Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do my plugs look?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do my plugs look?

Car is a 2008 LS3 A6, Lts ORX, CAI, and 100 Shot.

Changed from the tr55's to Br7fe's. Can answer any questions and open to any input and suggestions..

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails How do my plugs look?-plug-1.jpg   How do my plugs look?-plug-2.jpg   How do my plugs look?-plug-3.jpg   How do my plugs look?-plug-4.jpg  
Old 12-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That plug looks pretty good. Definately in the safe zone. I would go to the track, and pull one more degree of timing out, and see if it picks up any. But you have a great basepoint. If you are trying to squeeze a little more out of the car, go to the track and pull a degree of timing, and see if the car picks up any, MPH wise. The simplest way to put this is, you want the least amount of timing, without the car slowing down. If you read any on yellowbullet, there is a thread where they pulled more timing, and the truck actually picked up MPH. I know this sounds weird, but its something worth a try, I'll see if I can locate the thread in the meantime. Let me know if you have any questions.

-Garrett
Old 12-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Thank you for that input! And thank you guys for shipping the Jets I needed and getting them next day! Hopefully the weather will be decent next week. Would it be worth while to Change jetting on Fuel side as well? Goal is to spray 150-175.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it looks a little rich. Cut the threads off the plug so we can see the porcelain.

How much idle and driving time are on these plugs. They look old... Maybe it's just the camera.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here is my plug for reference. This was on a 150 shot LS1. This plug could use a little cleaning up but it's pretty close.

The best way is to tune it at the track using ET and MPH while keeping an eye on the plugs. Run it the 1/4 and turn the key off at the line and coast to the return road. Put as little idle time on it as possible because it'll mess with how the plugs look.

Also we need to see all the plugs and not just one to really help you.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Teching In

I totally agree. I will at the track next time. Thank you for the picture puts things in perspective. There is prob 250 miles on these plugs
Old 12-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Didn't realize they weren't fresh plugs!! No problem on the jets, we always take care of our guys. Do you have a wideband?

-Garrett
Old 12-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Put on wide band last night was about 12.0
Old 12-05-2013, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CSICKS
I totally agree. I will at the track next time. Thank you for the picture puts things in perspective. There is prob 250 miles on these plugs
You won't be able to tell a thing from a 250 mile plug. I could tell they were driven on by the pic but wanted to ask to make sure.

Buy like 4 or 5 sets of NGK BR7EF plugs and take her to the track, after each pass shut it down like I said and pull them, take pics and record which cyl is which. Record your track times with each pass and each set of plugs so you can see what the car wants. One thing I've learned is that there is no standard "awesome nitrous tune". Each motor is different.

Nitrous motors are like women, if you just start guessing what they want without doing research, you'll more than likely just **** them off and they will leave you hanging.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Teching In

On a side note. What are LS3 c6's with my mods typically running timing wise on 150-175. I run race gas when spraying and have 2 steps colder plug
Old 12-05-2013, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by armyboyatc
You won't be able to tell a thing from a 250 mile plug. I could tell they were driven on by the pic but wanted to ask to make sure.

Buy like 4 or 5 sets of NGK BR7EF plugs and take her to the track, after each pass shut it down like I said and pull them, take pics and record which cyl is which. Record your track times with each pass and each set of plugs so you can see what the car wants. One thing I've learned is that there is no standard "awesome nitrous tune". Each motor is different.

Nitrous motors are like women, if you just start guessing what they want without doing research, you'll more than likely just **** them off and they will leave you hanging.
LOL that is great advice!! Going to Log some passes next time too
Old 12-05-2013, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Put on wide band last night was about 12.0
A wideband is a great tuning tool but keep in mind that it is a cumulative average of all they cylinders and generally is only reading one side. It's good for reference but nothing will make for a better and more safe nitrous tune than looking at each individual plug, recording ET and trap speeds with each change.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any drive-ability issues going from the tr55's to Br7fe's? I'm debating whether to go from TR6 to Br7fe
Old 12-09-2013, 01:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28
Any drive-ability issues going from the tr55's to Br7fe's? I'm debating whether to go from TR6 to Br7fe
I don't know about the OP,but I have no issue's DDing my BR7's in my LS2.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

Looks like you drove on it and you shopuld not try to read a plug that was driven on. The data will be incorrect.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NitrousExpress
Didn't realize they weren't fresh plugs!! No problem on the jets, we always take care of our guys. Do you have a wideband?

-Garrett
Garret if you see brown its not fresh. No way to color the porc on a 1 run plug.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28
No, They are much quieter than the 55's added a bit of timing at idle and down low. Doesn't feel like it lost power either from what i can tell.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackbob
I don't know about the OP,but I have no issue's DDing my BR7's in my LS2.
No, They are much quieter than the 55's added a bit of timing at idle and down low. Doesn't feel like it lost power either from what i can tell.
Good to know. Thanks
Old 12-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Launching!

what??? you lost me on your last thought
Old 12-12-2013, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I always LOL when people talk about losing HP running a colder plug. I'm not sure where this myth got started but no one in here is gonna convince me that car lost more than 5fwhp by switching from a factory plug to a plug that's 1.5 stages colder.

Every good nitrous tune is based off of a GOOD motor tune. People that have issues with BR7 plugs have issues elsewhere and the plug just points that out. A BR7 is not that cold of a plug. I've been daily driving on BR7 plugs for a few years now and never had an issue fouling one out or anything like that. Clean tune = clean plugs.

Quick Reply: How do my plugs look?