Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ms3+150shot+stock shortblock

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ms3+150shot+stock shortblock

I'm new to nitrous, but not to the rest of the game. I wanted to run something by you veterans that race to get some opinions. My engine mods are ms3 and top end kit, headers, stock ls6 intake with 42lb green tops, vararam twin cone air filter, and a meziere water pump...pretty simple. ?The car also has a Walbro 255. The shortblock is a stock '02 ls1 with only 24k miles on it.
I'm intending on purchasing a Nitrous Express F body specific wet kit, and a hidden trunk bottle mount bracket. For supporting accessories, I'm going to get a blow down tube, fuel pressure sensor shutoff, window switch, and tps switch. I also plan to run a bottle heater. The car would be tuned at Beyond Redline in Green Bay.
The car currently makes decent power for the mods already (116mph trap) and with any sort of traction is a solid 11 second car. I drive this car alot on the street and nitrous will be track only ( i can't hook up what I have now at the local track with ET streets)
For track only application of that level of spray, am I on the right track and with good tuning should the engine be OK? I know any/everything mechanical can break, and if it does break, I will build a forged shortblock. I just want to know if I would be way better off backing it down to a 100shot. This is a popular cam, so I'm sure there should be alot of available input.
Stay safe
Old 10-06-2013, 09:34 PM
11 Second Club

As long as the tune is setup good you shouldn't have a problem. I have heard before that the MS3's like nitrous also.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see any reason that with your current setup that you wouldn't be able to run 150hp. I have heard of several people running the ms3 cam and using 150hp without any problems.

If you would like you can give me a call and we can go over everything to make sure we get all of your questions answered, and if you are in the market for a system I can get you taken care of.

Trey
Old 10-08-2013, 05:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just want to know why you can't hook? I've hooked 9 second cars at the track on stock "what GM gave me" suspension. I dont see why you can't hook. I would look into that first before purchasing a nitrous system. Just like the old saying "all the power in the world does you no good if you can't put it to the ground".
Old 10-08-2013, 06:26 AM
9 Second Club

Cam went deep 9s with the MS3. Your combo is very stout, should be a dang fast car with an auto.

I assume you are running a 6sp?

What size tire? (ditch the et streets also)
Old 10-08-2013, 06:54 AM
On The Tree

Im in the same situation that your are in. I also have the ms3 with prc ls6 heads. Ill be running the 78mm plate kit from nitrous outlet and plan on starting out on a 150 then once that is figured out bumping to a 200. I have a rossler th400 waiting to go in so im curious to see the difference between our cars.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
I just want to know why you can't hook? I've hooked 9 second cars at the track on stock "what GM gave me" suspension. I dont see why you can't hook. I would look into that first before purchasing a nitrous system. Just like the old saying "all the power in the world does you no good if you can't put it to the ground".
I've hooked a 9 second land barge on a 10" tire before too, see sig. Part of my problem is that I ran at Great Lakes Dragaway before, WIR now. Very little track prep there. I have a 6speed and the MS3 really needs to be launching higher than I can with these tires at that track. The highest I can leave the line has been around 5200rpm without completely blowing the tires off. So, what happens is the launch starts good and then dips a bit because of the unfavorable launch rpm. The front end dipping takes loading off the rear and the tires start spinning again and I run a 1.72 instead of something more like a 1.50.
If I'm not losing my mind (), the big boost in torque lower in the rpm from the nitrous might allow me to actually leave at a little lower rpm and not completely fry the tires off. Trial and error I guess, only one way to find out.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Carter01
Cam went deep 9s with the MS3. Your combo is very stout, should be a dang fast car with an auto.

I assume you are running a 6sp?

What size tire? (ditch the et streets also)
Tire is a 28x12.5x15 ET Street Bias Ply. I have looked at the 27x11.5x15 QTP, but with my gearing and nitrous I think that might be too much trap rpm for my shortblock
Old 10-09-2013, 10:01 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Iceman02
Tire is a 28x12.5x15 ET Street Bias Ply. I have looked at the 27x11.5x15 QTP, but with my gearing and nitrous I think that might be too much trap rpm for my shortblock
Ditch the ET street and go with a 28x10.5x15s (stiff sidewall). I tired for years to hook on the ET Street and never could get it to bite. You won't regret switching to a slick on a 6sp car.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Carter01
Ditch the ET street and go with a 28x10.5x15s (stiff sidewall). I tired for years to hook on the ET Street and never could get it to bite. You won't regret switching to a slick on a 6sp car.
JLws6 gave me the same advice when I was trying out drag radials. I thought I would at least give the "street legal" bias ply tires a shot first because I got them for a killer deal, so I could have a multi-purpose ride seeing I drive it as much as I do.
I might just have to bite the bullet and get a separate set of BS 15x10s and run slicks again.
Anyone have any torque curve graphs for a combo like this? Im real interested where the torque curve is at starting around 4k.

Carter01 question for you... Both tires have the same circumference 88". In your experience, did you notice more tire growth with the slick than the ET street, or were they about the same at similar trap speeds. My clearances are tight-tight and I don't know if tire growth between the two is the same. Asking MT didn't help.

Quick Reply: ms3+150shot+stock shortblock