Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMPORTANT fogger nozzle info. all read

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default IMPORTANT fogger nozzle info. all read

this is some info i read on a local houston board (hotrodgossip) and thought i would share.

JUNK NITROUS NOZZELS EXPOSED, ARTICLE & PHOTOS BY JOE GOLDEN, HOTRODGOSSIP.COM

I DON'T WANT TO GO ON A RANT HERE BUT THERE ARE ~~SOME FUCKED~~ UP~~ NOS FOGGER NOZZLES OUT THERE!!!

I DON'T DO AS MUCH NITROUS WORK AS I ONCE DID BUT I STILL LIKE TO "FIGURE ON IT" ! WHEN DAVID KOSTKA INSTALLED THE 565 ENGINE HE JUST BOUGHT, RAT DADDY PLUMBBED UP A NEW, OUT OF THE BOX NOS FOGGER SYSTEM, DIDN'T WANT TO ROB ANYTHING OFF THE OLD MOTOR SO ALL NEW PARTS WERE USED.

FIRST TIME OUT THERE WERE PROBLEMS WITH THE NITROUS STSTEM, THE SYSTEM WOULD HIT FOR ABOUT A SECOND AND THEN THE MOTOR WOULD DIE!! AFTER CHANGING EVERYTHING ON THE CAR IGNITON, WIRING ANYTHING YOU COULD THINK OF THEY FOUND THE PROBLEM AFTER ABOUT 2 DAYS OF HARD WORK AND HAIR PULLING!

ALL 8 FOGGER NOZZLES WERE DEFECTIVE! THEY WERE CHECKING THE FUEL SYSTEM FOR ABOUT THE 10TH TIME AND THIS TIME RAT LEFT HIS FUEL PRESSURE TEST GUAGE HOOKED UP TO SEE WHAT WAS GOING WITH THE FUEL PRESSURE. THEY HAD ALREADY UNDONE THE FOGGER FUEL LINES AND THUMBED THE FUEL SELENOIDS AND PLENTY OF FUEL.. THEY HAD ALREADY UNDONE THE NITROUS LINES AT THE FOGGER NOZZELS AND THUMBED THE KIT SEVERAL TIMES AND PLENTY OF NITROUS AT THE NOZZLES. THEY HAD NEVER CHECKED THE FUEL PRESSURE WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING BUT THIS TIME THEY DID. TO EVERYONES SUPRISE INSTEAD OF THE FUEL PRESSURE DROPPING JUST A THAD, IT PEGGED THE FUEL PRESSURE GUAGE OVER 15 POUNDS!!!!!!

LAST WEEK I WENT BY DAVIDS SHOP AND ASKED TO SEE THE BAD NOZZELS. I WANTED TO KNOW WHAT WAS WRONG WITH THEM. I HAVE HAD NOZZELS APART BEFORE AIN'T MUCH THERE TO GO WRONG.. I THOUGHT!

THE WAY THE NOZZEL IS BUILT THE FUEL CHANNEL INTERSECTS WITH THE HOLE THAT HOLDS THE NITROUS STRAW, FLOWS AROUND THE BRASS TUBE THE NOS IS IN AND EXITS THE FUEL HOLE AT THE NOZZLE TIP. THERE IS A MAJOR DESIGN FLAW WITH THIS SYSTEM THAT I NEVER CAUGHT UNTIL NOW!! THE NOS BRASS STRAW MUST SEAL AT THE END OF THE FOGGER NOZZEL OR NITROUS CAN LEAK INTO THE FUEL SIDE OF THE FOGGER NOZZEL AND EITHER RESTRICT YOUR FUEL FLOW OR EVEN TOTALLY BLOCK IT OFF AS IN THE CASE OF THE NOZZLES JUST INSTALLED IN THE 565 ALL THE FUEL TO THE MOTOR WAS TOTALY BLOCKEDWHEN YOU ACTIVATED THE KIT AND THE MOTOR JUST DIED!

THE NEW FOGGER NOZZELS WERE LEAKING INTERNALY SO BAD THAT THEY STOPPED ALL THE FUEL FLOW! THE NITROUS WAS BACK FLOWING IN THE FUEL SYSTEM.THERE IS NO WAY TO DETECT THIS INTERNAL LEAK!! DAVID WAS LUCKY THAT ALL THE NOZZELS WERE FUCKED UP!! IF YOU JUST HAVE ONE NOZZLE WITH THE INTERNAL LEAK YOU WON'T KNOW IT UNTIL IT BURNS UP THAT PISTON!!

SOME OF YOU GUYS ARE HAVING NITROUS PROBLEMS OUT THERE RITE NOW WITH FOGGERS AND IT IS A FUCKED UP NOZZLE THAT IS DOING IT!! IF YOU HAVE EVER REMOVED YOUR JETS AND THE NOS SIDE HAS BACKED OUT ANY AT ALL BEFORE THE JET CAME LOOSE YOU HAVE JUST CREATED AN INTERNAL LEAK IN A FOGGER NOZZLE THAT IS GOING TO KILL A MOTOR!!

I HAVE BEEN HEARING SOME GUYS HAVE BEEN GETTING SOME BAD NOZZLES BUT UNTIL NOW I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON. NOS SOLD THEIR COMPANY TO HOLLEY A YEAR OR SO AGO AND THE WORD I HEAR 10,000 BAD FOGGER NOZZELS GOT OUT BEFORE THEY FOUND IT!!

I HAVE A COUPLE OF EXAMPLES I GOT FROM DAVIDS SHOP, THE NOZZEL WITH SHORT STRAW CAME OFF THE CALVALIER THAT WAS KILLING SOME PISTONS!! THEY ARE NOT SURE WHICH HOLE THIS CAME OUT OF!

THE NEW NOZZELS MIGHT BE LONG ENEOUGH BUT THEY DID NOT SEAT TIGHTLY IN THE END OF THE NOZZEL LIKE THEY WERE SUPPOSE TO ! WHEN WE TOOK IT APART THE END OF THE BRASS STRAW WAS UNMARKED! I TOOK THE NEW STRAW AND SCREWED IT INTO THE NOZZEL WITH THE SHORT STRAW AND THE STRAW CAME BACK OUT SCORED AND BEVELED ON THE END. WE TESTED IT AND IT HAD SEATED IN A NOZZEL THAT WAS JUNK A FEW MINUTES BEFORE!

HERE IS A LOT OF PICTURES, PROBABLY TOO MANY BUT I WANT EVERONE TO BE AWARE OF THIS PROBLEM! ******* NOS CARS ARE HARD ENEOUGH TO DEAL WITH WITHOUT HAVING DEFECTIVE **** LIKE THIS!!!!

HERE IS HOW A NOZZEL IS SUPOSE TO WORK... NOTICE THE RED ARROW AT POINT 1..THIS IS THE AREA THAT MUST SEAL THE NOS FROM THE FUEL SIDE. I'M THINKING THIS AREA IS PROBABLY NOT MORE THAN 1/16 OF AN INCH TO SEAL NOS THAT IS AT LEAST 200 POUNDS OF PRESSURE HERE!! YOUR FUEL IS ONLY AT 6 POUNDS.. EVEN WITH A SLIGHT LEAK YOU COULD RESTRICT HALF OF YOUR FUEL FLOW TO THAT CYLINDER!! THIS LOOKS LIKE A VERY POOR DESIGN TO ME KNOW THT I HAVE LOOKED AT IT CLOSER!

I HAVE TRIED TO TAKE SOME PICS AND ILLUSTRATE THE PROBLEM AS BEST AS I CAN, IF ANYONE HAS ANYQUESTIONS ABOUT THIS JUST CALL ME, 832-597-7177!

HERE IS THE WAY DAVIDS CREW TESTED THE NOZZELS! USE THE STRAW THAT COMES WITH BRAKE CLEANER AND SEAT IT IN THE NOS SIDE OF THE NOZZEL. THIS IS THE ABOVE FOGGER NOZZEL WITH THE SHORT STRAW!
LOOK FOR ANY BRAKE CLEANER COMING OUT OF THE FUEL SIDE. THERE SHOULD BE ABSOLUTELY NONE !!

HERE IS ONE OF THE BAD NOZZELS!

THIS IS A GOOD NOZZEL.

Old 04-27-2004, 05:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, thats fucked, I'll def. make sure to bench test any nozzles before install
Old 04-27-2004, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This is some great, detailed info. Thanks very much. I get my foggers from a local shop that machines them themselves and are designed like the 'soft plume' fogger nozzle so I don't think I have this problem but I will definitely test. Do you know if this problem would affect a 'soft plume' type fogger? I looked on the NOS site and I don't see the type of fogger pictured above on their site. Is this a direct port fogger that is exhibiting the problem?

I didn't even know there were internal parts to the foggers! Thought all the pathways were machined.

Last edited by 5 Liter Eater; 04-27-2004 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:40 AM
Staging Lane

I had this very same problem over 2 years ago with one of there plate systems. I ordered a gt40 plate kit for a mustang and for some reason I thought I should test the kit. So I grabbed my plate, a 5 gallon bucket of water and shot air thru it with my compressor. Well the fuel side sprayed as it should but something still looked strange. I then plugged the fuel side off and blew air thru the Nitrous side. The dang thing was blowing iar back thru the fuel bars. When I called NOS and told them what was happening they gave me an I dont know what Im talking about speach and that they flow test every plate before it leaves. Well I went above him and got a supervisor and explained and he asked me to send in the plate to be flow tested and if it was wrong he would replace it. Well 3 weeks go by and he calls and tells me I was right and he was sending another plate. I got the plate back tested it, It was ok this time and I promptly sold the never used system. Now if you ever hear people bashing the plate kits youll figure out why, Not every plate is tested and IF you get one of these untested plates youll blow your motor up. The reason is because 45 psi of fuel pressure will lose a fight of lets say 1000 psi of nitrous pressure. These plates were getting the fuel blown back into the fuel rails hence leaning out the motor and destoying them. Will I ever buy another kit of theres. NO. Am I one of the few people with a problem like this. evidently not. With most of these companies having there parts made out of the US quality has been reduced. maybeIm just rambling on but you do get what you pay for. just my 2 cents.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

Damn man that sucks, I just built a Fogger setup for my SBC, but haven't installed the intake yet, I guess I'll test all of my nozzles before I install the intake. I wonder if I could just leave all of my nozzles installed and inject pressurized where the Noid connects to the distribution block. Then I'll just disconnect the fuel noids and see if anything back flows through my fuel side.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

stangsteve i agree and people should get mad about this because hell i would hate to blow a 10,000$ motor because of something stupid that was someone elses fault. But the site i got this from they are running big *** motors to me more the reason to be pissed.

5 liter if you have any ?? call joe the number that is listed there i am sure he can help you.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:54 PM
BMN
TECH Apprentice

Really great info. Thanx
And a quick TTT for the not so frequent viewers to catch a glimps of before it disapers into the many pages.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats deffintly bad news.Here is a cut out of one of NXs Shark nozzles.As you can see there nozzles are better quality.

Last edited by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet; 12-23-2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-03-2004, 02:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
Thats deffintly bad news.Here is a cut out of one of NXs Shark nozzles.As you can see there nozzles are better quality.
**** good god I searched before installing my kit this should be made as a sticky ! Just tested mine and they came up clean (i have 2). Not sure altough with all the pressure that will go around that area that brake cleaner is a safe test.

Last edited by Fishv12; 10-03-2004 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-03-2004, 03:22 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is old news. And as a nitrous user you should always check to make sure your nozzles and jets are never blocked or plugged. Most people take for granted that stuff ships from the factory without defects. It always pays to check things out for yourself.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
How about I send ya two of each of the Shark and the Piranha nozzle just for personal viewing to see how both nozzles where completely unmachined internally on the fuel side of the nozzle. Even NX sells product without quality check.

Don't kid your self if you think one company is better than the other.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DERTY
This is old news. And as a nitrous user you should always check to make sure your nozzles and jets are never blocked or plugged. Most people take for granted that stuff ships from the factory without defects. It always pays to check things out for yourself.

I can check like you said but would I have known this ? It's not clogged like you said just not flowing right and this isn't so easy to tell. Even if it's old news glad I've searched on the subject and tested mine out which was fine. This should be made as a sticky to remind ppl to check theirs for defectiveness in material that's all.

Quick Reply: IMPORTANT fogger nozzle info. all read