Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous PROBLEMS!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 12:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Nitrous PROBLEMS!!

Ok heres the deal, I went to race last night, on my first run I ran a 12.3 N/A @ 113mph. My 2nd run I sprayed a 100 dry shot & ran a 12.114 @ 113mph. The bottle pressure was on 1150 so that wasnt a factor. Before my cam & tune I ran a 11.002 spraying no jets & a 11.220 with 100 shot jets. Every since I got my cam & springs & tune I have yet to even break 11's again. I know a bigger fuel pump would help a little. Or could it be my verter? You can feel it kick in, but theres no power there? anyone have a anwser? Or a guess? BTW my mods are in my sig. Thanks, Vann
Old 08-14-2004, 12:50 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Line leak, stuck solenoid, debris in nozzle, bad trans., bad conv., ...how many miles on the trans.?
Old 08-14-2004, 01:03 PM
10 Second Club

You can feel it kick in, It feels likeits running faster but NOT! The trans has 81,000 in it but its still in perfect condition. It does feel like its kinda skipping while on the spray, but i dont know if thats the fuel pump not being able to keep up with the motor or what. I have checked all the lines for leaks and both solenoids are working properly. It ran fine before my cam & tune? do you think it has to much lift for the bottle?
Old 08-14-2004, 03:11 PM
Restricted User

Well, without looking into anything I would say that is a ton of miles for a car that gets raced ...ah, frequently...and it's the stock trans. with just a conv. and cooler?

Run a line pressure check on the trans., see if it's performing up to par. Check the fluid for burnt smell or discoloration.

If you can definately hear the motor "R" up when you hit the nitrous, something is slipping. It's very hard to "internet diagnose" a car, computer, etc. though...without doing some simple checks first.
Old 08-14-2004, 04:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
Well, without looking into anything I would say that is a ton of miles for a car that gets raced ...ah, frequently...and it's the stock trans. with just a conv. and cooler?

Run a line pressure check on the trans., see if it's performing up to par. Check the fluid for burnt smell or discoloration.

If you can definately hear the motor "R" up when you hit the nitrous, something is slipping. It's very hard to "internet diagnose" a car, computer, etc. though...without doing some simple checks first.
it is a stock trans with a 24,000 cooler, The fluid is fine, I just changed it yesterday, The old trans. fluid was fine also no discoloration or burnt smell, I try to change the fluid around every 6000 miles. I have never had any problems out of my trans. Except for the lockup solenoid be broke. Thats already been fixed.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:09 PM
10 Second Club

I just got back from spraying my car & It didnt do the whole skipping thing. But i also never got over 90mph & the A/F was running rich this time. could it be that its running out of gas like where the fuel pump cant keep up? & the FPSS is shutting off & on? Its still a stock fuel pump.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

First, you are having a serious problem seing your MPH didn't change at all.
I have seen FPSS act real strange when fuel pressure gets low. They can flicker on/off real fast kinda like a progressive controller. The easiest/ best way to check for that is to run an idiot light inside the car that is wired up to you solenoids.( it lights up only when the solenoids are open) Then do a full pass and look for it to flicker or shut off during the pass.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:20 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 860 Performance
First, you are having a serious problem seing your MPH didn't change at all.
I have seen FPSS act real strange when fuel pressure gets low. They can flicker on/off real fast kinda like a progressive controller. The easiest/ best way to check for that is to run an idiot light inside the car that is wired up to you solenoids.( it lights up only when the solenoids are open) Then do a full pass and look for it to flicker or shut off during the pass.
Thats a good idea! Ill have to try that sometime this week..Thanks
Old 08-22-2004, 01:02 PM
10 Second Club

Figured out my problem!! I went yesterday to dyno my car, When we decided to make a nitrous run I wanted to watch because I have a MTI clear lid. I noticed that it would barely spray & after a sec. or two it would just stop spraying.. SO I knew it was cutting off b/c I only got 30hp. So I unhooked the FPSS & wired the two together then made another run, much better got 85rwhp on a 100 dry shot & you could really feel it kick in this time.. Theres the problem the stupid FPSS!!!! is anyone not running one of these? My A/F was pretty much straight across the board 13.1 to 1 a little lean..Any thing I should watch for? I have read were alot of people were having problems with the FPSS being bad.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I personally dont run a fpss, not saying that is a good decision. I do have a fuel perssure gauge in the car and a killer fuel pump. The fpss is probably fine, just not adjusted properly. Have you tried adjusting it yet?
Old 08-22-2004, 02:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 860 Performance
I personally dont run a fpss, not saying that is a good decision. I do have a fuel perssure gauge in the car and a killer fuel pump. The fpss is probably fine, just not adjusted properly. Have you tried adjusting it yet?
How do you adjust it? I took the rubber piece out of the front of the FPSS to see if there was somewhere to adjust it, but I didnt see anyplace.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

After you pop the rubber peice off, stick an allen wrench in it. I dont remeber what size allen wrench it is off the top of my head. maybe around 3/16".

Back it off two turns and try a pass. (again, the idiot light is key here). If it is still tripping, try another turn or two. Repeat as necessary.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

What fuel pump are you running?
Old 08-22-2004, 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cheatin' Chad
What fuel pump are you running?
its still stock right now! until next week
Old 08-22-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

I think that's your problem. Not the FPSS itself. The FPSS is probably shutting you down because your fuel pressure is dropping off.So disconnecting will make that problem stop but you're leaning out your motor now I would imagine.Personally, I wouldn't use it until you upgrade your fuel system.

The cam and other mods are demand alot of fuel. Add that to you dry shot and that probably means you're overtaxing your pump and or injectors.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Put the FPSS back on and get yourself a fuel pump (Racetronix PNP) and injectors (30lbs). (Don't forget tuning)
Old 08-23-2004, 07:33 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cheatin' Chad
I think that's your problem. Not the FPSS itself. The FPSS is probably shutting you down because your fuel pressure is dropping off.So disconnecting will make that problem stop but you're leaning out your motor now I would imagine.Personally, I wouldn't use it until you upgrade your fuel system.

The cam and other mods are demand alot of fuel. Add that to you dry shot and that probably means you're overtaxing your pump and or injectors.
On the dyno, after I unhooked the FPSS with a 100 shot the a/f was pretty much straight across the board. It ran a little rich until about 5900rpm then the A/F went to 13/1 That was as lean as it got. I think Im going to put a fuel pump on then convert to wet. Thanks, for all the opinions, Vann