Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOS Nitrous Noid stuck open! Throw it out or rebuild it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOS Nitrous Noid stuck open! Throw it out or rebuild it?

Hi guys. Went to the dyno today to tune my setup - had a little problem. For those curious, numbers are in the sig.

Problem 1: On my second run my NOS Super Pro shot nitrous noid stuck open after I shut down - did a great job or freezing my entire intake tract. Luckily no damage was done since most of it sprayed out the air filter lol.

Should I try to rebuild this noid (since it's supposedly a good one - rated to ~400 rwhp) or throw it out and go with an NX noid?

Problem 2: Right after the initial nitrous hit, I get a 50 rwtq dip which quickly disappears and the TQ curve returns to normal within 400 rpm. This happened on both runs. Could this be another Nitrous Noid problem, or maybe a NOS remote opener issue?
Old 04-24-2004, 10:50 PM
Restricted User

Yes, if it's an N.O.S. solenoid, they have rebuild kits. They are expensive as hell, in my opinion, for what they consist of ($39 for one, $49 other). It is real easy to rebuild, the 'noid is basically just a plunger.

Not sure about the 50 tq. drop, it could be slight tire spin. Did the dyno roller have adequate cross hatch pattern on the rollers? It could also be a glitch in the dyno. software. I haven't seen too many issues with dyno's and fueling with spray, it should be a vertical line up when the system is activated. Did the Power number drop as well? Weird...
Old 04-24-2004, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
Yes, if it's an N.O.S. solenoid, they have rebuild kits. They are expensive as hell, in my opinion, for what they consist of ($39 for one, $49 other). It is real easy to rebuild, the 'noid is basically just a plunger.

Not sure about the 50 tq. drop, it could be slight tire spin. Did the dyno roller have adequate cross hatch pattern on the rollers? It could also be a glitch in the dyno. software. I haven't seen too many issues with dyno's and fueling with spray, it should be a vertical line up when the system is activated. Did the Power number drop as well? Weird...
Yep power dropped and AFR dropped from 11.X to 10.0 - this tells me that there is a nitrous delivery problem somewhere at that instant. Once the TQ is back online within 400 rpm of the dip, the AFR is back to 11.X - I guess I will fix the noid and see if the surge goes away, but wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:13 PM
Restricted User

Yes, I would say if both power and torque dropped then it's definately the solenoid sticking. Then if one is sticking, you might as well rebuild both...just like brakes, don't just do one side.