Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FI and Wet Kit Nozzle Placement

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Question FI and Wet Kit Nozzle Placement

I have done quite a bit of searching to no avail. I see the rule of thumb for wet kits is 2-6 inches in front of the TB for nozzle placement. I want to see if it is OK to place the nozzle 3 feet from the TB with some tubing bends on the way. I want to install the kit on a Procharged GTO and it would be much nicer packaging if I can install the nozzle in the charge piping just after the intercooler. However, I am concerned about the fuel possibly dropping out and pooling on its way to the TB.

Also, does anyone know if the fueling will be too rich in the higher RPM band because of using a boost referenced fuel regualtor? In other words since my fuel pressure increases with boost will too much fuel be flowing at high boost levels compared to the nitrous flow (Base FP = 50 psi, Reference to 58 psi on the big end)? I am struggling with dynamic versus static pressure inside the charge piping although I am pretty sure the pressure is dynamic in the piping and would actually serve to draw more fuel at higher air velocities thus needing a smaller fuel jet than normally recommended. Let me know what you think.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you need to install a meth kit and not a nitrous kit. Washer tank is way smaller than a bottle and will all fit under the hood.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think the meth kit will give me 100+ to the wheels and I already have the nitrous kit installed from a previous setup. Maybe I will post this in the FI section to see what they think.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JoeMama's GTO
I don't think the meth kit will give me 100+ to the wheels and I already have the nitrous kit installed from a previous setup. Maybe I will post this in the FI section to see what they think.
Smaller pulley and meth will though.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll also be doing FI and a wet shot simultaneously, but on an f-body, and I had some of the same concerns as you. I plan on placing my nozzle in the recommend 2-6" before the TB area, however. Maybe as long as you're not spraying vertically it will be okay? I have no idea though.

With respect to the fueling and a boost referenced FPR, I thought of implementing one of the two following ideas, perhaps even both:
  • multiple channel nitrous controller with nitrous solenoid(s) on a channel independent of fuel solenoid(s); scale the fuel down as RPM increases... or if the controller supports scaling with boost... scale the fuel with that instead of RPM
  • second fuel pressure regulator and return for fuel solenoid(s); feed line would be Tee'd from main feed, and return would Tee back into the main return ... to keep plumbing simpler with this one, make sure the pressure for your fuel solenoid(s) is always less than (or equal to?) your fuel rail / injector pressure when you start to spray

And yeah, I too already spent all that money on nitrous, I'm not going to NOT use it now...
Old 08-07-2012, 10:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Instead of all that confusion I think both of ya'll need to run a dry shot instead since fuel seem to be the issue. Just have to have enough injector.

Quick Reply: FI and Wet Kit Nozzle Placement