Sponsored by:

3 wire nitrous solenoid drivers

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 08:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 wire nitrous solenoid drivers

Hi all,
I have been busy setting up my LQ09 402 with a new NOS sportsman fogger wet kit. it's my first time playing with nitrous so it's been a steep learning curve as I go tinkering in the garage at home.
I have no probs with the mechanical side of things. The nitrous hardware is all installed on a new Super victor manifold with Wilson spacer and burst discs plus a Fast 4 barrel T/B. Also a complete 2nd fuel system in the trunk, new 1 7/8 long tube 4 into 1 extractors, a line lock kit and Full spool. Finally a NOS progressive launcher has been installed with a bottle heater also.
I have wired every thing up except for the relay trigger cable .I bought two Holley p/n 544-111 high current nitrous solenoid drivers. One for each pair of solenoids. The power is connected to both relays with their output wires connected to the solenoids.
Now the Nos controller instructions say to connect the earth side of the solenoids to the heavy blue wire on the control module. But because I'm now using the 3 wire relays which have a negative trigger wire. Should I connect the relay black/yellow trigger wire to the heavy blue cable of the control module. Then allowing the controller to modulate the solid state relays on and off, driving the solenoids which would then be just grounded to the chassis. If this isn't correct, exactly where should I join the black/yellow trigger to the NOS launcher? Any help would be really appreciated. I think it's the final piece in the puzzle.
P.S Am I supposed to use a bottle down tube through the floor of the trunk. Or is that only when mounting inside the drivers cabin?
Thanks
Old 02-25-2017, 12:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone?
Old 02-27-2017, 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

I'm confused on what you are asking. Which part number NOS product are you using? are you using the $450 "Launcher" or just the mini progressive controller?

Either way, the hot (12V+) side of the solenoids should receive constant power from a relay when the activation switch is armed. To engage the solenoids, the circuit is completed by closing the ground side of the circuit. This is done through the heavy blue wire of the controller. The controller has its own solid state drivers that can safely PWM the solenoid via ground. There should be no need for the 3 wire solenoid drivers you are using because the NOS unit itself can handle up to 40 amps which is plenty to drive those solenoids.

Quick Reply: 3 wire nitrous solenoid drivers