Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone run straight methanol or mix with a big shot?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone run straight methanol or mix with a big shot?

Need some advice from the nitrous guru's, Right now I have a sbc 350, 11:1 C/R, forged pistons, GM "X" rods (have no idea if there forged or what, gonna order a forged crank+rods soon) and am very interested in running straight methanol or possibly a mix 50-85%, I tear my engines down every fall so it should be ok, I wanna run atleast a 250 shot if not more, I plan on getting a nitrous/retard controller also, anyone have any insight on this?

~Chris
Old 08-21-2004, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Sorry I cant provide any experience, but I'm thinking about doing the same thing. I was thinking about propane injection but there are too many problems related to keeping it a liquid (purge? heh, no thx ), and as a gas too many problems with trying to PWM it.

So today I finally gave in and decided to do methanol via a seperate engine bay mounted tank.

The biggest problem i'm faced with right now is a big enough fuel system to drive the methanol. Since it needs to be fed at 6.5:1 AF ratio, it seems like you'll need twice as large a fuel system (includign the fuel lines & solenoids) to pump it. IE: a 500HP fuel delivery system to deliver 250hp worth of methanol.

I may be off base here (IE: is methanol lighter, and thusly flows easier?) but if so I'm sure someone will chime in to skool me. I hope so.

Steve
Old 08-22-2004, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I Bryan at NX had a methanol setup on his direct port kit a long time ago. I never got a chance to see it run but from what I heard it ran really well. Give Dave a call at the nitrous outlet I'm sure he could help you with any questions you may have.