Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock fuel pump question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock fuel pump question?

I'm sure this has been covered before but how much nitrous (rear wheel horsepower) can the stock system handle with a MSD Boost-A-Pump? Here is our situation:

We have a 2004 bolt-on C5 with a Nitrous Outlet wet system. NA it makes 372 to the rear wheels. The last time I had it tuned with the nitrous the tuner had trouble with the 150 jets. Even with the BAP, and no matter how much fuel he threw at it with jets (the fuel jets were crazy high according to NO's web site) the AFR was still dangerously lean. We have a NANO system and went by those jet recommendations but he could never get it safe. I'm surprised we didn't hurt anything that day. We backed the nitrous jets down to a 100 shot and he put a nitrous tune in the computer adding more fuel through the rails. Ended up making 502 to the wheels with 100 jets (fuel jets were still off the chart although I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head) but he said the AFR was ok although still not perfect.

Fast forward to now ... we are going to change the cam (Tick SNS Stage 3 Torquemax with necessary springs, etc.) and try the 150 jets again so I contacted another tuner about trying their hand at it. He told me the stock pump, lines and BAP won't handle what we're doing. I'm thinking with the cam we'll only be around 400 rwhp and with 150 jets we'll still be less than 600, Is that within what the safe limits of what the OEM system can handle (with the BAP) or do I need a stand alone?

Thoughts?

Scott
Old 01-21-2016, 03:03 PM
Teching In

A standalone is probably your best bet. Although a replacement in tank performance fuel pump with the hot wire kit would work. But changing the pump on an 04 is quite involved compared to the 97-mid03.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:43 PM
FormerVendor

If you're fuel jetting is drastically different than recommended, then you're probably out of pump. Normally, the stock fuel pump is good for ~150HP over stock- and the boost-a-pump will give it about 20% more capacity under normal circumstances. You should check into a dedicated fuel system, or a different pump in the tank. Using a dedicated will allow you to run race gas with the nitrous which will help give you some extra safety from detonation, and you'd also get a little better performance out of the system. But upgrading the pump in the tank has advantages, also. If you do any other upgrades to the car you'll have the fuel pump to support it. For an in-tank pump check out Lingenfelter- they have some nice pumps available for the C5. For a dedicated fuel system, check out ours! It's E85 capable and comes with a Deatschwerks DW200 pump, Aeromotive Regulator that's capable if high or low fuel pressure, and all fittings necessary aside from the inlet fitting on the solenoid.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you guys for the help. Given that we have an '04 and have already have had the cradle out once to change the gear and converter probably makes more sense for several reasons to go with a stand alone.

AJ,

I see from the pictures on your web site that your fuel cell goes in front of the radiator. Will that still fit with our Vararam?

Thanks.

Scott
Old 01-22-2016, 09:53 AM
FormerVendor

Yes sir, it should fit-

Quick Reply: stock fuel pump question?