Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advantages of Direct Port over regular setup?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Advantages of Direct Port over regular setup?

Guys, i was wondering what the advantages/disadvantages of going with say the TNT direct port kit over say just a regular F1 or F2 wet/dry setup would be?? still kind of a nitrous noob.
brian
Old 05-22-2004, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

no fuel lying in the intake to accidentally ignite and blow the intake apart. which is a rare occurence.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:39 PM
TECH Junkie

also there is a near perfect nitrous and fuel distribution between the cylinders.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

Do you need anything special for a direct port kit besides what the kit includes? Im not talking about safety features i mean fuel pump, injectors,etc...Is a direct port more like a wet or dry kit? I would like to put a direct port setup on my 99z. Only want to run a 100 shot max until i get forged internals. I know going dry or even wet would be cheaper and less to install and tune, but i would like to trythe best setup. Dry has the problem of leaning out or possible freezing of maf, and wet has intake puddling problems, along with the intake not really being meant to have fuel run through it. Im not trying to hijack the thread im just curious as to what people think. Plus, direct port will give the most hp do to the even distribution.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:22 AM
Teching In

I dont think you can run a DP setup on only a 100 shot.
Maybe you can though?
A DP kit is a wet kit adding nitrous and fuel.
Im not an expert, so take that for what its worth, but I getting more interested
in the DP kits.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:58 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok here maybe this will help.
First off lets help you under stand when a direct port may be for you.A direct port is desighned for the guys that are spraying larger amounts of nitrous.On a large shot of nitrous like around 250 or more a direct port is the only way of makeing sure the nitrous is distributed equily to each cylinder.With a direct port you have the ability to tune each cylinder.I normaly suggest this set up for only people spraying large amounts of nitrous.Here is why.The direct port has its down falls.First its a major pain doing a jet change.There is more work to tune it i.It requires more fuel delivery.In my opinion other than the cool look it is a waste of money and time to do a direct port for a 100 hp shoot.

Now wet and dry.
No intake was desighned for fuel to flow through it.NOT EVEN CARBURATED CARS.However when you have a quality kit with a good nozzle desighn there is no reason to worry about spraying a wet single fogger nozzle.When wet systems first came out there nozzle desighn was the problem.The fuel never attomized with the nitrous correctly (it never became a particle) it was always a fuel droplet.This would cause it to drop out of the nitrous stream and puddle in the intake.Technology has came along ways from then.Lets use the shark nozzle for example.The nitrous and fuel mix from the nozzle.The nitrous will pulverize the fuel turning it into a fuel particle.Onece it mixes with the nitrous there is NO WAY that it can become a fuel droplet again and puddle in the intake.The induction from your motor will suck the nitrous anf fuel in quickly.The only way you would have a puddling issue is if you are using a bad nozzle desighn or your tune up is way rich.This works just like fog.We no there is a wet moisture there but it is not leaving puddles of water everywere.

Ok the great advantages over spraying a wet system is this.
You can spray larger amounts with out having to upgrade injectors or changing your tune up.You are machanically adding the needed fuel with a fuel solenoid.I also feel that wet kits make more torque.
The disadvatage is you have another solenoid to check maintenace on.YOU SHOULD ALWAY MAINTENACE YOUR NITROUS SYSTEM.It is machanical,things break.

Ok Dry,
A dry system is great for the guy looking for a small hp gain with out doing any changes.This would be a good way to go if you are looking to hide it.OR only looking to spray around 100 to 125 hp. With a dry system you are relying on the fuel injectors to add the extra needed fuel.Now with fuel injector and fuel pump up grades you can spray just as much as a wet system.You will also require some special tunning.With this set up you can make just as much hp as a wet kit but it requires a little more knowledge in order to do it.

Now what this means is this.If you are looking at spraying around a 100 hp a dry kit or wet kit will work just fine for you.If you are looking to spray 150-175 with no fuel injector upgrade or tunning a wet system will work better for you.If you have injectors and have the capability to dyno tune a dry will work also.Same goes for 200-250 accept for you may need some tuning for the wet system also.If you are starting to spray more than that then it would be time to start looking into a direct port.
Now I know guys spraying 400 on a single nozzle with no problems.There are classes where they have no choice but to run this way.

ALL THIS INFO IS MOSTLEY GFOR STOCK OR BOLT ON CARS.When you have built motors or custom tuning everything changes.You will more than likely need to check your tune.

OK GUYS,I know there is bad spelling and I probley worded some things wrong so dont be to hard on me.I do not use spell check.What you see is what you get.I CAN NOT SPELL. LOL. Im pressed for time this morning.
Thanks
Dave
Old 10-29-2004, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Great Info Dave,
This is what I have been lookin for.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:16 PM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

Better NOS and fuel distribution.

Quick Reply: Advantages of Direct Port over regular setup?