Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to keep bottle from getting too hot when left in car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any way to keep bottle from getting too hot when left in car?

Title pretty much says it... Did it when I first got my nitrous set up because I didn't know better and in just a few hours in the south Fl heat the bottle over heated and popped the relief valve and that was a waste of a $30 dollar bottle fill. How can I keep this from happening? Kind of lame that I can only have the nitrous with me during the day when the sun is out if I know beforehand that I'm going to want/need it... And meanwhile I'm stuck all motor if a spontaneous mexican race happens to go down. Would like to be able to have the bottle in the car more often so I can always have the spray on tap if I ever run into a spontaneous race or just want to use it by myself to have some fun... Is there anything I can do? Would a bottle blanket do anything? Or is this just an unavoidable downside to using nitrous as my power adder vs boost?
Old 12-14-2015, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I've never had this happen like you're describing...even in 100 degree temps. How high is the pressure reaching?
Old 12-14-2015, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I've never had this happen like you're describing...even in 100 degree temps. How high is the pressure reaching?
I don't know how high it gets. Parked the car at work with a freshly filled bottle in the trunk, went back out in a few hours and bottle was empty. Talked to a CTS-V owner and he said it has happened to him too and that it was normal cause inside car temps get much hotter than the already hot outside air temps. I took his word for it. It's actually happened twice to me. Took it to school one day just to see if it would do it again and when I went back out, once again empty bottle. Is this not a normal thing? I didn't make much sense to me cause a bottle heater gets extremely hot to heat the bottle, probably much hotter than the air temperature inside the trunk so I figure it shouldn't be getting so hot that it has to pop the relief just from sitting inside a car at 100+ degrees.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

So both times it happened you just had the bottle filled? If so that would help explain it since the pressure is very high right after its filled
Old 12-14-2015, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
So both times it happened you just had the bottle filled? If so that would help explain it since the pressure is very high right after its filled
Well it was filled the night before both times. Put the bottle in the car the next morning before heading out to start my day. And the bottle was frozen before being filled so the pressure wasn't very high right after the fill either.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those burst discs don't rupture until 2500-3000psi.

You're bottle is a ticking time bomb at those pressures. In the trunk of the car, heat of the day you can easily get to 150* or hotter, that's enough heat to raise the pressure to those limits. 105* will have pressure over 1200psi.

Stop leaving the bottle in the car immediately. You are playing with fire. If the bottle ruptures it wil destroy the car and likely kill or severly injure anyone in or around
Old 12-15-2015, 05:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ATwelveSec02Z28
Those burst discs don't rupture until 2500-3000psi.

You're bottle is a ticking time bomb at those pressures. In the trunk of the car, heat of the day you can easily get to 150* or hotter, that's enough heat to raise the pressure to those limits. 105* will have pressure over 1200psi.

Stop leaving the bottle in the car immediately. You are playing with fire. If the bottle ruptures it wil destroy the car and likely kill or severly injure anyone in or around
Yeah I get that. I figured it was implied that this is not something that I do all the time. You didn't answer my question though, theres no way to keep the bottle cool in there?
Old 12-15-2015, 07:46 AM
TECH Resident

Leave the car running with the AC on...

Drill a hole through the trunk floor and fill it with ice....
Old 12-15-2015, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

Don't freeze the bottle in the summer to squeeze more in there. That's why the pressure is getting so high. If you have a blowdown tube I wouldn't worry about a bottle explosion. Just if you get over 1200 the noid wont open.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by redgto4u
Don't freeze the bottle in the summer to squeeze more in there. That's why the pressure is getting so high. If you have a blowdown tube I wouldn't worry about a bottle explosion. Just if you get over 1200 the noid wont open.
I am sorry but that is wrong and bad info that could lead to someone getting hurt...

All freezing the bottle does is allow a thermal transfer when filling. Anyone over filling a bottle should not be filling bottles - they are filled by weight, it is not safe to put 11lbs of nitrous in a 10lb bottle. No matter the amount of nitrous in a bottle, temperature = pressure

A blowdown tube simply allows the the nitrous that is vented when the rupture disk fails to vent to the outside of the vehicle. Most nitrous bottles are rated with a MAWP of 1800psi, the rupture disk is typically 2500 +/- psi. These bottles are aluminum - they expand, and will eventually fatigue and rupture. That blowdown tube will do nothing in the event of a bottle failure.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ATwelveSec02Z28
Leave the car running with the AC on...

Drill a hole through the trunk floor and fill it with ice....
Well I can't just leave the car running unattended for hours at a time. I'm not sure what you mean by drilling a hole and filling it with ice? Bottle blankets are advertised to help keep cool bottles cool and keep warm bottles warm. Would it help me out at all? I figure I could use a towel and just keep a bag of ice over the bottle in the trunk. But that would get a little tedious... I simply want to have my nitrous ready to go more often... If I can't have the power on tap at least 75% of the time I'm driving my car then I may as well start saving for a boost set up that I can actually use and enjoy more often on the street.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:46 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best thing to do is park under a tree or in the shade during the hot summer months. Another option if you can is to take the bottle out and bring it inside with you at work. That's what I've always done down here in Texas where it gets hot hot hot and haven't had an issue!!

-Chris
Old 12-15-2015, 10:49 AM
FormerVendor

We battle the heat pretty frequently, and the best thing I can tell you is to take your bottle of the car if you're going to be parked all day in a hot parking lot.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
Well I can't just leave the car running unattended for hours at a time. I'm not sure what you mean by drilling a hole and filling it with ice? Bottle blankets are advertised to help keep cool bottles cool and keep warm bottles warm. Would it help me out at all? I figure I could use a towel and just keep a bag of ice over the bottle in the trunk. But that would get a little tedious... I simply want to have my nitrous ready to go more often... If I can't have the power on tap at least 75% of the time I'm driving my car then I may as well start saving for a boost set up that I can actually use and enjoy more often on the street.
I actually meant, drill several holes in your trunk floor.... Fill the entire trunk with ice (atleast 100lbs or so) the holes will let the melted ice drain.

Youre looking at serious heat. a bottle blanket is not going to help one bit.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for all the responses guys. I guess the best thing to do is remove and re-install the bottle as needed when parking the car for extended periods of time.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
Thanks for all the responses guys. I guess the best thing to do is remove and re-install the bottle as needed when parking the car for extended periods of time.
That is your best bet.....

Use a good bracket, and quick connect adapters so pulling the bottle will not be a hassle
Old 12-15-2015, 10:16 PM
9 Second Club

Only takes about a minute or 2 to remove the bottles. I'm in Florida also and it does get very hot inside the trunk. My brackets use what looks like a t handle and comes apart very easy, and i have 2 bottles back there.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:43 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea the little T handle ones aren't hard to mess with at all. I used those style of brackets for years.

-Chris
Old 12-16-2015, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

Since it seems that taking the bottle out throughout the course of the day is pretty much you only option.... Look in to using some of these products to make life simple. I use similar products and swap bottles in less than a minute... no exageration, I can remove, and replace a 15lb bottle in under 60 seconds..

This type of Bottle Bracket is the easiest....

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/11108-...b-bottles.html
or
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/nitrous...ndle-1947.html

And use this adapter and bottle nut....
http://www.rjracecars.com/Quick-Tric...-Prodview.html
http://www.rjracecars.com/Quick-Tric...-Prodview.html

I posted links to site sponsors, I cant find the Quick-Trick couplers on their sites, but it is by far the best purchase I have made - 100% leak free, and never use a tool to change bottles.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:48 PM
FormerVendor

If you're using our bottles, you'll want to use this quick disconnect:

http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/nitrous...nd-socket.html

And for ease of use I'd recommend using this bracket:

http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/nitrous...le-single.html

Quick Reply: Any way to keep bottle from getting too hot when left in car?