Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Medical Grade Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Medical Grade Nitrous

My *friend* has access to medical grade nitrous is there any benefit to this ? It would be use on a 423 ls1.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:25 PM
10 Second Club

Nope, it should be the same purity and nitrous+ with sulfer dioxide. I remember reading a side by side test on this subject, the medical came in at like 97% pure and the + at 98% or something around those numbers.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
Nope, it should be the same purity and nitrous+ with sulfer dioxide. I remember reading a side by side test on this subject, the medical came in at like 97% pure and the + at 98% or something around those numbers.
I think the only down side to the sulfer though is it clogs lines over time.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

I disagree with you 100%. The sulpher is added in to keep people from inhaling the gas, that same sulpher goes into your noids and and jetts and can seperate and clogg them. Check your plugs sometime after you run it thru the system, the sulpher turns the electrode ring green. If you have access to medical grade N20 I'd use it and do. How can anything with additives be as close to 100% pure as something without them?

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
Old 05-15-2005, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ther is NO advantage.
There is only a maximum of 100 parts per million, thats .001% sulfer dioxide maximum. I have used both and definetly can not tell the difference. Why would you think that small ammount of sulfer could possibly clog a jet? Have you seen that or are you speculating?

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
I disagree with you 100%. The sulpher is added in to keep people from inhaling the gas, that same sulpher goes into your noids and and jetts and can seperate and clogg them. Check your plugs sometime after you run it thru the system, the sulpher turns the electrode ring green. If you have access to medical grade N20 I'd use it and do. How can anything with additives be as close to 100% pure as something without them?
Old 05-15-2005, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sulfer IS corrosive and over time will create cloggs due to it corroding the screens in the fittings with possibly pieces breaking loose and hanging a solenoid open... for anyone who have sprayed 20+ bottles of nytrous plus pull your feed fitting and i'll bet there will be signs of corrosion... the older the install the more likely hood of clogging. and yes i have seen it first hand..
Old 05-15-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Huh, I have sprayed over 20 bottles, what does it look like? I'll go take a look.

Originally Posted by Chicago Z06
Sulfer IS corrosive and over time will create cloggs due to it corroding the screens in the fittings with possibly pieces breaking loose and hanging a solenoid open... for anyone who have sprayed 20+ bottles of nytrous plus pull your feed fitting and i'll bet there will be signs of corrosion... the older the install the more likely hood of clogging. and yes i have seen it first hand..
Old 05-18-2005, 12:22 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

The amount of sulfur in the Nitrous Plus is so small that the corrision side of things does not matter. The greening on a plug I have only seen that with a antifreeze leak. The coloration on a plug is mainly driven by the fuel and what is in it. Additives detergents, water etc. Medical grade and Nitrous Plus perform the same. The clogging of jet again not real likely in our life time but if your nitrous is extremly dirty and you do not use a filter you deserve to have something bad happen to you. You did not take the precaution to stop it.
One thing that everyone seems to miss. You and your freind get caught with medical grade you will be in big trouble. Pure nitrous is a controlled substance and you have to have a licence to handle it. A medical licence. So use it or not the results are going to be the same.
Ricky
Old 05-18-2005, 05:45 PM
10 Second Club

I just checked the lines and fittings on my refill station when switching bottles today. No signs of corrosion that I can see. The set up is 6 years old.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I checked mine too, just to amuse myself, clean as a whistle.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

i would suspect the only advantage would be if you can get it cheaper?
Old 05-19-2005, 05:46 PM
TECH Junkie

a few ppl around here run medical grade, they think it is better. that could be complete speculation. they are also much older, so the early street nitrous could have been much worse quality than the currently available stuff.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

I would have two bottles, one medical and one for the car... $5 bayloon... sorry, got offered it a few times in daytona, lol.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Ricky even though it is a controlled substance do you really think the police are going to test it to determine if it's medical grade or not? I seriously doubt it. If I can get the medical grade N20 I'm going to use it before the nytrous stuff.

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
The amount of sulfur in the Nitrous Plus is so small that the corrision side of things does not matter. The greening on a plug I have only seen that with a antifreeze leak. The coloration on a plug is mainly driven by the fuel and what is in it. Additives detergents, water etc. Medical grade and Nitrous Plus perform the same. The clogging of jet again not real likely in our life time but if your nitrous is extremly dirty and you do not use a filter you deserve to have something bad happen to you. You did not take the precaution to stop it.
One thing that everyone seems to miss. You and your freind get caught with medical grade you will be in big trouble. Pure nitrous is a controlled substance and you have to have a licence to handle it. A medical licence. So use it or not the results are going to be the same.
Ricky
Old 05-20-2005, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phoenix57
a few ppl around here run medical grade, they think it is better. that could be complete speculation. they are also much older, so the early street nitrous could have been much worse quality than the currently available stuff.
No the early n2o users could get medical grade only, and it was easy to get. Then it caught on as a way to get high, so they added the sulfur and made the clean stuff controlled. that's were the giggle gas comes from, gettin high. When I was younger, we allways joked about putting a spigot in the dash to access the bottle. probably not a good idea, spraying motor and nose at same time.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
Ricky even though it is a controlled substance do you really think the police are going to test it to determine if it's medical grade or not? I seriously doubt it. If I can get the medical grade N20 I'm going to use it before the nytrous stuff.
No the police will not test anything. What will happen is you will till a freind, that freind tells someone, so on and so on, and sooner or later it lands on some bleeding hart policy maker and the **** start rolling down hill. Think of like any secret, the only way to keep one is not to try showing off and telling the world about it.
I know it sucks there are always poeple sticking the nose in other people business it happen. Exp. I was pulled over in the camaro about 12 years back, just becuase I did have any cats on the car. Now how did the cop know that. And its Nitrous PLUS or (+) not nitrour stuff. Good luck use what you want, car will run the same.
Ricky
Old 05-20-2005, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Robert56
No the early n2o users could get medical grade only, and it was easy to get. Then it caught on as a way to get high, so they added the sulfur and made the clean stuff controlled. that's were the giggle gas comes from, gettin high. When I was younger, we allways joked about putting a spigot in the dash to access the bottle. probably not a good idea, spraying motor and nose at same time.
Now thats just wrong. " hey are we going any fast WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
Ricky
Old 05-20-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by stangh8r
i would suspect the only advantage would be if you can get it cheaper?
It is much cheaper actually.. Your paying for the added cost of bonding the sulfer with the nitrous due to the process.. I dont belive there is any legislation as of yet on selling pure nitrous, as long as you 18 years of age and dont use it for "huffing".. The reason why gas places dont sell it is the sheer liability factor.. You can imagine what would happen if they sold a bottle of it to somone that passed out behind the wheel using "balloons"..
Old 07-01-2006, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

Is it at all illegal to sell automotive grade nitrous, and do you need a medical licence to get medical grade?
Old 07-03-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

you do not need a permit or liscense to get automotive/industrial grade nitrous but you do need a permit to get medical grade nitrous. medical grade is regulated like anyother perscription drug.

all nitrous starts out as medical grade but when automotive/industrial bottles are filled at the distribution facility their is an additional line connected to the fill hose with either a valve or little red button that releases the sulphur into the fill stream.

the absolute only reason sulphur is added to to keap people from huffing the gas to get high and there is only supposed to be 100 parts per million but thats not always true.

till recently (about 2 years) medical grade would be sold intermixed with auto grade unintentionally but the FDA has been busting ***** so it doesnt really happen anymore.

Quick Reply: Medical Grade Nitrous