Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinions on a second stage

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 11:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default opinions on a second stage

I am currently building a nitrous motor for my car and have given some thought to adding a second stage for next year. I have a shark nozzle setup and a no plate currently (only using the plate). What are your opinions on running the plate at 150, and the nozzle (on button activation) with 100 pills, 250 total...the reason I am considering this isni do a lot of heads up/grudge racing and also street racing, I think the button and extra 100 could come in handy for messing with people...has anyone tried this? Or do you see some potential issues that could arise? Thanks for any input
Old 08-20-2013, 12:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FiFdYnUtz
I am currently building a nitrous motor for my car and have given some thought to adding a second stage for next year. I have a shark nozzle setup and a no plate currently (only using the plate). What are your opinions on running the plate at 150, and the nozzle (on button activation) with 100 pills, 250 total...the reason I am considering this isni do a lot of heads up/grudge racing and also street racing, I think the button and extra 100 could come in handy for messing with people...has anyone tried this? Or do you see some potential issues that could arise? Thanks for any input
I see no issues with this except you will have to tune it very well because you may run into distribution issues. A 2 stage plate would be better. What would be the best though since you are a grudge racer like me is a plate with a moneymaker intake! "I only have one stage man!"
Old 08-20-2013, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What fuel pump do you have? What will you use to pull timing ? Make sure you have a good pump and hotwire kit and stand alone depending on what overall power will be. It is a lot harder to tune 2 systems vs 1. Unless you bring the 2nd one in early in the run, you won't see much et improvement with it. I would run a .078 jet (200 approximately) in the plate and use a progressor to control the launch % and ramp time for best traction depending on surface and conditions. I would just use the plate myself, but, if you just want to use 2 ,put 50 on the nozzle and bring it in as soon as the car is hooked and all of 1st kit is in. Make 100% sure your motor tune is dialed in @12.8 -13:1 afr and get the plate tuneup dialed in before you start using the nozzle too. I would put about 17-18 degrees total in it for the plate to start , BR8ef plug gapped @.028, and would probably start with the .044 fuel jet which is out of the box. You may very well end up having to step down a couple of jet sizes on the fuel to get it where it needs to be. Once you get the afr and the plugs where they need to be you may can put some timing back in it. Every combo is a little different as far as want it wants ,but, my cam only ls1 like 18 degrees total on a .078n / .042f setup. I like reading the plugs because widebands can give screwing readings sometimes. They are ok for comparison sake ,but, the plugs will always tell you what is going on. If you aren't familiar with plug reading , there is info on here and Yellow Bullet.com about how to read plugs. If you decide to step up to the 250 shot I would probably keep a close eye on the heat in the plug as you may have to step up to a 9 heat range and I would start with about 15 degrees timing. The jetting I suggested is based on high pressure, 55 psi, so if you are running a low pressure stand alone it would be different jetting. NO has jetting charts on their website.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like SB said, best bet would to be to run a dual plate set-up and use just use a progresser for both hits. Don't need to mess with buttons, even more so if this is a 6-speed car.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a .73 jet I would run a BR7EF's plug, then a BR8EF's above that to an .088 jet and then a 9 above that. Gap the 7's @ .030 and the 8 or 9's at I .026-.028.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

Im running br8ef plugs at .028 and im running a full standalone fuel system for the spray, timing is being pulled via hptuners and a timing tuner, not really looking to go progressive, but a 50 hit with the button definitely wouldnt be worth setting up another set of noids
Old 08-20-2013, 01:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd rather see you run a 2 stage plate from Nitrous Outlet and put 100 in one plate and 150 in another.

If you are on some slicks you should be able to hook the 100 out the hole to stay in front of your opponent. Then at that point you can judge if you can let off the 100 or stay in it to beat him by a car length (never show your full hand). If he is still coming hard with the 100 on then you can blast him with the 150 on top the 100 or just flip to the 150.

2 stages at that power level is not hard to tune. Now if you were spraying 150 and a 250, then yea that's going to take some time to tune unless you run 2 bottles.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just realized you had the other thread about being way rich on 150 shot. You need to get your motor tune straight before you fool with nitrous anymore or you just going to end up with a pile of parts. adding 2nd kit or stage is jut going to compound the problems you already have. You for sure need to check your plugs and make sure the wideband you are reading is accurate. 11.9-12.0 is too rich if it is.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:16 AM
11 Second Club

The second stage is for the motor im currently building, it will be getting tuned at speedinc next year, hence why im not wasting money getting my current setup retuned just to race it a couple more months

Quick Reply: opinions on a second stage