Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best solenoids?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 12:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default best solenoids?

I'm always tossing the idea of Nitrous around and I would like to know what company people feel makes the best solenoids? The way I understand it everything else is just parts but the key to a good system is getting REALLY GOOD solenoids.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:54 PM
11 Second Club

NX's Iceman solenoids are all I use any more.
Had several NOS solenoids stick open, and had a bad experience with a Nitrous Works fuel solenoid sticking shut...
Old 06-16-2004, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nx and TNT noids are made by the same manufacture.

the large nx ones are all i reccomend

Ryan
Old 06-16-2004, 02:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can not beat the desighn on the NX solinoids.
Dave
Old 06-16-2004, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

NX also give a lifetime warranty on the noids, and come with a filter already in them, not about tnt.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:41 PM
TECH Veteran

SUPER SHARK vs. ICEMAN? why is one $276 and the other $128?
Old 06-16-2004, 05:07 PM
Banned

Im a dealer for nos,nx and several others....over the years ive had no new NOS solenoids fail, ive had a couple NX Fuel solenoids stick closed and almost take out motors...and recently a brand new TNT kit the nitrous solenoid would stick closed under pressure, i had to cycle it a ton before it would sticking closed under pressure...

So apples to apples!
Old 06-16-2004, 05:22 PM
TECH Veteran

in other words they all have problem units......just depends on if you get that unit
Old 06-16-2004, 11:13 PM
TECH Junkie

I would never use an NOS solenoid. My buddy Ernie has lost 2 motors due to the nitrous solenoids sticking open. NOS was AWESOME about helping him out with replacing his first short-block (They bought him new pistons and paid for his machine work, then gave him a $3,000 credit for any NOS product(s)). A few uses into his second motor another NOS nitrous solenoid stuck open and blew up his second motor.

Needless to say he's going to be switching to NX now.

Oh yeah, these weren't LS1 motors, these were $20,000 18* Headed SBC Motors in a Green Mustang Coupe.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Dude don't you have some other stuff to do before you get nitrous
Old 06-18-2004, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

All they companies out there have had some problems at one time or another. I used 8 different companies products over the last 10 years. i will list good and bad things for each solenoid.
Things to look for in a good nitrous solenoids. Teflon pistons, Some type of filter, large orifice size, epoxy coil, stainless steel body large wire leads.
Things to look for in a bad solenoid. Black rubber psiton (swells over time) and tears, no filters, brass body, small wire (look like dental floss), open wound coils (cheap and burn up over time)especially if they get any water on them.
Things to look for a good fuel solenoid. Viton piston, stainless steel body, epozy coil, large wire leads.
Things to look for a bad fuel solenoid. Again black rubber, brass body, open wound coil, dental floss wire.

the large wire can handle more amp draw. More amp draw help the noid open at any temp. Some solenoid can only open at 1000 psi when cold. (when was the last time any engine compartment was cold). also a little more amp draw means the solenoid opens faster. There are some companies I have used that the nitrous solenoid would not open 900psi and above.
The brass bodies noids out there that do work I listed them due to the fact man are they ugly after time get ahold of them.

No I have read several people talk about there solenoid stuck open. There are only a couple of things that stick a noid open.
1. trasher between the piston and seat( hense the need for a filter)
2. wire incorrect, or electrical failure of the relay or micro switch ( contacts got stuck together.
3. piston is swollen. This is only on fuel or black rubber nitrous.
Fuel piston can swell if you use alcohol on a gas piston or gas on an alcohol piston.

Anyway enough rambl'n hope this helps.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by o2bird
Dude don't you have some other stuff to do before you get nitrous

what....like actually get the car back into one piece......yeah I guess I should work on that first.......