Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plugs change

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plugs change

How often should you change your plugs when you spray your car ?
Old 08-27-2012, 02:46 PM
FormerVendor

It would all depend on your tuneup. If you are rich you will be changing plugs out more often. If you are dead on then you will not be changing your plugs as often. There is not a real dead set answer. It would all depend on your tuneup.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

I changed my last set out after around 8,000 miles and they looked just fine.
My car is well tuned though.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyz
I changed my last set out after around 8,000 miles and they looked just fine.
My car is well tuned though.
I have to ask this, but are you saying after 8,000 miles they looked just fine?
Old 08-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Chris@NitroDaves

In for the answer....

Old 08-28-2012, 11:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
And then there was silience lol.

I change mine after a heavy night of racing. I got lazy and left my current ones in after racing, car sat up 2 weeks, now idles like crap.... Happened before, changed plugs, problem solved.

How do your plugs look on your N/A tune vs Spray?
Old 08-28-2012, 02:40 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by lncboytre_d
And then there was silience lol.

I change mine after a heavy night of racing. I got lazy and left my current ones in after racing, car sat up 2 weeks, now idles like crap.... Happened before, changed plugs, problem solved.

How do your plugs look on your N/A tune vs Spray?
To be 100% honest I have never read my plugs on motor!

Just got the AFR where I wanted it on the wide band, made sure that the VE error % was in line with what I wanted to see(no more than 1-2% in either direction) and that total timing was where I wanted it and no knock was present on motor.

On nitrous that's a totally different story though

I will say that having a dyno that we can load with however much % needs to be accounted for vehicle weight just like running your car at the track would will make plug reading and dialing my motor in SO much easier than having to do it all at the track.

That doesn't mean I won't still read my plugs at the track, but as far as getting the tune-up close it's a godsend.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yessir. Thats what I said.
I was running TR6's at the time, with a ZEX wet kit with a 75 shot on it.
[Purchased from Nitrous outlet, by the way]
I could have put them back in.
My afr at idle is 14.7-15.1.
At cruise, with no load 14.5-14.9 or right around there.
Ran TR6's for 5 or 6 years, and it wasn't untill I went with nitro Dave's wet plate that I went to a BR series plug.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

To be 100% honest I have never read my plugs on motor!

Just got the AFR where I wanted it on the wide band, made sure that the VE error % was in line with what I wanted to see(no more than 1-2% in either direction) and that total timing was where I wanted it and no knock was present on motor.

On nitrous that's a totally different story though

I will say that having a dyno that we can load with however much % needs to be accounted for vehicle weight just like running your car at the track would will make plug reading and dialing my motor in SO much easier than having to do it all at the track.

That doesn't mean I won't still read my plugs at the track, but as far as getting the tune-up close it's a godsend.
Damn, so I could have saved that little money and time and just tuned the nitrous with the plug. I always thought it was a must to "dial in both".
Old 08-28-2012, 07:47 PM
FormerVendor

Yessir. Thats what I said.
I was running TR6's at the time, with a ZEX wet kit with a 75 shot on it.
[Purchased from Nitrous outlet, by the way]
I could have put them back in.
My afr at idle is 14.7-15.1.
At cruise, with no load 14.5-14.9 or right around there.
Ran TR6's for 5 or 6 years, and it wasn't untill I went with nitro Dave's wet plate that I went to a BR series plug.
I still just can't begin to fathom how after 8k miles the plugs still looked "good". Good to me and a lot of the guys on this board a lot faster than me is only achieved after towing up and back from the lanes and shutting it off at the stripe. Then using those plugs to get a reading from, not continuing to run them especially in normal everyday driving as that will really make them not look "good". I'm glad to hear you switched to a non projected tip plug, but not reading your plugs at least initially is really skating on thin ice. I'm glad you didn't hurt your motor doing so.
Originally Posted by lncboytre_d
Damn, so I could have saved that little money and time and just tuned the nitrous with the plug. I always thought it was a must to "dial in both".
One thing I have learned a lot over time is that there are 10 different ways to skin a cat or run a race car. Do it however makes you confident in your testing and results you get from them.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ha ha. You read to much into my post.
I didn't mean I drove 8,000 miles before checking them.
I meant that the last set I put in, stayed in, untill I changed to the plate kit.

Last edited by dannyz; 08-29-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:45 PM
FormerVendor

Ha ha. You read to much into my post.
I didn't mean I drove 8,000 miles before checking them.
I meant that the last set I put in, stayed in, untill I changed to the plate kit.
Gotcha!

I understand what you mean now, and what you meant before you ninja edited your post LOL!
Old 08-29-2012, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does the pill size dictate how often you should/need to replace plugs? So far I've put about 5 bottles through my car on the .052 pill with the same plugs.

.052N
.032F

BR7EF gapped at .032
Old 09-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

Good to know
Old 09-24-2012, 09:54 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Burrhos
Does the pill size dictate how often you should/need to replace plugs? So far I've put about 5 bottles through my car on the .052 pill with the same plugs.

.052N
.032F

BR7EF gapped at .032
Ehh, it does in a way.

If your tune-up is correct and it is indeed how it should be then I wouldn't worry about changing them aside from track use.

I would say if it's a street vehicle that is driven a lot on the street then change them when you get to the track. If you're going to be in a money race or something and you have the opportunity to change them on the street then do it.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Good deal Martin, thank you.

Thankfully Advanced Auto has a 1 year warranty on plugs
Old 09-24-2012, 01:17 PM
FormerVendor

Yea I did that and after about the 3rd trip to the drag strip they started asking me, what are you putting these in...well I lied and said I was putting them in my S-10 LOL and the guy behind the counter that wasn't helping me said, "Hey didn't you tell me one time you were putting these in your camaro with nitrous"? LOL it was all downhill from there.

Moral of the story don't tell the auto parts people you own a sports/race car lmao.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How does the warranty even work? I didn't even know you could warranty spark plugs lol. Pretty good deal if your a nitrous user and changing plugs often.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by djfury05
How does the warranty even work? I didn't even know you could warranty spark plugs lol. Pretty good deal if your a nitrous user and changing plugs often.

Yea I did that and after about the 3rd trip to the drag strip they started asking me, what are you putting these in...well I lied and said I was putting them in my S-10 LOL and the guy behind the counter that wasn't helping me said, "Hey didn't you tell me one time you were putting these in your camaro with nitrous"? LOL it was all downhill from there.

Moral of the story don't tell the auto parts people you own a sports/race car lmao.
Lol they haven't said anything yet but I've only exchanged them once...

It says right on the receipt that they have a 1 year warranty so it's not really that big of a deal.

I kept my receipt and my original box and walked up to the counter and placed all 8 next to the guy and said "well I don't know which one it is, but these cost me a tow truck ride and $75. One of them is messed up and I don't know which one but I would like to have them replaced under the warranty."

They said oh ok, no problem, let's make sure we have them in stock and we can exchange them for you.

5 minutes later I walked out with a new set of plugs for $0 and a fresh 12 month warranty.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:42 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by djfury05
It's in case they foul or are defective you have 1 year to return them.
Lol they haven't said anything yet but I've only exchanged them once...

It says right on the receipt that they have a 1 year warranty so it's not really that big of a deal.

I kept my receipt and my original box and walked up to the counter and placed all 8 next to the guy and said "well I don't know which one it is, but these cost me a tow truck ride and $75. One of them is messed up and I don't know which one but I would like to have them replaced under the warranty."

They said oh ok, no problem, let's make sure we have them in stock and we can exchange them for you.

5 minutes later I walked out with a new set of plugs for $0 and a fresh 12 month warranty.
LOL just don't do it 3 weekends in a row like I did!

Quick Reply: Plugs change