Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G8 nitrous or cam!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G8 nitrous or cam!!

We'll I'm torn between what I should do. I just got a g8 and I sold my 02 camaro ss that was turbo charged and this thing feels extremely slow lol. I got it cause I have a daughter that is three and my wife like going out with me on the weekends and the camaro didn't have back seats or air so it just sat in the garage. Now unlike the camaro this car is my daily driver. It has 38,500 on it it's an 09 gt I just put long tubes and exhaust no cats and haven't got it tuned cause not sure what to do next. I was thinking of trying nitrous. I have never had it on any car and this it would give me the drivability of a stock car but have the power when I wanted it. On the other hand I could get a cam but I feel like I would get worse fuel mileage and it would only gain me about 35 whp. I know what I need to do a cam swap just not sure for what I need for nitrous. Ie do I need a pump for a 100-150 shot. I liked the nitrous outlet kit for the g8 that you can put the fuel rail cover on. Just wanted to see what your guys thoughts are.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:39 PM
10 Second Club

Sounds like you're on the right track. Nitrous Outlet and Nitrous Express have some great stuff. A plate kit would be best in my opinion. A set of BR7 plugs and a tune. (Pull around 6-7* for 150) Your stock fuel pump would be fine with that setup.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:47 PM
Teching In

Now a buddy was telling me not to use a wot switch he has nitrous on a 1500 with a lq9 and he said he switched to a momentary switch cause it would blow the tires off in first gear. I really don't want a momentary switch is there some kind of windows switch that won't let it spray until I'm in second?Also what should I do about pulling timing. Should I do a tune that pulls 7* all the time. What are the options for that?
Old 11-17-2014, 07:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by callen11
Now a buddy was telling me not to use a wot switch he has nitrous on a 1500 with a lq9 and he said he switched to a momentary switch cause it would blow the tires off in first gear. I really don't want a momentary switch is there some kind of windows switch that won't let it spray until I'm in second?Also what should I do about pulling timing. Should I do a tune that pulls 7* all the time. What are the options for that?
To pull timing while running max power normally

There are plenty tools to use with the WOT switch to lockout first gear... just do a search
Old 11-18-2014, 03:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both .
Old 11-18-2014, 03:38 AM
On The Tree

Do the cam first or both later. I'd do the DOD delete to get it out of the way. If you go nitrous the gains will be worth it, but the DOD could fail at any time. In that case you'll be doing a cam regardless. You'll probably want to do a torque converter too.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:13 AM
Teching In

I have a window switch from Nitrous Outlet that is a few years old. It has gear lock out, so it won't spray till the gear you want. The ws monitors the rpm and assumes each time you hit the programmed rpm, that you shift to the next gear. Can be fooled though if you have tire spin and need to lift, but you didn't actually shift to another gear. I run the progressive feature on it though and not the gear lockout, better option imo.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:35 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nitrous would definitely yield the most gain, and it would keep the stock gas mileage and drivability. There is a couple different ways to setup a first gear lockout, or put it on a button. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

-Garrett
Old 11-18-2014, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fullen
Do the cam first or both later. I'd do the DOD delete to get it out of the way. If you go nitrous the gains will be worth it, but the DOD could fail at any time. In that case you'll be doing a cam regardless. You'll probably want to do a torque converter too.
Is that common a dod or afm failure? Excuse my ignorance but this l76 has a little more going on than a ls1. Also what happens when it fails?
Old 11-19-2014, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

if youre just looking for a little extra juice i think its safe to say that youll be perfectly fine with a plate kit sprayin a 125 shot
Old 11-19-2014, 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would do the cam first if you plan on keeping the car for any amount of time. Because then you can always do the spray later.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

cam wouldnt be a terrible idea. you can definitely pick up a mild cam but that requires a lot more work. its really dependent on your budget
Old 11-21-2014, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

we sprayed by buddies G8 with a 125 shot and full exhaust/cold air intake it went 11.7X all day. Now it's cammed and stalled with the same shot.

I would do a cam first though. Those AFM lifters SUCK. Always replacing them here at the dealer. It'll gain more than 35rwhp too.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:08 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Originally Posted by slvr T/A
we sprayed by buddies G8 with a 125 shot and full exhaust/cold air intake it went 11.7X all day. Now it's cammed and stalled with the same shot.

I would do a cam first though. Those AFM lifters SUCK. Always replacing them here at the dealer. It'll gain more than 35rwhp too.
Agreed. One of our employees has a g8, and he has had trouble with the factory lifters in the past.

-Garrett
Old 11-23-2014, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slvr T/A

That's impressive time 11.7s has he ran it with the cam? I guess everyone here has talked me into cam first. Il do the DOD delete as well. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

That's impressive time 11.7s has he ran it with the cam? I guess everyone here has talked me into cam first. Il do the DOD delete as well. Thanks for everyone's input.
It ran the same time with the cam and stall as it did with the stock cam/converter and 125 shot (in the 1/8 mile). Haven't taken it to the 1/4 yet since the cam and converter.

It went 11.7 with just full exhaust cold air intake and the spray. And tune of course

Quick Reply: G8 nitrous or cam!!