Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bottle back seat is it safe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bottle back seat is it safe?

Is it safe to have the Nitrous bottle in the back seat? Is there any dangers of having the nitrous bottle in the back seat besides the trunk? Leaking bottle ect.... The gto is a DD
Old 04-25-2015, 06:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

With a blow down tube I think its NHRA legal when mounted properly.

Doubt Mr.Officer would think so though.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:40 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can have the bottle in the backseat area without a problem. Cops shouldn't give you **** about it. I've run a bottle on the hump of an F-body and have gotten pulled over numerous times with nothing said. I would suggest if running it in the cab of the vehicle to put an NHRA Blow off cap on it with the blow down tube so that away the nitrous can vent outside the car if it gets to hot and pops that disc.

-Chris
Old 04-27-2015, 06:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NitrousExpress
Cops shouldn't give you **** about it. I've run a bottle on the hump of an F-body and have gotten pulled over numerous times with nothing said..
-Chris
I guess it depends on where you live ?
Old 04-28-2015, 08:54 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

It just might, especially in the Cali area. But in all honesty I haven't really hurd of police bothering to many people in other states but then again there is always that one dick head cop that's out for justice no matter what!!

-Chris
Old 04-28-2015, 04:07 PM
10 Second Club

Ocean City Summer Cruise (Maryland), buddy had a bottle in the trunk....turned off even. Local LEO pulled him over for a tail light and asked to search the car ???? Opens trunk and writes a ticket for the bottle and no placards (only a 10#'er at that).

Here you go....and I need a sticker

§22–404.5. Power booster systems prohibited; exceptions.

(a) In this section, “power booster system” means any device installed in a motor vehicle which allows liquid nitrous oxide to combine with gasoline for the purpose of increasing engine power.
(b) Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, a person may not operate on a highway a motor vehicle equipped with a power booster system.
(c) A person may operate on a highway a motor vehicle equipped with a power booster if:
(1) The vehicle is enroute to or from a track where the vehicle is used for racing and the power booster system is inoperative; or
(2) The container of nitrous oxide has been removed from the vehicle.
(d) Every motor vehicle equipped with a power booster system shall be identified with a decal that:
(1) Is a diamond shaped design consisting of the words “Compressed Gas D.O.T. No. 1070” in silver scotchlite letters 1 inch high on a black background with a silver scotchlite border;
(2) Is issued by the Office of the Fire Marshal or from a nitrous oxide industry source; and
(3) Is attached to the left front and right rear bumper of the vehicle.
(e) The Office of the Fire Marshal may adopt regulations necessary to carry out the provisions of this section.
(f) The Office of the Fire Marshal or nitrous oxide industry source that issues the vehicle identification decal may charge a fee for the issuance of a vehicle identification decal not to exceed the reasonable cost of preparation and distribution.

Last edited by Doug G; 04-28-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:17 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Dang!!! They just be scared...lol

PM me your address

-Chris
Old 04-28-2015, 05:10 PM
10 Second Club

Thank you :beers:
You get out this way, I'll have to buy you a real one

And the funny thing is.... IF I someone in my car on oxygen....Nothing would be said
Old 05-11-2015, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put mine I back passenger seat.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:19 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Currently in the process of adding a kit to my new daily 6speed formula and I'm going to mount twin bottles on the hump in the back. So we'll see what happens with the cops here shortly Doug G.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug G
Ocean City Summer Cruise (Maryland), buddy had a bottle in the trunk....turned off even. Local LEO pulled him over for a tail light and asked to search the car ???? Opens trunk and writes a ticket for the bottle and no placards (only a 10#'er at that).

Here you go....and I need a sticker
Next time a cop pulls you over and asks to search your car tell him "no".
Old 06-07-2015, 11:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dannyz
This. Ask what his probable cause is for the search. Or if he has reasonable suspicion. That will eliminate 90% of hassles. If he is persistent, be polite and and go with it.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:43 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

I've done this many times!!

-Chris
Old 06-08-2015, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NitrousExpress
I've done this many times!!

-Chris
Same. The one time I consented to a search they ripped apart my car and left me on the side of the highway with my backseats and carpeting outside the car
Old 06-09-2015, 10:11 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

That sux to hear they left you like that. No respect!

-Chris
Old 06-09-2015, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by JDEP162
This. Ask what his probable cause is for the search. Or if he has reasonable suspicion. That will eliminate 90% of hassles. If he is persistent, be polite and and go with it.
I see where your coming from, but wanting to be cooperative will get you nothing good.
If he is looking for something, and finds it, he will not cut you some slack because your being cool with him.
Tell him that you have the utmost respect for him, but you are not going to consent to a search.
Period.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:44 AM
TECH Addict

I see where your coming from, but wanting to be cooperative will get you nothing good.
If he is looking for something, and finds it, he will not cut you some slack because your being cool with him.
Tell him that you have the utmost respect for him, but you are not going to consent to a search.
Period.
Exactly. Instead suggest that you can open the trunk and move things around for him to see, but never consent to a search. Youre basically giving him permission to rip your car apart. Court wont hold him responsible for any damage after that point.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

FWIW, DOT aka "big brother" requires nitrous bottles to have inspection stickers for safety if you transport a bottle in your car. Same goes for carrying paintball cans, oxygen tanks, acetylene, etc. or anything else that can explode under certain conditions.

Believe it or not, they don't actually care about YOUR safety. They do care if your dumbass has a 15 year old bottle that's been torched, but only AFTER it explodes leaving a nasty accident involving a clean up crew. I'll repeat that, your govt doesn't care about you, only the news headline that will follow an injury caused by you.

Disclaimer for the smartasses: Yes I'm very aware of how many people transport non-DOT inspected paintball cans. I'm also very aware of how many robberies and murders happen each day without police intervention, so take it up with YOUR DISTRICT ATTORNEY as my local authorities have confirmed they don't give a damn what I think.

Get your bottle inspected and pay the small fee for the DOT sticker. It is cheaper than a ticket and much cheaper than an injury.

Quick Reply: bottle back seat is it safe?