Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New clutch for the spray?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New clutch for the spray?

ive searched and came up short.mods in my sig,no N2O and my clutch is now slippin BAD.i have 43,000 miles on stock clutch, and maybe 3-4 bottles thru it.im going to get a semi-aggressive cam;F13-F14, very soon.BUT i need a new clutch first.ive heard good things about RAM HD.and thats my first choice, but i have yet to hear about these is nitrous-powered cars.so i just want to know what kind of luck you guys are having w/ these clutches,or which are better...i.e. McLeod?

BTW this car will see moderate track time.its my DD.and i dabble in a little street racing.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:56 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by '02SS
ive searched and came up short.mods in my sig,no N2O and my clutch is now slippin BAD.i have 43,000 miles on stock clutch, and maybe 3-4 bottles thru it.im going to get a semi-aggressive cam;F13-F14, very soon.BUT i need a new clutch first.ive heard good things about RAM HD.and thats my first choice, but i have yet to hear about these is nitrous-powered cars.so i just want to know what kind of luck you guys are having w/ these clutches,or which are better...i.e. McLeod?

BTW this car will see moderate track time.its my DD.and i dabble in a little street racing.
I recently installed a ram clutch & I am very happy with it so far (1k miles). It can chatter a little if you take off wrong. Another thing I noticed is that my stock clutch was slipping more than I realized because now I feel a lot more power when I shift.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

sweet.powergrip HD?will the chatter go away w/time? is it stiff? when does it chatter, when you dog it?

Last edited by '02SS; 07-16-2005 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the hurt on mine also, running a hard dual stg hit. I should get the Textralia Monday/Tuesday. Should check it out. Has held up to 1000hp and is close to stock on the pedal. I talked directly to them about hitting it with a 200hp n2o hit and they said no problemo. A lot of guys are running this Aussie clutch at corvetteforum. There's a thread going in the clutch section ls1tech right now.
Robert
Old 07-16-2005, 07:08 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by '02SS
sweet.powergrip HD?will the chatter go away w/time? is it stiff? when does it chatter, when you dog it?
It's not the HD, it's the 500 hp clutch. I did this because I did not want to buy a billet flywheel at this time. I just had the stocker resurfaced. It chatters when I am taking off real slow. It is very smooth at hard take offs. The pedal is a little stiffer but not much more than stock. I don't know if the chatter will diminish with time but I'm not bothered by the way it is now.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:40 AM
TECH Veteran

If you are still looking for a good daily driver, and you are still basically stock, and you are NOT going to go bigger than 150 shot, just use a Z06 clutch. Or step up the Mcleod single disk Kevlar. Back with I was still an M6, the Z06 clutch handled everthing up to 100 on a stock bottomend could give it. The Mcleod set up was great up to 150 shot. Neither gave up, both were replaced due to engine upgrades and than finally terminal tranny problems. Both are near stock feel on the street. I have never been a big fan of clutches that chatter, clunk - ram/spec has always been noted for that fact. More spray you do, the better clutch you'll need. I would also suggest you step up to an adjustable master.

David

Last edited by Navy David SS; 07-17-2005 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Junkie

what would you guys recommend for me? my specs are in my sig

that 175shot will probably be a 150, i don't have the kit yet

it'll see track time once and awhile but i like to drive it hard on the street...recommendations?

i have 20k on my car
Old 07-17-2005, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

navy david, isnt the Z06 clutch come stock in my 2002? i just want the RAM HD because they say you can just re-surface the stock flywheel.which ill just buy a billet one.and i dont know if i NEED the ADJ master.do u think i do.all i have in mind for my ride is new cam;TREX or FM14 or between those 2.a new clutch and beef up the rest of the drivetrain.ive also heard a LOT of bad things about the Z06 clutch.a lot of guys ive talked to at the track have said that the Mcleod adj master is a piece of but i dont know thats just what ive heard.how hard is it to change the master?
Old 07-17-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Not sure on the 2002 clutch. But if it lasted this long ??? If the Z06 clutch isn't good enough, step up to the Mcleod clutch. My Mcleod adjustable was great. It was a bitch to actually prime but once done it was great. I ran mine for 2 years without any problems with my adjustable. Going with the adjustable is insurance, not necessary. It is not all that hard to put in - since you'll have the tranny dropped any way.

Matt - I would go with the Mcleod Kevlar single disc -- I would still upgrade to the adj master.

One of the biggest/best "mod" is to have a good mechanic - someone that has done this more than once.

David

Last edited by Navy David SS; 07-17-2005 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Navy David SS
Matt - I would go with the Mcleod cevelar single disc -- I would still upgrade to the adj master.David
My recommendations as well
Old 07-17-2005, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

my pops has worked on a bunch of hot rods and i have worked on my car quite a bit, and i think with the aid of the beautiful Install University; im gonna give it a go w/ my dad and i.if i have probs, ill post, or ill head over to my buddys dads super rod shop for some advice.thanks again David.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks guys for the advice

before i go searching through all of the sponsors, what am I looking to pay for one of these?

and by "ajustable" does that mean the pedal response?
Old 07-17-2005, 11:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Matt. Take a look through the "sponsor" section for any group purchases. I never said they would be cheap now. BUT you get what you pay for. I have had great dealings with Thunder Racing and Texas Speed.

Adjustable: It is sortof dealing with response, but mainly it set the clamping of the clutch. Without any adjustable, you get what you put in. With the adjustable you can set more or less - again this deals with the clutch pedal higher or lower. You still need to set it up correctly - don't rely on the adjustable to correct mistakes on instal. Bleed the **** out of it.

Good luck to both of you. I invy any one that has access to a lift and someone with mechanical knowledge.

David
Old 07-18-2005, 01:34 AM
9 Second Club

I stayed with the stock MC with the drill mod done. I used a shim from Ram which I recommend anytime you resurface a flywheel on a slave/hydralic clutch. You can get them directly from Ram.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks code4 ill keep that in mind.

David, i dont have access to a lift, just 3-4 floorjack's, jackstand's and a bunch of 4x4 scrap's.LOL!
Old 07-18-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Navy David SS
Matt. Take a look through the "sponsor" section for any group purchases. I never said they would be cheap now. BUT you get what you pay for. I have had great dealings with Thunder Racing and Texas Speed.

Adjustable: It is sortof dealing with response, but mainly it set the clamping of the clutch. Without any adjustable, you get what you put in. With the adjustable you can set more or less - again this deals with the clutch pedal higher or lower. You still need to set it up correctly - don't rely on the adjustable to correct mistakes on instal. Bleed the **** out of it.

Good luck to both of you. I invy any one that has access to a lift and someone with mechanical knowledge.

David

cool thanks

is the adjustable worth my time? if i don't really know what i'm doing with it? lol
Old 07-18-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

You guys should try doing a clutch on a C5. You have to pull this (without a lift it's an ordeal):

To get to this.

Robert
Old 07-18-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

what is that an EXEDY clutch?