Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I messed up. Sprayed with #7 plug wire not attached to the spark plug.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I messed up. Sprayed with #7 plug wire not attached to the spark plug.

Hey guys been lurking around here collecting all sorts of info over the years. But now I have a question that has me worried so I figured I better sign up and ask.

I did a plug change on Saturday and let my brother take the car out to see how it ran. He sprayed it once and I heard it backfire when he did it. He came back to the house and I looked over everything and could not figure out what caused the backfire.

So on Sunday I popped the hood to change the oil, and I instantly noticed the #7 cylinder plug wire was just hanging off the coil pack. It was not connected to the plug.

Do you think I could have hurt my motor? I am out of town for a few days so I have not pulled the plug to look at it.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BUILTZ
Hey guys been lurking around here collecting all sorts of info over the years. But now I have a question that has me worried so I figured I better sign up and ask.

I did a plug change on Saturday and let my brother take the car out to see how it ran. He sprayed it once and I heard it backfire when he did it. He came back to the house and I looked over everything and could not figure out what caused the backfire.

So on Sunday I popped the hood to change the oil, and I instantly noticed the #7 cylinder plug wire was just hanging off the coil pack. It was not connected to the plug.

Do you think I could have hurt my motor? I am out of town for a few days so I have not pulled the plug to look at it.
Most likely the backfire you heard was just unburned fuel and nitrous in the exhaust igniting.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Teching In

I gave Nitrous Outlet a call this morning. They basically think the same thing. That if the plug wasn't firing then it probably just went right out the exhaust and nothing is hurt. I will pull the plugs when I get back into town Tuesday or Wednesday and post them up for you guys to look at.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:52 PM
FormerVendor

I even double checked with Chris and he was thinking the same as I was. He was thinking that it was just unburned fuel in the tail pipes. Report back to us and let us know what you find.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like those guys said, if it's not fired it can't hurt itself. It would be pulled into the cylinder, compressed, and blown out the exhaust as raw fuel and that could cause a back fire out the exhaust.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 for everything being ok. Nitrous + Fuel + no fire = no problem! Lol.

Quick Reply: I messed up. Sprayed with #7 plug wire not attached to the spark plug.