Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone make their own kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone make their own kit?

Just curious if anyone has ever pieced together their own kit. A few fittings, couple lines, jets, couple nozzles and solenoids and you should be good to go right? I think it could be done alot cheaper then buying a commercial kit and have all the same parts. How bout some feedback on why or why not this would be practicle.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:42 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sometimes the cost of all the parts by themselves is actually pricier. Once you get all the parts and you recycle them it's much cheaper though! I looked at it when I did mine and the sum total of the right noids and jets, etc. just far outweighed the cost of a kit.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built mine out of parts that friends had laying around. I just had to buy a nozzle and a Cheater solenoid rebuild kit.

I have found that if you are going to go ahead and buy a kit, the best deal seems to be to buy the Edelbrock kit for carbureted cars part#70001. Summit sells it for $379 and it comes with just about everything you need for either a wet or dry setup. You will need to purchase a nozzle whichever delivery method you choose. This is about $180 cheaper than the NOS kit #5177. You can use some of your savings on extras like a bottle warmer, FPSS(included in 5177), plugs, or a fuel pump. We have used this setup on more than one LS1 and it has worked great.

Mike
Old 05-06-2004, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did but that is b/c I wanted 2 polished NOS bottles, And a 2 stage wet kit with annular nozzles! So that is 2 bottles 6 solenoids and a custom fuel setup for if of my boost regulator! So if a Nos 5177 kit is $500each and I only need the solenoids and nos lines it was better to buy the parts each rather than 2 kits
Old 05-06-2004, 10:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Why the 6 solenoids?? 2 for fuel and 2 for nitrous right?
Old 05-06-2004, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by theblur98ss
Why the 6 solenoids?? 2 for fuel and 2 for nitrous right?
And purge times two. Sometime I think my car just has to much crap on it!
Old 05-07-2004, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

its only worth it to piece a kit together, if you have some of the expensive parts laying around, (noids, main feed line, bottle)

I have in the past pieced kits together, not too hard, all you need is a bottle, feedline, noid, short line, and nozzle, and jets.

wiring is no big deal, its just a simple micro switch, relay, and fuse.

Ryan
Old 05-07-2004, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The parts add up quick! Those AN fittings/hoses are not cheap. I got a NOS dry kit for a Mustang off ebay that had a fuel noid and purge noid for $260. I had to get relay, switches, wire, fogger, jets, fuel noid to fogger hose, extra 4' of 4AN supply hose, misc AN couplers, think that's it. I was able to sell the fuel pressure riser that comes with the Mustang/universal EFI dry NOS kit for $15. All totaled I have about $540 into it but that includes $55 for window switch (Harlan) and $100 for pressure controlled heater (Cold Fusion).

So I would say if you use used parts you can save some $ but it's used, not new.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:43 AM
Motorboater

done it a few times on various cars. its all easier to slap a pieced together dry kit on a car than a wet kit obviously.

a dry kit is cake, just need the essentials to get it done.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I actually bought a pieced together kit from a guy, a top gun solenoid, lines, NOS fogger, wiring harness, arming switch with mounting plate, WOT switch, bottle, all sorts of jets, and he pretty much installed the thing for me, for $300, bought new gauge, for $42 I think, then had to buy new manifold since the cheap piece of crap aluminum one busted, and a new heater from dyno tune for $120 I believe, so all together so far, about $460, all I need now is a window switch, and I have a better system than most of them, mainly because of the huge solenoid, that can handle more than the ones that come in most of the kits. Just shop around and you can do it for cheaper and get a better system.