. It is a pretty serious motor. He keeps rubbing it in when I have issues with this LSX motor. He wants his 454 in the car but I only want to run the LS engine. I may have to give in. The motor is just sitting in his garage collecting dust. He gave up racing in 2005.

On another note, I am sorry to hear about your father. I am sure it is a tough thing to deal with. I can only imagine.

When are you going for the 5s again?
That does sound like a pretty stout motor. I have a good friend and neighbor with a 496 Dart Iron eagle block, Dart CNC 350's, and two stages who has gone 5.73@120 with just a 78n tune-up in the plate(200 shot) at 3400lbs. He thinks it's amazing what I am able to do with my motor being much smaller than his.

Yea I lost dad back in April of last year. The pain has subsided a lot, but I really just miss the conversations we had about cars when he was alive and when he used to drag race. He used to talk about suspension separation and cam timing and air fuel ratio reading plugs and all that and I used to have no clue what he was talking about but I listened and paid attention like I did anyways. He would be amazed at what I know now and I long to think about the kind of conversations we could have now. I'm sure there would be plenty of old school vs. new school ideas clashing with one another, but I bet I'd be faster than I am now if I had his help.

This Saturday will hopefully be the day. I am going to step up to a bigger jet as I really think the converter is dropping too much on the shift and isn't locking up soon enough.

I think with the nitrous interrupt wire in use now and being able to set the activation at the same rpm my two step is set at will make it run at the lock up point a lot harder and make it lock up sooner. It was flashing to 5500rpm and then locking up hard around 5800ish setting the nitrous 500-700rpm's higher than my two step and basically delaying the hit. I'm hoping it will flash higher and lock up immediately instead of flashing then slipping a few hundred rpm and then locking up. It should really make the converter work like it should. The track will be prepped very well since it will be a very big race there that weekend and having another big race the day prior.