Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need som wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 08:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need som wiring help

I'm thinking that I have the wrong purge button or something. Let me explain with what I know so far.

The kit is a brand x wet kit with a nitrous outlet progressive controller. It's been wired and used over the last 4 years without a problem. I've finally added a purge to the system, all I did was pull power from the arming switch to the purge button and from there it goes straight to the solenoid. The other solenoid wire is run to chassis ground at the same location that my fuel and nitrous soleniods are. But here's the problem, with everything hooked up the system is fine until I push the purge button. As soon as I do it grounds and kills the entire system. No power to the controller or anything. It did try to purge but shorted out and blew a fuse on the car.

So I jumped a known hot wire to the arming switch. When I did that the controller came back on so I started checking all other components. Solenoid driver, fuel and nitrous soleniods, FPSS, everything came back online had power where it should and ground where it should. Push the purge and everything goes to ground, the whole system loses juice.

The system has 2 fuses, one between the battery and solenoid drive and one on the power to the arming switch. Neither of those fuses are blown. I must have made a mistake and wired the power for the switch into something with a smaller fuse. I believe it's the radio controls on the steering wheel. I'll get that resolved though.

My best guess is that the purge button itself is the problem. It almost acts like the button keeps the circuit closed until it's pushed then it opens the circuit. I thought a momentary switch was a momentary switch and they were all push to close. The way it's acting that's not the case.

Am I on the right path here or do I need to be looking at something else?
Old 05-24-2015, 07:30 PM
10 Second Club

So I did some more testing and it appears the switch is fine. So I moved on to the purge itself. Apparently when the purge solenoid ground is hooked up the solenoid itself becomes a ground. What is going on here? Is the solenoid junk? I even tried running jumper wires from the battery and the solenoid will not click. It just closes the circuit. Does anyone have a clue here?
Old 05-26-2015, 08:51 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1320Chicken
So I did some more testing and it appears the switch is fine. So I moved on to the purge itself. Apparently when the purge solenoid ground is hooked up the solenoid itself becomes a ground. What is going on here? Is the solenoid junk? I even tried running jumper wires from the battery and the solenoid will not click. It just closes the circuit. Does anyone have a clue here?
I bet the solenoid magnet is burned up. If you want to send it in to me we would be happy to take a look at it and figure out exactly what the problem is.

Thanks,
Garrett
Old 05-26-2015, 10:20 AM
FormerVendor

What purge solenoid are you running?

Quick Reply: I need som wiring help