Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(Updated 3/14/17)Do i need to lean it out? 100 shot .4 tenths and only 5 mph

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 10:18 AM
9 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default (Updated 3/14/17)Do i need to lean it out? 100 shot .4 tenths and only 5 mph

Hey Guys finally got a WB on the car just for A/F monitoring its an MTX-L. Using the software the provide for logging. File will be attached.

Set up is a NOS mini to come on out the gate and have the window set at 3600-6700, Nitrous outlet 90mm plate kit running the recommended jet sizes for the 100 shot 52n 23f. Car makes about 490ish NA.

On motor its went 11.2 at 119 1.5x 60ft and on the 100 shot went 10.8 at 125 1.5x 60ft. I was just wondering if this was correct. I looked at the WB logs and it seem to go all the way down too 10.7 afr. I am new to reading logs and was looking for some help if i need to adjust fuel jet etc. Thanks in advance guys.

Bottle pressure was at 950 on this run. The file has to be extracted and you have to have the software innovate give for free .
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Realtimelog 1000.zip (4.6 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by soloman369; 03-14-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You really need to read the plugs and once the timing and fuel are where you want them by reading the plugs then you can use the wideband AFR as a reference. 10.7 will most likely be on the rich side for sure though.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:34 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
You really need to read the plugs and once the timing and fuel are where you want them by reading the plugs then you can use the wideband AFR as a reference. 10.7 will most likely be on the rich side for sure though.
Thank you for the reply. As far as reading plugs I really don't know how to do that. As far as timing goes I have four degrees pulled out I'm just going by the rule of thumb 2 for every 50. I was thinking of either adding a degree or taking out a degree and seeing if the mile per hour changes. Also all motor the AF is about 12 3.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I would lean it a little before messing with timing.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:38 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
I would lean it a little before messing with timing.
What jet size would you recommend? 22 or 21.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make a hit and check the plugs. There are a lot of good threads in the section on reading plugs and I have learned a lot. When I first ran my nitrous system the wideband showed low 10.x reading and had a pop to it. I chased my tail trying to pull fuel out and it made it worse. I checked a plug It was actually too lean and I needed MORE fuel. The wideband is a nice tool but it absolutely doesn't replace reading the plugs.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:39 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by baronsmith98
Make a hit and check the plugs. There are a lot of good threads in the section on reading plugs and I have learned a lot. When I first ran my nitrous system the wideband showed low 10.x reading and had a pop to it. I chased my tail trying to pull fuel out and it made it worse. I checked a plug It was actually too lean and I needed MORE fuel. The wideband is a nice tool but it absolutely doesn't replace reading the plugs.
Yes that why i got a WB as a tool for starting point in the right direction. I have herd of them being off but never have I herd them being the complete opposite like in your case. Did you ever happen find out why the WB was so far off?

*Also run the br7 plugs I read back and saw i forgot to mention that.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

No I never found out. I am going to swap the O2 out soon and see if that was it but I don't even pay attention to the reading now
Old 02-23-2017, 02:52 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by baronsmith98
No I never found out. I am going to swap the O2 out soon and see if that was it but I don't even pay attention to the reading now
So you never look at the WB after you read the plugs and corrected the issue to see what it read?
Old 02-23-2017, 05:25 PM
TECH Resident

Correct. The plugs don't lie as long as you do the procedure correctly. You can see what each individual cylinder is doing with reading plugs instead of just seeing left side bank and right side bank. After I got my tune sorted out for a specific hp setting I just run it now. I will put a fresh plug in my hottest cylinder from time to time just to check it
Old 02-24-2017, 12:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

Add my vote into the plug reading pile. An o2 sensor will only tell part of the story. Reading the plugs will tell you much more than the wideband ever will.

If you aren't confident in plug reading, there are a couple old NASCAR writeups you can find that go into good detail on what to look for. If you don't want to try, you can dial in the wideband on very conservative timing, then bring it back in.

Once AFR is where you want to target, start adding timing back in until MPH falls off OR once the knock sensors show you that you're having detonation. Then, you can try to fight the detonation by either adding fuel, or just pulling the timing back off. This is why tuning with the wideband should come second to the plugs.

If you want, put a fresh set of plugs in, immediately make a pass, shut it down at the stripe. Tow back to the pits (or just pull the plugs on the side of the road if you're into street tuning) and cut off the threads so we can see the entire porcelain. Take a pic of the porcelain, and take a pic of the timing strap also. If you post high quality pics of these in decent light, there should be enough guys on here to help get you straightened out (and maybe even give a quick and dirty plug reading lesson for you if you want)
Old 02-24-2017, 04:48 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
Add my vote into the plug reading pile. An o2 sensor will only tell part of the story. Reading the plugs will tell you much more than the wideband ever will.

If you aren't confident in plug reading, there are a couple old NASCAR writeups you can find that go into good detail on what to look for. If you don't want to try, you can dial in the wideband on very conservative timing, then bring it back in.

Once AFR is where you want to target, start adding timing back in until MPH falls off OR once the knock sensors show you that you're having detonation. Then, you can try to fight the detonation by either adding fuel, or just pulling the timing back off. This is why tuning with the wideband should come second to the plugs.

If you want, put a fresh set of plugs in, immediately make a pass, shut it down at the stripe. Tow back to the pits (or just pull the plugs on the side of the road if you're into street tuning) and cut off the threads so we can see the entire porcelain. Take a pic of the porcelain, and take a pic of the timing strap also. If you post high quality pics of these in decent light, there should be enough guys on here to help get you straightened out (and maybe even give a quick and dirty plug reading lesson for you if you want)
Unfortunately I don't have that luxury at the track to push the car to the line or to pull it back. I would have to do Street test with those. So I was checking the plug that you have to take off all of them or just the ones that are easy accessible?
Old 02-24-2017, 11:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

A lot of tracks (I know mine does at least) has enough room to coast and pull off to the side before you get your time slip. It's not ideal, but you can pull two plugs (one from each side) and put two fresh ones in so you can drive back.

After you tune it close off those two plugs, find a time so you can pull all 8. Then find which cylinder is the most temperamental, and tune off that one from there on out.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

My car traps 119-121 N/A and I gain 9-10mph on a hundred shot. 12-13 on 150.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:40 AM
9 Second Club

Just to update. Finally got time to log WOT NA and car is running rich NA, last time i logged i only logged the nitrous run. I'm assuming this is due too me swapping out to bigger headers and true 3in duals. The AFR are showing about 11.8-.12.0. I'm going to get that dialed in with my tuner first, then test the kit again. I'm fighting an already rich tune.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple questions:

How much timing are you pulling?

Is the wideband consistent from motor to n2o pulls?

First off, do not fight detonation with more fuel. Do not wait to see knock on the sensors to pull more timing, it will be too late. For a 100 hit, I would pull timing back 5-6 to start at a safe point. Then while at the track adjust the fuel jet until you have the best ET with consistent 60' times. Then start plug pull runs to see how timing looks. You can not really chase the perfect plug, timing or A/F. The slip will tell you what the motor wants. I'm in the camp of keep timing safe and go up on nitrous jet size for more power, not try to run timing to the ragged edge.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:26 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by jblankenship
Couple questions:

How much timing are you pulling?

Is the wideband consistent from motor to n2o pulls?

First off, do not fight detonation with more fuel. Do not wait to see knock on the sensors to pull more timing, it will be too late. For a 100 hit, I would pull timing back 5-6 to start at a safe point. Then while at the track adjust the fuel jet until you have the best ET with consistent 60' times. Then start plug pull runs to see how timing looks. You can not really chase the perfect plug, timing or A/F. The slip will tell you what the motor wants. I'm in the camp of keep timing safe and go up on nitrous jet size for more power, not try to run timing to the ragged edge.
I have 4 degrees pulled for the 100 shot. My AFR are conistiant the 2 pull on nitrous it went 10.7 on the wideband. The 5 pulls I did on motor AFR were consistant 11.8 to 12.0. Like I said my tune is already rich I'm going to get that diailed in first. Then after ill see were the nitrous is at after I get the NA tune dialed in .
Old 03-05-2017, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by soloman369
Just to update. Finally got time to log WOT NA and car is running rich NA, last time i logged i only logged the nitrous run. I'm assuming this is due too me swapping out to bigger headers and true 3in duals. The AFR are showing about 11.8-.12.0. I'm going to get that dialed in with my tuner first, then test the kit again. I'm fighting an already rich tune.
I'm in the same boat, swapped to bigger headers and true duals and haven't returned. Planning on spraying a 100 shot as well. My question is shouldnt the tune be leaner and not richer since you are now moving more air?
Old 03-05-2017, 01:24 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jtm2085
I'm in the same boat, swapped to bigger headers and true duals and haven't returned. Planning on spraying a 100 shot as well. My question is shouldnt the tune be leaner and not richer since you are now moving more air?
From my understanding the computer might sense a lean condition and compensate for it thus making a rich condition. I think idk though.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That makes sense. I also swapped from a fast 92 to a 102 as well to my tune is further off than yours I'm sure.

Quick Reply: (Updated 3/14/17)Do i need to lean it out? 100 shot .4 tenths and only 5 mph