Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

running WAY rich on 150

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default running WAY rich on 150

Hey guys, spent the weekend at the track after adding a standalone and new urging wideband.to.dial the car in

1st pass out the standalone was at 57.5 psi with a 62n 33f jets, 1050 bottle pressure...car was pegged @ 10.00 aft

Second pass I dropped fuel pressure 5psi to 52psi, still pegged at 10.00afr

3rd pass I ran 1120psi bottle pressure and it read 10.5afr

How would you guys approach this? I'm not against spraying more so I considered just upping the nitrous jet to 73 or so, or dropping fuel only to 28? Or should I just turn the fuel pressure down more on the standalone until its good and move from there?

Any input is appreciated, thanks
Old 07-29-2013, 03:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We ha to run a 19 fuel jet on a 78 nitrous jet on c16 and 55psi. On a nitrous outlet stand alone and plate kit on a 346 ci vette. This was 23* timing and 11.5:1 afr and ngk -9 plugs. As long as youre monitoring your afr's and reading the plugs keep adjusting either fuel pressure or jet size until you get it where you want it. It took us about 15 pulls on the dyno to get it where we wanted
Old 07-29-2013, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

Should I start by dropping fuel pressure, or jet size? Or both?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

I'm running 22* timing and br8ef plugs
Old 07-29-2013, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im on a low PSI stand alone, but the pressure isnt the problem, its your jets. Thats where I'd start. Im sure your aware its always comforting to start out RICH then LEAN, makes for less stressful runs.

Go with a 28 fuel jet and see what it does, you'll at least be heading in the right direction.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:43 PM
12 Second Club

I would only change one variable at a time. Don't change the jet and the fuel pressure. I would decrease the jet size until you are close then use fuel pressure if you have to fine tune the mix.
Also don't forget that the AFR gauge is a tool not an absolute, get it close and read your plugs.
And as someone else said, its best to start fat and work your way back but pegging 10 is really rich.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would first make sure your AFR on motor is where it needs to be. I would then put the stand alone back to 55 psi and go to a 27-28 fuel jet, run 950 psi bottle pressure and make a 330 hit and see what the AFR is and look at the plugs to see if they correspond with wide band. If they do then I would just make some more 330 -660 hits until you get the AFR around 12.0 and then finish dialing it in by the plugs. I don't see any reason why you should have to go much lower than that on fuel jet if your motor tune was close. I would prob go up a few steps on the nitrous jet or down on fuel pressure before I went a lot lower on the fuel jet. The smaller the fuel jet the more chance of trash clogging it , so make sure you run a nitrous filter if you don't have one already.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Killer5.3
I would first make sure your AFR on motor is where it needs to be. I would then put the stand alone back to 55 psi and go to a 27-28 fuel jet, run 950 psi bottle pressure and make a 330 hit and see what the AFR is and look at the plugs to see if they correspond with wide band. If they do then I would just make some more 330 -660 hits until you get the AFR around 12.0 and then finish dialing it in by the plugs. I don't see any reason why you should have to go much lower than that on fuel jet if your motor tune was close. I would prob go up a few steps on the nitrous jet or down on fuel pressure before I went a lot lower on the fuel jet. The smaller the fuel jet the more chance of trash clogging it , so make sure you run a nitrous filter if you don't have one already.
If hes at 1050psi, going to 950 is only going to make him more rich.

Nitrous/fuel jets aren't exactly plug an play like everyone thinks. I found out the hard way. You expect to put the 100 pills in and make 100 to wheels, but thats a perfect world. You have to mix and match and find the right AFR or use a dyno to see where your at HP wise.

Again, I personally would continue jetting the fuel down in small increments if I wanted to keep the nitrous pill the same. And a filter is a good idea too.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FoHawk
If hes at 1050psi, going to 950 is only going to make him more rich.

Nitrous/fuel jets aren't exactly plug an play like everyone thinks. I found out the hard way. You expect to put the 100 pills in and make 100 to wheels, but thats a perfect world. You have to mix and match and find the right AFR or use a dyno to see where your at HP wise.

Again, I personally would continue jetting the fuel down in small increments if I wanted to keep the nitrous pill the same. And a filter is a good idea too.
Yea I realize that lower bottle pressure will make the tuneup richer , but Nitrous Outlet has designed the kit to operate @950 ,not, to mention that starting with pressure that high is going to cause a lot of pressure drop which will make the tuneup less consistent through a full run. I run the same kit and the jetting is somewhat conservative out of the box, but, shouldn't be that far off to be at 10.0 afr. Their plates are setup for 55 psi @ the jet range he is running so if everything is operating like it should going down 4-5 steps on fuel jet should put it close anyway. Like I said I would verify that his motor tune is where it needs to be first and go from there.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Yea I realize that lower bottle pressure will make the tuneup richer , but Nitrous Outlet has designed the kit to operate @950 ,not, to mention that starting with pressure that high is going to cause a lot of pressure drop which will make the tuneup less consistent through a full run. I run the same kit and the jetting is somewhat conservative out of the box, but, shouldn't be that far off to be at 10.0 afr. Their plates are setup for 55 psi @ the jet range he is running so if everything is operating like it should going down 4-5 steps on fuel jet should put it close anyway. Like I said I would verify that his motor tune is where it needs to be first and go from there.
I run a different kit, but my experience was like his except I was too lean.

I also thought most kits were/are conservative and put in the 75 jets to begin the tuning process on a stock LS3 vette.... Car made 100rwhp and had a AFR of 13.2 and the run was aborted. We could not use the jetting chart for some reason. Ended up having to mix an match, ended up with a 90hp shot by mixing a 100 nitrous pill with a 150 fuel pill. Definitely was not an out of the box cookie cutter kit in my scenario which is why I can relate to having AFR issues.

Either way, you gotta start somewhere so pick your spot and lets get the party started.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:04 PM
9 Second Club

How does the car run? any mph change from these changes if you were at the track?

What do the plugs look like?

I know its weird but my wideband would peg rich with my kit and the plugs were very good and happy. Recently seen someone mention that on another forum too. Perfect AFR on motor but nomatter what dead rich on the nitrous

Last edited by camscam02; 07-30-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camscam02
How does the car run? any mph change from these changes if you were at the track?

What does the plugs look like?

I know its weird but my wideband would peg rich with my kit and the plugs were very good and happy. Recently seen someone mention that on another forum too. Perfect AFR on motor but nomatter what dead rich on the nitrous
^^^ Yep widebands can do some stupid stuff sometimes. That's what I was hinting at about if everything was working like it should then it shouldn't be that far off afr wise.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FoHawk
I run a different kit, but my experience was like his except I was too lean.

I also thought most kits were/are conservative and put in the 75 jets to begin the tuning process on a stock LS3 vette.... Car made 100rwhp and had a AFR of 13.2 and the run was aborted. We could not use the jetting chart for some reason. Ended up having to mix an match, ended up with a 90hp shot by mixing a 100 nitrous pill with a 150 fuel pill. Definitely was not an out of the box cookie cutter kit in my scenario which is why I can relate to having AFR issues.

Either way, you gotta start somewhere so pick your spot and lets get the party started.
What did the plugs look like? I don't trust just going off a wideband. I look at my plugs and then whatever the wideband reads, it reads. It can be some off the wall reading but as long as I know my reading on my plugs are good, I'm good. Even with the off the wall reading, if it changes any, then I know something is wrong with the tuneup.
Originally Posted by camscam02

What do the plugs look like?

^^^ Yep widebands can do some stupid stuff sometimes. That's what I was hinting at about if everything was working like it should then it shouldn't be that far off afr wise.
Same here.

We had a car that read something stupid like 15.8:1 A/F but the plugs looked perfectly fine. We know though if the 15.8 changes, then something is going on with the tune.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

The car is running 12.2 afr on motor, so I dont think its the gauge, im concerned about the right bqnk not getting enough spray due to a possible angle issue with my shark nozzle, and my wb is on the right side,im going to put a plate in tonight and make some test hits and see if thats the problem, if not the 28 fuel jet is going on, ill post results, thanks for the input thus far
Old 08-09-2013, 05:07 PM
9 Second Club/Nitrous Mod

12.2 n/a is pretty rich, so that may be part of your problem right there. 12.8-13.2 is ideal.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There are tuners out there that believe the motor tune has to be at a richer afr to compensate for the nitrous. The motor tune need to be the motor tune and nothing else and it needs to be at the correct afr first before the nitrous is used. 12.2:1 is not a good afr for the motor tune. I dont understand this thinking , but, it is some big name tuners. I know this to be fact because I have seen their work first hand on more than 1 vehicle. Get your motor tune fixed first and then start dialing in the nitrous tune. Yours isnt as bad as some I have seen. I just saw one recently that was tuned to 11.2:1 on motor because it was going to be sprayed and it was a well known tuner. That is exactly why I bought software a few years ago and my son tunes our junk.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

Just went and sprayed it on the plate with 62/31 jets and 1040 pressure, ran 10.4 afr...my car has made over 100 passes on the stock bottom end running 12.2, im not super keen on changing that right away, although all along I knew it was pretty rich, its just done me right...going to order some smaller fuel jets in the morning and try again
Old 08-09-2013, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FiFdYnUtz
Hey guys, spent the weekend at the track after adding a standalone and new urging wideband.to.dial the car in

1st pass out the standalone was at 57.5 psi with a 62n 33f jets, 1050 bottle pressure...car was pegged @ 10.00 aft

Second pass I dropped fuel pressure 5psi to 52psi, still pegged at 10.00afr

3rd pass I ran 1120psi bottle pressure and it read 10.5afr

How would you guys approach this? I'm not against spraying more so I considered just upping the nitrous jet to 73 or so, or dropping fuel only to 28? Or should I just turn the fuel pressure down more on the standalone until its good and move from there?

Any input is appreciated, thanks
^^what Cam said.

My thoughts are just that. what mph was gained? It will give you an idea if you are really using 150hp of nitrous. post up plugs and mph changes.
You could also have an issue w/the solenoid closing as you increase pressure on the nitrous.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
^^what Cam said.

My thoughts are just that. what mph was gained? It will give you an idea if you are really using 150hp of nitrous. post up plugs and mph changes.
You could also have an issue w/the solenoid closing as you increase pressure on the nitrous.
I tried to point out that bottle pressure needed to be where Nitrous Outlet recommends it.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

We run high bottle pressure quite often, I dont really see that being the issue with anything, im picking up ~11mph, and not a very big difference in mph gained on the back half on spray vs. On motor

Quick Reply: running WAY rich on 150