Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decent/Inexpensive Solenoid?

Old 05-31-2015, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decent/Inexpensive Solenoid?

Hi folks!

I just did a nitrous install on my bike the other day and prior to the install the dealer warned me about low nitrous flow rates and solenoid heat. He felt that with only between 10-15 HP jetting the solenoid would get hot and melt the coil.

We did a full day of runs during testing with no issues and the solenoid was not hot. We mounted it in front of the rad, directly in the airstream to ensure it was as cool as possible. All was well.

Got my bottles filled the other day and decided to try a nitrous shot - nothing. Turned out to be a blown fuse. Long story short, it looks like the solenoid is shot.

Does anyone know of a decent solenoid for a decent price that should alleviate this issue?
Old 05-31-2015, 10:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Give Nitrous Outlet a call, they will get you taken care of.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:29 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dick Balsock
Hi folks!

I just did a nitrous install on my bike the other day and prior to the install the dealer warned me about low nitrous flow rates and solenoid heat. He felt that with only between 10-15 HP jetting the solenoid would get hot and melt the coil.

We did a full day of runs during testing with no issues and the solenoid was not hot. We mounted it in front of the rad, directly in the airstream to ensure it was as cool as possible. All was well.

Got my bottles filled the other day and decided to try a nitrous shot - nothing. Turned out to be a blown fuse. Long story short, it looks like the solenoid is shot.

Does anyone know of a decent solenoid for a decent price that should alleviate this issue?
Activating the solenoids for more than about ~20 seconds will get them really hot and could possibly burn them up. That magnet inside is a coil, so if you get it to hot the coating will melt on the bound wire and it becomes a huge "chunk" of metal at that point basically, and at that point the solenoid won't work anymore, and everytime you try to activate it, it will pop a fuse.

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/mainli...8-orifice.html

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks,
Garrett
Old 06-01-2015, 05:13 PM
Teching In

I was warned about that by the supplier and to that end I packed the 'noid's coil in thermal paste to help it dissipate the heat to the body. I also mounted the solenoid directly in the airstream so that it always gets cool air flowing over it at speed. Unfortunately, this didn't seem to work.

The supplier said the effects on the coil are cumulative. I'm wondering now if using a lower draw solenoid may help with less heat generation. The one I'm looking it draws 6.3 amps;

https://www.holley.com/products/nitr...parts/18015NOS

I hope this doesn't turn out to be a recurring issue. The supplier said because the nitrous shots were small there was less heat transfer from the 'noid to the NOS. Made sense to me other then that because the jet is in the throttle body (far away from the 'noid) I thought that there would be liquid in the 'noid at all times.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:28 PM
FormerVendor

It sounds like you may have a wiring issue. How long are you firing the solenoid?
Old 06-02-2015, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AJatNitrousOutlet
It sounds like you may have a wiring issue. How long are you firing the solenoid?
The solenoid is being fired by a relay that's grounded (activated) by an output from our custom ECU.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Decent/Inexpensive Solenoid?