Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much nitrous can I run?? Dry e85 shot with some comp.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 04:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much nitrous can I run?? Dry e85 shot with some comp.

Hey all, I have a 5.7 Ls1 with .045 milled off of 243's and I have .040 cometic gaskets.

Camtech 233/233 cam.
Ported 243's
60lb injectors
fast 90/90
running e85
arp head bolts
stock bottom end
good tuner.

What size dry nitrous shot would I be able to run?
Planning on using a plate setup.

Thanks in advance,
Blair.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:46 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you can run as much as you want to....but the amount that the engine can swallow is the question, and the strength of the stock bottom end will be your hard limiting factor...

realistically, you are only going to get to a 200/250 shot before you reach "safe limits" of the stock bottom end

the next limiting factor is going to be your injectors...and being on e85... its like having 40lb injectors on regular pump gas...which means you are out around a 150 shot..maybe even out by a 100 shot...

if you get bigger injectors, and arent worried about the bottom end, then the next limit is the Heads.....
if they arent ported for nitrous, then there will be a point where you dont gain any power from going to a bigger shot....
guys have done a 300 shot on those heads (if ported properly) with no issues

also, you have no mention of your fuel system.... is your fuel system up to it?
stock pump? aftermarket pump? in tank? extrenal? total flow volume of your pump? stock fuel lines and rails? aftermarket lines and rails?

theres just not enough info to know for certain...

best thing you can do is buy a bunch of jets, and try it and see where it runs out...
if your "tuner" is good...he will know when to stop...not just anybody can tune a big shot of nitrous...
is he going to read plugs? cause you have to with nitrous...period

bigger shots cant be done off of X amount of Timing retard and X amount of AFR....even small shots should not be done with that even though a lot of people do it that way.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, sorry I didn't include fuel setup.

Currently has an intank aeromotive fuel pump, but will be going surge tank soon with more upgrades.

Stock fuel lines and rails.
Currently making 400rwhp through an ss4000 converter if that makes any difference.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

With ample fuel system(pump/lines/injectors etc) the stock bottom end is your limiting factor. How much you're going to spray at it will be up to you. Mind if I ask why you prefer a dry setup to a wet kit?
Old 10-17-2013, 02:24 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just remember... in general... the Stock Bottom end typically is good to around 550-600 RWHP before it starts having issues....
so assuming you are at 400 now.... a 150 shot *should* be safe for the stock bottom end...
I would not go any bigger until you are ready to rebuild or upgrade the crank/rods/bolts/pistons

Quick Reply: How much nitrous can I run?? Dry e85 shot with some comp.