Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous plate install! NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 12:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous plate install! NEED HELP!

Those of you that have ran a plate Nitrous system or anyone else with opinions, I have some questions

1. I havent sprayed it yet, but after getting everything installed and Wired up I went WOT (no spray)
I noticed that my wideband reads about a 12.4-12.7 AFR now.. Im baffled by this because I wouldnt think that a 3/4 of an inch plate would change my AFR that much. As far as my intake, that was the only thing that was changed. I used to be a 12.8-13.0 at WOT before the install.

2. Has anyone had intake leaks with their plate? Im not entirely sure at this point if I have a leak but Thats the only thing I can think of that would change my AFR cause maybe my car is trying to compensate for a leak. When I installed the plate I would tighten each bolt little by little. I didnt want to tighten one all the way and then move on to the next for fear that I would crush the gasket or not get a good seal.

3. Since the install I have this very faint ticking sound that can only be heard at Idle from inside the cab. Pop the hood and try to listen and you cant find it. It doesnt sound like a valve or lifter tick because its much too quiet for that. Would a plate cause me to be able to hear more engine noise?

Im going to spray some carb cleaner around the TB tomorrow and see but thought id check to see if anyone has had a similar issue.

Everthing else on the install went fine and all the wiring works.. It was a major pain in the *** though.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't assume it is a leak just yet but checking certainly won't hurt. I have found the best way to check for leaks is with propane as I have seen leaks small enough they wouldn't pick up a liquid but with propane being a gas it will draw it in. One can use some clear rubber line from Lowe's or Home Depot over a propane bottle to check. Your AFR's could be varying slightly do to the longer pathway or new turbulence introduced due to more transitions within the air intake tract. .1 is not allot, if it were .3 or more I would probably be more concerned. Check for leaks. If you don't find any my money is on the added transitional area in the flow path causing slight turbulence.

I have never heard of a plate allowing one to hear more engine noise. Having said that, it is possible thst if there was a noise that was in the intake tract previously it could be slightly amplified by the aluminum of the plate. I have run Dave's plates for almost 10-years and never experienced any such issue. Try narrowing it down with an automotive stethoscope. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Big Geek; 03-08-2014 at 08:21 AM.