Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at nx proton kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking at nx proton kit

Like title says I'm wanting to run a nitrous kit on a turbo application. Years ago I had a sniper wet kit on a procharged car that worked great. For simplicity I ended up just spraying the kit dry and it worked out great adjusting the tune to compensate the fuel. My question is if I buy the proton kit can I spray dry like I did with the sniper? I do want a wet kit just in case. Also is there any exploited view of the nx nitrous proton noid box? I'd like to see what I'm buying just to see how it works.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:15 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely. You can run that system as dry. We also have a dry system for around the same price that includes the upgraded lightning solenoid. The proton box basically just houses the 2 solenoids inside.

Here is a link to that dry system, let me know if you need forum pricing on these items.

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/21000-...lb-bottle.html

Thanks,
Garrett
Old 03-04-2015, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the proton kit, just installed it. It makes for a clean install. The solenoid to nozzle lines are a little long, as its a universal, but i have some 8 inch lines on order, should be here today. The car will be going on the dyno monday to get tuned and see how it performs.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:13 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Nice install and once you get the 8in lines you'll be golden. Looking forward to seeing your results.

-Chris
Old 03-04-2015, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NitrousExpress
Absolutely. You can run that system as dry. We also have a dry system for around the same price that includes the upgraded lightning solenoid. The proton box basically just houses the 2 solenoids inside.

Here is a link to that dry system, let me know if you need forum pricing on these items.

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/21000-...lb-bottle.html

Thanks,
Garrett
Couple more questions. If a solenoid goes bad is it something I can service myself like traditional noids or would I have to send it in to you guys? Do you'll sell replacement solenoids for the proton unit? And are they e85 compatible? Also thanks for the link to the dry but I'm going to stick with wet. Only want to run 50hp for spooling the turbo. Thanks again.

I really like the longer lines.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:09 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Originally Posted by 20psiofevil
Couple more questions. If a solenoid goes bad is it something I can service myself like traditional noids or would I have to send it in to you guys? Do you'll sell replacement solenoids for the proton unit? And are they e85 compatible? Also thanks for the link to the dry but I'm going to stick with wet. Only want to run 50hp for spooling the turbo. Thanks again.

I really like the longer lines.
Normally people send them in to us for maintenance. We do offer the solenoids to replace yourselves if you wanted to go that route. They are e85 compatible as well!

Thanks,
Garrett
Old 03-08-2015, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Ordered the 20420-10 kit from summit racing. Had a $100 gift card and $25 off coupon I come out like a champ lol. Even ordered a new fire jacket!! My previous fire jacket was a green welding jacket I got free from my work haha.

Think I'm going to push the boost to 14psi and spray the track. 50hp worked great on my procharged setup. 35 hit harder but was barely noticeable in et gains. This new motor is built much stronger so I may push the 75hp to it. My goal is to run this setup into the low 6's maybe high 5's and my best so far is 6.85 so the 50hp may put me in the range I want to be.

Was going to order a transbrake but for the amount of racing I do the nitrous was the better route. My injectors are on the small side for e85 so the wet kit will allow me to keep af's in check. Also my intercooler is on the small side and that was another factor in choosing nitrous over transbrake.

Thanks for all the tech guys!
Old 03-09-2015, 09:17 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Definitely sounds like you made out like a bandit! Also keep us in the loop with the setup and how it goes. If you need anything don't hesitate to give us a shout.

-Chris
Old 03-09-2015, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Finally got my car on the dyno today for the cam and nitrous tune. The proton kit hit like a champ. Made exactly 150 hp, and 238 tq on the 150 jets Thanks NX!
Old 03-09-2015, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 69gto96z
Finally got my car on the dyno today for the cam and nitrous tune. The proton kit hit like a champ. Made exactly 150 hp, and 238 tq on the 150 jets Thanks NX!
Awesome! How was the af with the nx jets? Are they jetted on the rich side?

Right now my base fuel pressure is set to 48psi and add 14psi for 1:1 rise will give me 62psi on the rail. I think it's going to be a bitch to tune for. Any advice on this? This is part of the reason I wanted the option to spray dry.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome! How was the af with the nx jets? Are they jetted on the rich side?

Right now my base fuel pressure is set to 48psi and add 14psi for 1:1 rise will give me 62psi on the rail. I think it's going to be a bitch to tune for. Any advice on this? This is part of the reason I wanted the option to spray dry.
Im not sure what the af was, my tuner told me it looked great, but thats all i know. Hopefully NX can chime in with some info for you, because i do not know. I do believe they are jetted a tad rich however.

Last edited by 69gto96z; 03-10-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:21 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

We are on the conservative side out of the box. If you are running nitrous with boost, just make sure you boost reference your fuel pressure for the nitrous system and jet it for your base fuel pressure, 48 psi, and you'll be ready to rock. Normally you want to shoot for at least a point richer than what you are running WOT on motor, when tuning the nitrous system, this varies a little bit with each application and the tuner's preferences.

Thanks,
Garrett
Old 03-12-2015, 07:16 PM
Staging Lane

Got the kit the other day. Very simple kit they have put together. Only complaints I have is I received a free n2o psi gauge from summit racing and there was no way to hook it up without buying an adapter. The other thing I was not expecting was both noids are wired in together so if I choose to spray it dru I'm going to have to cap off the fuel at the rail. But otherwise great package. Seems it has more length feed line than my previous sniper kit. Thanks again for the tech.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got the kit the other day. Very simple kit they have put together. Only complaints I have is I received a free n2o psi gauge from summit racing and there was no way to hook it up without buying an adapter. The other thing I was not expecting was both noids are wired in together so if I choose to spray it dru I'm going to have to cap off the fuel at the rail. But otherwise great package. Seems it has more length feed line than my previous sniper kit. Thanks again for the tech.
The bottle has 2 1/8 npt ports on it for a gauge. I shortened my ground wires slightly. If you cut them back a half inch or so, you will expose the seperate wires, if i remember right.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 69gto96z
The bottle has 2 1/8 npt ports on it for a gauge. I shortened my ground wires slightly. If you cut them back a half inch or so, you will expose the seperate wires, if i remember right.
My bottle doesn't have any 1/8th npt ports. Maybe different valve perhaps? My wires are just like you said. In the red sleeve there are a blue and black wire and in the black sleeve it is the same, one blue and one black. Do both the wires in the red sleeve hook up to a hot wire? They are different gauge wiring, same for the black sleeve.

I think I threw my instructions away lol.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

My bottle doesn't have any 1/8th npt ports. Maybe different valve perhaps? My wires are just like you said. In the red sleeve there are a blue and black wire and in the black sleeve it is the same, one blue and one black. Do both the wires in the red sleeve hook up to a hot wire? They are different gauge wiring, same for the black sleeve.

I think I threw my instructions away lol.
Yes both wires in the red sleeve go to hot. Did your bottle not come with the high flow, black valve?

Here is a pic of my bottle that came with the kit next to a spare 25 lber i have

Old 03-17-2015, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks. No it's the basic chrome valve. I ordered an adapter for it.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:49 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

The regular Proton (20420-10) comes with a standard nitrous valve, and the Proton Plus (20421-10) comes with our Lightning high flow bottle valve.

Thanks,
Garrett
Old 03-18-2015, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NitrousExpress
The regular Proton (20420-10) comes with a standard nitrous valve, and the Proton Plus (20421-10) comes with our Lightning high flow bottle valve.

Thanks,
Garrett
I tried to find the proton plus but could only find 5lb bottle on summit.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:42 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Ah. You could definitely pull it up on our website. Summit stocks it if you call them to order it. If you need forum pricing on it send em a PM.

Thanks,
Garrett

Quick Reply: Looking at nx proton kit