Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to nitrous, have a few questions regarding my set up..

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New to nitrous, have a few questions regarding my set up..

Hello,

I plan on running some spray in the future, most likely next year but want to start putting some thought a research into what I want to do. I have a few questions that I'm not 100% sure about based on my searching so maybe some of you n2o experts can chime in.

1.) Based on my set up I'm putting together (in my sig) I plan to run close to 11 to 1 compression. I know I'll need colder plugs, but will there be any negative effects on the motor spraying with higher compression if the tune is set up correctly?

2.) My SS4000 is a non-nitrous converter.. how much will it be able to take before it blows through it? I only plan to spray occassionally.. I ask because my motor is out now so my converter is easy to remove. If it won't work well up to a 125-150 shot, it may be best to swap it now.

3.) Any advantages of a 92 plate kit over a universal set up? Seems like it's a bump in price but is it worth it? Trying to keep it somewhat budget but want to have an efficient kit. I will have an upgrade racetronix pump w/ hot wire kit and 42lb injectors.

I know some of these are basic questions I'm sure, but I'm real new to this so any info on what may work best or what to expect is greatly appreciated. In the mean time I'll keep searching old posts and keep learning.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2017, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RollinSScamaro
Hello,

I plan on running some spray in the future, most likely next year but want to start putting some thought a research into what I want to do. I have a few questions that I'm not 100% sure about based on my searching so maybe some of you n2o experts can chime in.

1.) Based on my set up I'm putting together (in my sig) I plan to run close to 11 to 1 compression. I know I'll need colder plugs, but will there be any negative effects on the motor spraying with higher compression if the tune is set up correctly?

2.) My SS4000 is a non-nitrous converter.. how much will it be able to take before it blows through it? I only plan to spray occassionally.. I ask because my motor is out now so my converter is easy to remove. If it won't work well up to a 125-150 shot, it may be best to swap it now.

3.) Any advantages of a 92 plate kit over a universal set up? Seems like it's a bump in price but is it worth it? Trying to keep it somewhat budget but want to have an efficient kit. I will have an upgrade racetronix pump w/ hot wire kit and 42lb injectors.

I know some of these are basic questions I'm sure, but I'm real new to this so any info on what may work best or what to expect is greatly appreciated. In the mean time I'll keep searching old posts and keep learning.

Thanks!
I'm no expert but here is what I know:
1- Nitrous loves compression. BR7 is the plug you need for that range shot
2- The SS4000 should be fine for 125-150. Plenty of people do it
3- If you have a 78mm TB stick to the 78 plate EDIT I see now that you will be planning a 92/92...run a 92 plate. The pump and injectors should be perfect for you goals.

My car in sig set-up is very similar to what you are proposing.

Last edited by ragtopz28; 01-29-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Imo if you're only planning on 150 a single nozzle setup will work just as well as the plate and can be had much cheaper. Those plate setups that nitrous outlet has do look badass though.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I had converter problems when first running nitrous. Not your brand but a high end Converter. I ended taking mine out 3 times using the internet as a research tool. My advise would be to call the converter builder and get it tuned to your application.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the replies. On yanks website they claim the SS series is good for nitrous application, but I've heard of some saying 150 shots were blowing through theirs.. the most I'll honestly ever run would be 150 and will probably start at 100..

Are there any advantages of using the plate kit? They do look nice and seem to make it a clean install under the hood.. I know there are a lot of accessories with nitrous that add up quick.. seems like you could drop 1500-1800 easily with a 92 plate kit, heater, remote opener, gauge, switches, lingenfelter modules, etc. What have you guys seen for total cost?

Another question I meant to ask was regarding piston gap.. will stock gap be okay for occasional 150 and below shots or should I have the machine shop gap them?
Old 01-29-2017, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RollinSScamaro
Thanks for the replies. On yanks website they claim the SS series is good for nitrous application, but I've heard of some saying 150 shots were blowing through theirs.. the most I'll honestly ever run would be 150 and will probably start at 100..

Are there any advantages of using the plate kit? They do look nice and seem to make it a clean install under the hood.. I know there are a lot of accessories with nitrous that add up quick.. seems like you could drop 1500-1800 easily with a 92 plate kit, heater, remote opener, gauge, switches, lingenfelter modules, etc. What have you guys seen for total cost?

Another question I meant to ask was regarding piston gap.. will stock gap be okay for occasional 150 and below shots or should I have the machine shop gap them?
On the converter, there's only one way to find out.
IMHO I like the plate (though never run a nozzle). You WILL need a heater, switch panel, and a window switch. I personally do not run a FPSS (had nothing but problems) or a timing puller, just had my tuner tune for a 150 shot (still runs fine N/A).
I believe stock pistons and gap are fine for 150 and below. Did you do forged pistons on the rebuild?
Old 01-29-2017, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah it sounds like it should handle up to 150 from the sound of it and what I've read in old posts..

I do like the way the plate system bolts in just wasn't sure if it was worth the added cost or not.. maybe there is some performance gains from it? Are they capable of 2 stage hits? Such as doing a 50-100 out of the hole and 100-150 the rest of the way?

I am using my stock pistons on the rebuild, trying to keep it budget and didn't want to do a forged 347 because it seemed kind of wasteful for my goals. Stock pistons should be good for 150 and below though right?
Old 01-29-2017, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Your fine (if your tune is right). I've run a 150 on SBE for years. I use a NOS mini controller and you can bring it in in stages or progressive. Me, just 150 out of the hole. You may want to start saving for a rear though......
Old 01-29-2017, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get the nitrous outlet hard lined plate kit and be done with it. Add in LNC2000 and a progressive just for ease of wiring.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I'm sure my rear is a done deal this year lol.. I'm not too familiar with the lnc2000 and progressive controllers so I'll have to look into them and do a little more research.. how do they play a role in the ease of wiring?

Ragtop how are your 60 ft times spraying out of the hole? You running slicks and adjustable suspension?
Old 01-29-2017, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LNC2000 lets you pull timing, The progressive controller lets you wire into the tach signal and throttle position sensor. No need for wide open throttle switches or separate window switches. Everything is integrated into the progressive controller. I personally use a LNC2000 and Nos mini.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

NOS mini and no LNC2000.
1.46 60' full weight car Single adjustable front and rear with M/T 275/50-15 Drag radials.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jblankenship
LNC2000 lets you pull timing, The progressive controller lets you wire into the tach signal and throttle position sensor. No need for wide open throttle switches or separate window switches. Everything is integrated into the progressive controller. I personally use a LNC2000 and Nos mini.
Thanks for explaining, makes sense in my case to run the lnc 2000 because I won't be running a nitrous tune all the time. I have been looking at all of the kits and seems like I was pretty close assuming 1500-1800..

Ragtop that's pretty impressive! Sounds like my suspension and tires would hold up well then since I'll be switching to QA1's. Just gotta get my rear end swapped before i even consider spraying out of the hole.. do a lot of people typically flip there switch once they hit 2nd gear if they don't spray out of the hole?
Old 01-29-2017, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

The NOS mini will let you "hit" when ever...set for 2nd or ramp it in. Before I put in the S60 I was having it come on full about 10-15' out of the hole and it was still in the 1.5x range. The 10 bolt was still alive when I removed it.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK cool, It's all starting to make a little more sense to me now..sounds like once you get it installed and get the lnc 2000 and mini progressive set up its pretty easy to use. I will see if my rear lasts this year, if it does that means I'll be getting n20 next if not, I'll be buying a rear end.. I'd much rather get the n20 first lol
Old 01-29-2017, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The times in my sig are on a 10 bolt. Went 1.46 on the 10 bolt. I have a 9" and th400 now and been faster.

My list would be:
Nitrous outlet plate kit with hard lines
1/4 turn valve/filter/gauge set up
Purge kit
Bottle heater
Switch plate
LNC2000
Progressive controller of your choice
Spare bottle
Old 01-29-2017, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn maybe my 10 bolt will do better than I expect lol.. thanks for throwing the list together, I think I will end up going that route.. I'll most likely mount it in the spare tire compartment and do my switches and gauge in my center console.

I will probably start spending a little more time in this section and keep learning as I go.. I never thought I'd run spray until all of these newer vehicles started cracking 10s.. I just want to hurt their feelings when they don't beat me by much or if I beat them in my car with $20k total into it when they just dropped $60-80k lol.. especially the damn hell cats, they are ridiculous.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im researching a few parts for this still.. Im looking at progressives and i know the nos mini is popular, but ran across this one from nitrous outlet, just not sure if it's the same thing. I want to have the option to spray automatically in a desired gear and rpm.. Will this do that?

I bought a 92mm plate kit used so all I should need now is a blow down tube, heater, progressive, lnc-2000, and switch panel. I am thinking I'll skip the purge, but would like to run an auto opener for convenience. Any input is appreciated.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you wanting a progressive controller to be able to ramp nitrous in? The Winmax is a window switch with some other features but is not a progressive controller
Old 01-07-2018, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok cool, that's what I was wondering. If it's a street / occassional track car would I be better off just letting it hit all at once and run something like the winmax over a progressive? With the progressive if you decide you don't want the ramp in is it pretty easy to dial back or turn it off? Will either controller give the option for a 2nd gear hit at a specific rpm range? The winmax says gear lock out so I'm assuming it will, but not sure. I appreciate the info.

Quick Reply: New to nitrous, have a few questions regarding my set up..