Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had to install a relay for my nitrous, HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 08:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had to install a relay for my nitrous, HELP?

I had a close incounter with my TNT kit, so I thought it was time to install a relay. Heres my question. I know nothing about wiring, this is what my friend told me. "get (2) 5 prong relays I will wire the noids to them, to run off your switch" Well, that night I did what he told me, well it turned out that one of the relays was a defect out of the box . So I said the hell with it. I ordered a sweet MSD relay double throw, double pole relay rated at 40amps. It has 8 posts and is supposed to be exaclty for my application. My question is, why is running relays more safe, that running one inline 30 amp fuse?
Old 05-07-2004, 04:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well for one, why aren't you running a relay now? You should only need one relay for your system. I guess I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:13 AM
TECH Resident

1 relay is all you need.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:15 AM
Teching In

If you have a transbrake, you will need 2 relays. I have enclosed a diagram that should help you. It keeps the nitrous off when you are on the brake and wide open. If you are using a 2-step, I think you can just substitute in the 2-step for the brake on the diagram.

Hope this helps.

Vanilla
Attached Thumbnails Had to install a relay for my nitrous, HELP?-nitrous_activation_circuit.jpg  
Old 05-07-2004, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can't just use a 30amp fuse because the current is to much for the microswitch for wide open throttle. All you need is one relay. The outer four pins on the relay should be labeled 30, 87, 85, and 86. 30- 12volt+ fused(30amp) wire from battery, 85- ground to car chasis, 86- +12volt in from micro switch output, and 87 12volt connected directly to the solenoid(s). The ground on the solenoids just goes to chasis metal ground anywhere also. I am assuming running 12volts from the arming switch to the wide open throttle switch input.

Quick Reply: Had to install a relay for my nitrous, HELP?