Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can i run a 100shot nitrious without useing a wideband?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i run a 100shot nitrious without useing a wideband?

is a wideband necessary if i want to run a 100shot in my 2002 c5 z06?
Old 02-21-2014, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

A wideband isn't necessarily needed even with a 500 shot if you know how to read plugs and tune for it. It's more used as a tool unless your engine management can use.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

I wont need to tune if im just running a 75-100 shot, right? Just need to retard timing and buy a step colder plug?

Ok so heres the deal because I dont want to confuse anyone especially myself.
What I want to do is run a A/f ratio gauge and a fuel pressure gauge so I know im not running lean when im spraying nitrious. .do they have gauges like that where I can hook it up on my vette?..I also want a nitrious cutoff so the nitrious won't spray if im running lean
Old 02-22-2014, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

Yes you will need to tune it no matter the size shot. Factory jet charts will be close or should I say a good starting point.

If you want lean shutoff you will need a nitrous controller with that ability or a wideband that has the ability to signal a relay at a set point. Honestly the more simple the system the better for beginners. Call nitrous outlet and they can set you up.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bmeyer40
Yes you will need to tune it no matter the size shot. Factory jet charts will be close or should I say a good starting point.

If you want lean shutoff you will need a nitrous controller with that ability or a wideband that has the ability to signal a relay at a set point. Honestly the more simple the system the better for beginners. Call nitrous outlet and they can set you up.
Ok thank u and yea I would like to start off with something simple and not too much gaueges and switches..I do want a gauge thatll tell me if im running lean though
Old 02-23-2014, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by moe24
Ok thank u and yea I would like to start off with something simple and not too much gaueges and switches..I do want a gauge thatll tell me if im running lean though
I would be surprised if you ran lean if you follow the jetting chart that all of the nitrous dealers use.
And for a smallish 100 shot, 1 step colder non projected plugs like the br6 will be fine.
If your car is still on stock timing you should pull some timing, 2-4 degrees and your good to run.
Do get a window switch though.
I am assuming your car is an M6, so you want a window switch to kill the spray should you miss a shift.
It will also keep you from spraying at too low an rpm.
I recommend you drop nitrous outlet a line.
I have bought a couple of nitrous systems from the over the year's, and they are great at answering nervous 1st time nitrous user questions.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Does the AEM wideband have the ability to do what you are talking about?
Old 02-23-2014, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Does the AEM wideband have the ability to do what you are talking about?
Yes the aem failsafe unit will do what your asking if wired up properly.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not sure that's the one I have. Are there two different ones?
Old 02-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

Yes the basic and the failsafe. The failsafe says it on it. If it was my car I would not worry about a lean shutoff. Get a fuel pressure saftey switch for protection. I ran a 100 shot without either on recommend jetting. AF was 11.8 upto 6800rpm.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just checked the box and mines not the fail safe version. A lot of the nitrous controllers have that safety feature too, correct?
Old 02-23-2014, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Just checked the box and mines not the fail safe version. A lot of the nitrous controllers have that safety feature too, correct?
Yes some do. NX Maximizer 4 does I believe.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:49 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes some do. NX Maximizer 4 does I believe.
Correct. To OP- 100 shot is no problem as long as you follow base jetting. Most nitrous companies set their stuff up conservatively out of the box for safety reasons. 100 shot with cooler plugs and timing pulled, you will be fine.

-Garrett
Old 02-24-2014, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NitrousExpress
Correct. To OP- 100 shot is no problem as long as you follow base jetting. Most nitrous companies set their stuff up conservatively out of the box for safety reasons. 100 shot with cooler plugs and timing pulled, you will be fine.

-Garrett
Agreed. Cooler plug, Higher octane fuel(91 min), FPSS, windows switch, WOT, and pull some timing and you will have a good setup to spray 100 no issues.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

ok so i ordered my nitrous outlet plate system,next up is the bottle heater and purge kit.
ive been looking at the various nitrous controllers and some are way out of my price range and they seem like overkill with my little 100shot that i plan on running so ive been looking at the nos mini progressive controller because of the WOT function and the rpm window function and it also comes with a small display..

now i want a 2step/launch control and the timing retard so i guess ill go with the LNC-2000..unless anyone has some other recommendations

1.corvette z06 nitrious outlet 100shot plate system+bottle heater and purge,sparkplugs,
2. LNC-2000..
3.nos mini progressive controller

what else should i get and add to the list to run a safe 100shot?
Old 03-01-2014, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

A fuel pressure safety switch and you will be set. The nos mini isn't necessary unless you want the progressive controller that is built in it. You could always just get a basic msd window switch for $90 and a wot swith for $15.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tyler ovel
A fuel pressure safety switch and you will be set. The nos mini isn't necessary unless you want the progressive controller that is built in it. You could always just get a basic msd window switch for $90 and a wot swith for $15.
Ok yea I think im going to do that.I dont think I need the progressive controller. .

Quick Reply: can i run a 100shot nitrious without useing a wideband?