Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I pull timing with lnc or hptuners

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Should I pull timing with lnc or hptuners

I have hptuners the car is 95% street car but want to know what everyone's thoughts are if I should pull timing through hptuners so I can log and know I'm pulling the correct timing or should I just purchase a lnc? I'm sure everyone will say a lnc it's so easily done and on the fly but I don't plan to spray when I'm on the street ( kids are always in the car) just thinking what I should do. Also what's everyone's thoughts on what 78mm plate kit pulling fuel from the rail.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...MzYeKlgLM2MyFg

Check ot this thread. It is possible to log timing pulled through the lnc but the table wasnt posted when i asked and I havent looked into it anymore. The traction control is what I'll be trying first that way it shows up in the log as actual timing. The iat works well and it shows in the log as well.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:54 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the link! Great read
Old 02-02-2017, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Pulling timing witth hptuners is the cheapest and safest way of doing it. But it just like hiding a bottle in the spare tire well with out a opener. Say someone pulls up next to you on the highway and thinks hes faster than you. What are you gonna do ask him to wait while you pull over and get out to open your bottle or change the tune?
Old 02-03-2017, 10:58 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A lot of guys like to use the LNC 2000 to pull timing from their all motor tune that was done using HP tuners because they do not want to drive on a tune that has timing taken out of the map. For instance and this is just an example not hard numbers. If we were in a perfect world and 6 Degrees of timing was taken out for your 150hp tune you would feel 6 degrees of timing taken out of your car if you were not spraying nitrous. It would be under powered for sure. So using the LNC 2000 in conjunction with your tune is the best way to keep your power when not using nitrous and if you wire it up (LNC 2000) the orange wire to the nitrous arming switch, the LNC 2000 will pull the designated amount of timing programmed into the box allowing you to spray nitrous. Once you are done with nitrous you turn off the arming switch and your ignition timing is restored back to the HP tuners all motor tune.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

Why would you have to switch your tune?

Most guys set it up on a 5 pin relay. Iat passes right through the relay and behaves like normal while street driving. Have your activation switch for nitrous ground that relay and give the ecu a -40° signal and pull timing. No need to change tune if you use the iat tricker
Old 02-03-2017, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another HPtuners method

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...post1565731160
Old 02-05-2017, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

Ok where are you guys moving the iat then for a plate set up?
Old 02-07-2017, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LNC-2000 is the best way. I have it and I love it. There cheap enough.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by tug686spd
Pulling timing witth hptuners is the cheapest and safest way of doing it. But it just like hiding a bottle in the spare tire well with out a opener. Say someone pulls up next to you on the highway and thinks hes faster than you. What are you gonna do ask him to wait while you pull over and get out to open your bottle or change the tune?
There is a way to tune using the traction control function. You can set it so that it only pulls timing when the N2O is armed, and you can actually log it. I got tired of looking at LNC 2000 wires in my engine bay.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

You don't need to use the traction control function or switch tunes. You just set the lowest value (or a value so low you'll never ACTUALLY hit it in the table) to pull however much timing you need.

Set up your resistor for the iat on a 5 pin relay that turns on at the same time your nitrous solenoids come on. There should be a good writeup on here If you Google "iat timing tricker"
Old 02-18-2017, 12:15 AM
FormerVendor

Default LNC timing retard output

Originally Posted by tug686spd
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...MzYeKlgLM2MyFg

Check ot this thread. It is possible to log timing pulled through the lnc but the table wasnt posted when i asked and I havent looked into it anymore. The traction control is what I'll be trying first that way it shows up in the log as actual timing. The iat works well and it shows in the log as well.
No table is needed in EFILive - they already have the analog input scaling listed in the available logging variables and it does the scaling for you (converting the voltage to degrees of retard).

If you are using some other data logging device (HPTuners Pro cable, etc.) then you need to make a math channel to convert the voltage to degrees retard.

The LNC analog output signal for timing retard is (per the product instructions):
Timing retard analog output
The LNC-2000 provides an analog voltage output that indicates the amount
of timing retard that is being applied. The gray analog output wire provides a
linear 0 to 3 volt DC output with 0 volts indicating 0 degrees of timing retard
and 3 volts indicating 15 degrees of timing retard.
Here is the table also from the LNC-2000 instructions:

Degrees Voltage
0....... 0.0
1....... 0.2
2....... 0.4
3....... 0.6
4....... 0.8
5....... 1.0
6....... 1.2
7....... 1.4
8....... 1.6
9....... 1.8
10...... 2.0
11...... 2.2
12...... 2.4
13...... 2.6
14...... 2.8
15...... 3.0

Hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

ProServ thanks for that info. I actually just installed a new Lnc200 yesterday on a friends car (I'm cheap and buy used stuff 99% of time, usually with no instructions). Going through the instructions I saw the table you posted and snapped a pic i was going to post in that other thread. I understand why LPE didnt reply asking about the scaling, they probably figured if he cant read the instructions thats his fault.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

We like to use EFI COS5 in cars where its available. It adds a nitrous timing table and pulls whatever amount you put in the table when pin 56 is grounded on the pcm. If you wire it up t ground the wire when the nitrous activates you have best of best worlds with no extra controller.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Custom OS alternative

The custom OS's work well too.

If a custom OS isn't available, we make an E85 sensor signal simulator module (ECSS-001) that can be connected to any GM vehicle (and others) that accepts Siemens/VDO/Continental ethanol content sensors, like those used in the GM LSx cars. You can then reprogram the E85 tables in the ECM/PCM to modify spark and fuel based on an external trigger (nitrous active, higher boost, manual switch on the dash for high/low octane, etc.).

The LNC does make it easier to change the timing retard amount at the track. No PC required. Just a screwdriver and it is done.

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
We like to use EFI COS5 in cars where its available. It adds a nitrous timing table and pulls whatever amount you put in the table when pin 56 is grounded on the pcm. If you wire it up t ground the wire when the nitrous activates you have best of best worlds with no extra controller.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:03 PM
Teching In

We pull our timing with the LNC-2000 as well. Love it.

Quick Reply: Should I pull timing with lnc or hptuners